Am I on the Right Track?

<p>I am planning on majoring in chemistry in college, and after getting about halfway through a book on good colleges, I have made these 10 choices so far. Do any of them have bad chemistry programs?</p>

<p>Amherst
Caltech
Carleton
Boston University
Columbia
Dartmouth
Emory
Grinnell?
Harvey Mudd
Johns Hopkins</p>

<p>Grinnell has a great chemistry dept (S was a chem, and ultimately a biochem major there). (My definition of 'great' by the way, is highly rated faculty who like to teach and mentor, small class sizes, state-of-the-art facilities, and lots of funding for student research.)</p>

<p>Keep in mind that you may change majors so you might want to think about more than school's chem dept. You have some really different kinds of schools there: Harvey Mudd is a tech (and a LAC), Johns Hopkins is a mid-sized private research univ, as is Emory. Grinnell, Carleton and Amherst are LACs. You also have schools that are urban (Johns Hopkins again), rural (Grinnell and Carleton) and suburban (Harvey Mudd). I point this out because there is more difference between types of schools, and types of locations, than between schools within the same category.</p>

<p>It's okay if you don't know what kind of environment you want - but it's also pretty rare to see Grinnell on the same list as Johns Hopkins. S considered Carleton, Amherst and Harvey Mudd - but wouldn't have been interested in Emory, BU or Johns Hopkins because they were not what he was looking for culturally.</p>

<p>Make sure you have a safety on your list that you ARE WILLING to attend and CAN AFFORD. All the schools you listed are competitive to highly competitive and your SATs are low for all of them.</p>

<p>You could consider Case Western and Rose Hulman. Not exactly safeties, but safer.</p>