All New Applicants- The Process and Timeline

<p>Reviving this thread for Class of 2018 Applicants. Good luck to all of you out there. Read and research as much as you can and it will help you in making sound decisions in terms of your choices.</p>

<p>Thank you so much anilways. :)</p>

<p>Thank you! This is great! </p>

<p>When should I be writing essays and applications? Towards November? </p>

<p>And would you need to write a separate essay for each university? </p>

<p>How long are essays and Letters of recommendation? </p>

<p>Thanks again :)</p>

<p>You should write first draft of the Commonapp essay in the summer between 11th-12th grade. </p>

<p>Once you shortlist the colleges you want to apply to, each college will have it's own requirements for SATs, essays, LORs...</p>

<p>The word limit for essays is also defined. The LORs, in my opinon, should be mo longer than one page. If I remember correctly, there is a standard format for this as well.</p>

<p>This is a great thread that you have started, but you have neglected perhaps the most important aspect for any International student- how to pay for college. Many schools will not give financial aid to International students. Each school has its own individual policy, and as an Indian parent who has lived in the USA nearly my entire life, the rise in costs has been staggering. If you look hard enough on CC, there are several International students who have been accepted to some stellar institutions and received little if any financial aid, with no means to finance an education. Other than that, I think that your posts are pretty spot on to help others who don't understand the process.</p>

<p>Awesome, thanks!</p>

<p>PsychDad10</p>

<p>Thank you for the kind words.</p>

<p>You are right about not enough information regarding FA. The reason for that is, since my D is full pay, I did not have the opportunity/need to do research on that. However if you see post no.35 by fall2016parent, it has some links. Also please know I am not a counsellor or a professional, just an ordinary parent tring to share whatever I know.</p>

<p>Other than that, here is a list of "10 Colleges That Give the Most International Student Financial Aid"</p>

<p>10</a> Colleges That Give the Most International Student Financial Aid - US News and World Report</p>

<p>And this on "3 Ways for International Students to Cut U.S. College Costs",
3</a> Ways for International Students to Cut U.S. College Costs - US News and World Report</p>

<p>And then, here is some infirmation on that subject,
Schools</a> Awarding International Financial Aid</p>

<p>"The Best Colleges and Universities-Schools Awarding Financial Aid</p>

<p>US Schools That Offer Need-Blind and Full-Need Admission to International Students - under a need-blind admissions policy, a college or university will admit students regardless of their ability to pay, and for any students that cannot afford the price tag, full-need means the university awards scholarships and other institutional aid to make up the difference. There are now six US schools that offer need-blind and full-need admissions to international students - Amherst College is the most recent to join this elite group. Basically, if you can get in, you can afford to go - they are:</p>

<p>MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Massachusetts
Harvard University in Massachusetts
Princeton University in New Jersey
Yale University in Connecticut
Dartmouth College in New Hampshire
Amherst College in Massachusetts""</p>

<p>Here is another thread on CC with the topic of discussion, "need-based aid for international student", specifically post no.5,</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/816764-need-based-aid-international-student.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/816764-need-based-aid-international-student.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Bump + Please Sticky!
The list I needed is covered here.</p>

<p>anishbasu</p>

<p>I think only the Moderator can Pin this thread. If you request texaspg to do it, then it will appear right on top everytime you click on the India forum here on CC. That will make it easy and quick reference for all future aspirants and applicants.</p>

<p>@anialways Made a PDF version of the Guide:
<a href="https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9_EkwwrYceEeFpLQ2FvT0RoZFE/edit?usp=sharing%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9_EkwwrYceEeFpLQ2FvT0RoZFE/edit?usp=sharing&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Just had a look at it. Awesome anishbasu.....</p>

<p>GOSH! This is so amazing. Unfortunately, I never saw it when I was applying cause it was lost in CC archives. Someone really needs to sticky this. This would've been such a great help.
Going through this huge process was like navigating into the eye of a tornado. Is there anything I can do to help this get stickied? A PM to the moderator, maybe? If you know who it is?</p>

<p>firefliesdance</p>

<p>texaspg is the Moderator. I think if you request them through a PM, that will work.</p>

<p>I see it's been stickied. :)</p>

<p>Yes I did send a PM request to texaspg and so we have this one stickied. Thank you texaspg.</p>

<p>wow, great thread anialways :) Nice to see you so active even now :)</p>

<p>Crystal31</p>

<p>I think you will be class of 2018 applicant, right?
So how are things. Done with your class 12 Finals.</p>

<p>anialways, yes I will be class of 2018 applicant :) Everything is alright , very hectic and tiring I must say. I have started with class 12 and my first Unit Test is on monday! :\
My 12th finals (Board exam) will be in March 2014 :)</p>

<p>How are you doing?</p>

<p>For all those who have this question to ask, Which schools require, recommend, or utilize SAT Subject Tests? Read and figure it out on your own depending on the colleges you are interested in applying to.</p>

<p>"2012-2013 SCHOOL YEAR:</p>

<p>SCHOOLS THAT REQUIRE, RECOMMEND OR UTILIZE SAT SUBJECT TESTS IN ADMISSION OR FOR PLACEMENT/CREDIT"</p>

<p><a href="https://docs.google.com/a/nyu.edu/do...RiRLrQ4vg/edit%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://docs.google.com/a/nyu.edu/do...RiRLrQ4vg/edit&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>