Anti EC parents?

<p>Do you guys have anti EC parents?</p>

<p>I kinda do. my folks think it's a waste of time. SO yeah. How about yours! I feel so terrible if I don't listen to them, but I'll feel sad that I can't make it into Ivy leagues,</p>

<p>Any way to persuade them ideas? >.<</p>

<p>If they're like Amy Chua when she said that she wouldn't let her kids participate in ECs like this: "I got a part in the school play! I'm Villager Number Six. I'll have to stay after school for rehearsal every day from 3:00 to 7:00, and I'll also need a ride on weekends!" I agree 100%. </p>

<p>If they're worthwhile ECs, like helping at bio lab at the local university, or becoming so good at something that you can't be ignored (i.e. becoming the top skateboarder in the region), the parents' position would be a little odd.</p>

<p>smorgasbord nailed it. If they're meaningful ECs then you're parents are a little misguided. For example, if you want to be a doctor and want a volunteer position at a hospital, you should be able to do so. However, if you just want to be some meaningless character in a play (with no intention of being an actor someday) as smorgasbord said, then your parents have a point.</p>

<p>Wel they wouldnt let me join NJHS a couple of years back since they thought it's a waste of time. Last year I wanted to join track and they thought it was stupid (not the althetic type.. But I wanted to try it). I also wanted to join Anytown last year and they thought it was the dumbest thing (since I'm basically hanging out with friends). And this year I want to join speech and debate(thought it was useless) AND photography club (they thought I'm not a "serious" photographer). </p>

<p>But I wanted to join these clubs not for the apps (not MAINLY) but I wanted to see or discover what I'm good at. They aren't willing to send me ANYWHERE. So it sucks completely</p>

<p>My parents aren't anti EC. But they definitely seem to underestimate its importance when it comes to college applications. They think that my playing the violin plus some community service hours is enough to get me to a top school if I get really good grades. It's quite annoying and I keep trying to convince them otherwise.</p>

<p>Nope my parents let me join whatever unless it's something far away that they'd have to drive me to.
Explain to them that you think your time would be better spent at an EC then at home studying or whatever it is you do at home. Also tell them why you want to do it.
If you only want to join things for college, you're missing the point of ECs.
EDIT: Scratch the last point I was on here before your last post :P</p>

<p>I don't join things just for college. Of course, they have to be something I enjoy. But I also know that chances of me getting into a place like Harvard is slight, and it is annoying that my parents expect me to get into every college that I apply to just based on my grades. Then they start bragging to all my relatives that I'm the top of my class or whatever, and then my aunts and uncles start asking me what I'll do if I get into both Princeton and Stanford, and I'm just sitting there like O.e.</p>

<p>^^sorry, I just realized how whiny that post was. haha</p>

<p>I would be really ****ed at my parents if they tried to stop me from being in a play if I really wanted to. Even if I had a small part. Honestly you guys focus too much on doing ECs just to impress colleges...even if an EC might not be "meaningful" to colleges, it could change your life.</p>

<p>I've noticed that you're making quite a few threads about your unwillingness to join EC's or inability to join EC's or whatever. I think your priorities are a little out of whack. You could have a million EC's and it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the long run. </p>

<p>You said somewhere that you were an underclassman, yes? The numbers are what get your foot in the door, then the EC's. If your parents are worried that you're spreading yourself too thin and would prefer you didn't do EC's so you can focus on your studies, they're in the right.</p>

<p>Find a handful of things you are passionate about from the start and get your feet wet. Take leadership positions when you can and gradually add things on as time opens up and you get more efficient. Find things you like and don't stress!</p>

<p>It's like, I see all these kids working/volunteering 30+ hours per week during the school year at their grade's expense. Why!?</p>

<p>tl;dr: You need to learn as much as you can as fast as you can to be a success in college and beyond. Poor EC's but great grades means top-ranked StateU. Lots of EC's and poor grades means you're SOL.</p>

<p>Well, ever since I got my license my parents couldn't care less about what ECs I join...</p>

<p>
[quote]
I would be really ****ed at my parents if they tried to stop me from being in a play if I really wanted to. Even if I had a small part. Honestly you guys focus too much on doing ECs just to impress colleges...even if an EC might not be "meaningful" to colleges, it could change your life.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Playing a tree in a school play could undoubtedly change your life. It would take away from time you could be using productively. Like sen12or said, if you don't want to be an actor, why spend so much time on something so meaningless (after three weeks of rehearsal, the it could turn out that the play doesn't need actors to play trees, so you're replaced by painted plywood). </p>

<p>People put too into the 'find your passion' mantra. It's difficult to find your 'passion'; a lot of adults wouldn't be able to tell you what they're 'passionate' about. People end up loving what they do be becoming good at one thing; it's something that grows with your skills. When people do something for themselves, college isn't on their mind.</p>

<p>make up a story. lie to them. say thing like "hey i gotta work on a project afterschool" or smthing. they seem too stubborn to convince.</p>

<p>^^That example is a bit flawed--People don't get cast as trees, and even if the director does cast someone, it's because they're absolutely needed. </p>

<p>Also, turning down a role because it's "too small" can, and often does, put a negative light on you in future casting.</p>

<p>What's wrong with playing a tree in a play? If you want to join an ec that you find interesting then do it. I play football but it's not like I am going to be in the NFL. There is just so much that I like about it that I play. I think being in a play no matter the role has benefits. Whoever says that tree is no point to being the tree is crazy. Without you there wouldn't be a tree.</p>

<p>^But are you going to go places with football when it comes to apps? Does it help you outside of that specific activity? In both questions, the answer is yes. Well, at least for the 1st one, if you won't if you're a 3rd stringer.</p>

<p>My parents are cool with EC's . However , my teachers aren't .
Iam internationl , and in here there are no lots of EC's , and all the teachers say EC's are a waste of time , you have to focus on studying . But I want to apply to a really good American college and EC's are pretty much important to me .
I hate it when a teacher tries to embarace me in front of all my class when he says : (( stop participating in activities, you are destroying yourself )) , though my average is very vey good (( 96% )) .
When i graduate and get into my college choice i'm gonna tell them : (( look what EC's has done to me , they got into a so much better college than the colleges down here , which BTW the best one is ranked 500ish in the world )) .</p>

<p>
[quote]
But are you going to go places with football when it comes to apps? Does it help you outside of that specific activity?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>If a Friday Night Lights-esque story happens, absolutely.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, turning down a role because it's "too small" can, and often does, put a negative light on you in future casting.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I see your point. This is probably if you want to pursue acting, though -- you have to pay your dues with any positions to get good at it. But if you have no interest in acting and are only in the play 'for the heck of it'/'my friends are doing it', there are far better ways to use your time. jmho</p>

<p>It's fine. My problem is solved. I'm in 2 EC's now. Hoping to join about 3 more</p>