AI and bands for each school

<p>Just checked the NESCAC's. Averages there range from a 3.18 up to 3.6, with most of the schools being in the 3.3/3.4 range.</p>

<p>Interesting tidbit I learned at a visit today:</p>

<p>Don't blow off your writing section. The Ivy I visited said that for the SAT component of their AI they weigh the math section as 50% of the component, the reading section as 25% of the component, and the writing section as 25% of the component. This means that your writing score is just as important as your reading score (and your math score is actually as important as the two others combined). As far as I know, the only Ivy that has openly acknowledged that it takes into account the writing score is Cornell, and this school wasn't Cornell. It seems we are finally seeing a true recognition of the writing score at top schools, even if it is only relevant to athletes.</p>

<p>monstor344.....so bottom line is the online AI calculators are a useful tool, but Admissions has their own AI calculator based on weightings that are unique to the college or university. yes, i guess that is to be expected. based upon your recent conversation with an Ivy, they weigh the writing section for the AI, but not for non-athletes. that is very interesting.</p>

<p>^ Well it's still tough to say just how much the writing section matters for non-athletes, but it definitely does factor in for the athletes. My instinct tells me that it's starting to matter for non-athletes as well.</p>

<p>A friend in the Atl area told me yesterday about a recruit to a HYP--
(got in this yr and has a dorm room assignment already!)
the AdCom told this athlete that they averaged the CR/Writing portion for one part and the math stood on its own.</p>

<p>^ The Ivy I visited was not HYP either so it seems this really is a pervasive trend. Start working on your grammar and your ability to write formula essays people!</p>

<p>Another interesting AI tidbit: for the subject test component if the scores are weak, they will just use the regular SAT again and neglect the subject test scores. The subject tests are still required but they can basically only help you.</p>

<p>For the large part I expect strong students find the SAT2s helpful, not harmful...because they are more about what the student knows...so if you are doing well in your classes and have done so for years, the SAT2s should refelct that, right? Hope so. ;o)</p>

<p>I have read somewhere that Harvard is considering going to 4 SAT2s insetad of the SAT1...I wonder how that compares with the ACT plus writing?</p>

<p>fogfog, the hard part about the SAT subject test in biology for DS was that he took the class last spring and didn't take the test until October. And he was so busy with college trips and applications, that he didn't study for it as much as he should have. I can't even remember what he got on it at the moment, but he could have done better.</p>

<p>I can't remember, has anyone on here given you the advice that college essays should be written THIS SUMMER?? People told me that, but DS didn't really listen to me. By December, he admitted he wished he had! This fall was about the craziest period of time he's ever had, trying to balance school, athletics, and college stuff.</p>

<p>MaineLonghorn: I don't know if anyone on here has said the essays should be written in the summer, but I have heard that elsewhere several times, especially for athletes. I gather they should try to have their applications (for schools that are recruiting them through the summer) fully completed and ready by the start of September so they are good to go for official visits, etc. It adds a lot to the lazy days of summer, but at the same time, how great to have the majority of that work done by the beginning of senior fall?!</p>

<p>We have heard that essays and apps need to get going early as well...and time is a factor</p>

<p>Feb--almost over
March- season begins, we tour schools and school demands continue
April - season continues, States, ACTS,
May - STA2s, AP exams, finals for school
June - summer, nationals(?s)
July - nationals (?s)
Aug - school starts back</p>

<p>Have also heard that you need to check with the teachers who are writing on your behalf to make sure they can do it in the summer.</p>

<p>^^^ Right. A good exercise in organization!</p>

<p>Essays?? Don't worry about them. You can wipe your ass with your application if you have a 3.2 GPA and an 1800 SAT and are ALL STATE (For Ivy League) or (All Conference/All Area) for NESCAC. No one cares about what kind of person you are. If you can meet the minimum requirements academically AND can help the team win, you'll get in. </p>

<p>If you aren't good enough athletically, don't waste your time bragging about your AP's or IB's...the coach doesn't want you..you ain't getting in.</p>

<p>Chun King - I could not DISAGREE with you more. Did you take a stupid pill this AM? That is the worst piece of advice I've seen.</p>

<p>Everyone - Essays can be the difference between admission and deferral or admission and denial. This is a very, very competitive situation. Our recent Early Decision experience was the exact opposite of what is posted above . Many, many people wrote in on the CC Early Decison posting for my son's school discussing this exact topic. I also looked at other websites. It became incredidbly clear after reviewing these posts by applicants and advisers how IMPORTANT the essay is. In my son's case, we realized the essay was weighted very heavily for Ivy ED. The essay gives admissions insight into the students life outside the classroom they are not going to get with SATs, GPAs. Again, I would take this part of the application process very seriously.</p>

<p>You can PM me if you have specific questions.</p>

<p>Chun King apparently has a personal problem with someone with an 1800 and a 3.2 getting into a school! What he says is just not true as an across the board statement. It depends on the school, as well as the sport. And it takes more than All-conference or all-state at many of the schools, as coaches recognize that politics as well as differences in talent in different regions play a role. </p>

<p>With respect to essays, there is no doubt that the essays can not be taken lightly though the weight given to the essays in the athletic recruiting/admissions context will depend on the school. It would be a mistake though to do a half-assed job on them as there is a lot at stake!</p>

<p>One HYPS coach told us that this year they had a very strong athlete with a top GPA and superb ACT score, but who was rejected by admissions. They were really surprised and had no idea why. Admissions wouldn't tell them, but it had to have been either the essays or teacher recs. So don't underestimate the importance of essays, at least for the upper Ivies and Stanford/ And another Ivy coach admitted that they (the coaches and team) were not thrilled with everyone who came for official visits and thus were no longer pursuing certain kids. They had been pre-screened by admissions, so their academics stats were acceptable. But that's just not enough. Personality will play a role too because no coach at that level is going to knowingly bring on board a kid who will disturb the team dynamics.</p>

<p>^^Amen, GFG.</p>

<p>Ivy coaches were very direct in their advice to write solid essays. The coaches are holding their collective breath, along with the recruited athletes, when the application goes to admissions. "Blowing off" the essays is reason for rejection.</p>

<p>I also agree with the statement that the current team WILL have a say in recruit selection. The official and unofficial visits are a two way street. Informal contact like facebook, between current players and recruits (often offered starting in July), is another place where a recruit may be scrutinized. No one wants to add a player who creates drama or is not a good match with the team's ideas about studying, partying, and competitive commitment.</p>

<p>I think we all need to remember that at the end of the day Admissions makes the decision. Coaches can influence that decision, and the degree of influence is very hard to know a priori. At some schools for some sports it may be larger than for others. It may even vary from year to year. Point is, admissions decides who is in and especially at the super selective schools every factor of an applications has to get reviewed. Sure there are those outlier cases where a kid with low scores is at the right place at the right time and gets in, but you can;t take that and assume it is a rule. Its a dynamic process at each school. Our D got an early read (DIII lacrosse) that was "positive". She applied early (and made sure her essays and references were the best they could be) and got in - but nothing was for sure until she got the acceptance letter from admissions.</p>

<p>Ideally a student athlete should start working on the main essays over the summer. Ideally, our kids should do a lot of things they don't do, lol! I think the "why X school?" essays are harder to do that early in the process because often the student is still figuring out what he is looking for in a college. The official visits will give him a much better idea, so it could be that those school-specific essays are actually best written in the fall.</p>

<p>That's a good point, CFG. I would also recommend that students take notes at each visit if they're going to a lot of schools. Everything starts running together in your mind after 5 or 6 visits! Each tour guide will emphasize points the school is particularly proud of, and those are good things to include in the essay.</p>