Anybody have knowledge of living in Sweden? Daughter doing a year abroad.

Although my daughter is fluent in Swedish, having spent 5 summers there,she lived with radical Germans and has zero knowledge of Swedish culture. Anybody have ideas? I told her to look for some sort of International Club. Yes, this is the girl who graduated from Harvard last winter. My prison son is thriving in Calif. Thought about CC because my daughter is attending school. Not sure if there is an Ex pat community in southern Sweden away from Stockholm, which is 4 hours away. Love to all my old friends!

Dang - I wish you’d posted yesterday! I had my last Swedish class for the summer last night, and could have asked the instructor/classmates. At least a couple of the other students in my class will be moving to Sweden within the next month or two to take transfers to the Swedish branches of their current companies.

Maybe with a bump from my reply someone with experience will answer.

@fauxmaven, glad to hear things are going well overall. I no nothing about Sweden. Sorry.

She should start with her own alumni association. Those people are everywhere.

Glad to hear your son is doing ok! Is your D attending school in Sweden? I have a few acquaintances in Sweden and a good friend who recently semi-permanently settled in the US, but they all live/lived in Stockholm, and I’m not sure if they know anything about US expat communities, so I’m not certain that they can be of any help. But I will ask if they have any words of wisdom for your D!

That would be great. She is in the south, at a music program, studying voice for 10 months. I told her to ask her school for International students, who will be in the same boat.

Hoping that there will at least be someone who can impart words of wisdom about general Swedish culture!

What will she be doing while in Sweden?

She should watch Welcome to Sweden, a sit com written by a guy who has such culture shock (Amy Poehler’s brother.) I’ve only seen a couple of episodes but it does highlight some differences of the social interactions in amusing ways. It’s on Amazon instant video but pay per episode or season.

The “Culture Shock” series of books are generally very good. Check out the one for Sweden.

My impression (which is based on several visits and personal communications with folks in Stockholm) is that the people of Sweden are a pretty laid back, chill bunch. Most speak English fluently, so your D will not have a hard time communicating. However, the Swedes are somewhat reserved, so that might affect her social scene. That said, she is not moving there permanently! 10 months is a short time and will fly fast.

Take a look at this site, maybe there will be some useful info here:

http://www.swedishfreak.com/culture/

Most of my experience has been in Denmark(right across the water if it’s the music school I’m thinking of) but I can tell you that music students, especially in voice, tend to be a well travelled international bunch. Socially convivial and open to new friendships. She will have a lovely time.

My daughter lives in Denmark, which to my understanding has a similar culture. The people are quiet, keep to themselves, and don’t make eye contact. She had to learn when grocey shopping, she needed her own bag, and should bag her own items. (Huge embarrassment to her the first time when she didn’t understand the process.)

Everyone will speak fluent English if you need it.

Food is very expensive in Denmark. I don’t know if Sweden is the same. She’s learning how to enjoy pork since that’s the most economical meat. In my experience, their produce is excellent.

Will she be using their healthcare? Our daughter is eligible for Denmark’s free healthcare but quickly learned they don’t prescribe medication as readily as in the US.

Banking and credit cards require more security steps than in the US.

She is all set up with banking and heahthcare. My daughter is quiet and observing mostly. We told her to seek out International students as they are in the same boat. She is studying voice and music theory, just for fun. She wasn’t sure if she would get her visa, but all worked out. My daughter is an organic vegan, so pork is not an option! I will check out websites mentioned.

I called Harvard Alumni, but she has to go into the website to search.

I love the Shock series. Told her to order it from Germany, as it was a lot cheaper.

I was also going to suggest watching the sitcom Welcome to Sweden. Pretty funny, and pretty accurate as to differences in culture between Sweden and the US.

I know that Swedes don’t say excuse me when they bump into you. One of the annoyances I found last year is that there are no numbers to take when waiting in a small shop for service!

UPDATE: My former Harvard daughter is in the process of becoming a permanent resident of Sweden or the Netherlands. She has a lovely boyfriend who is Dutch( a Craftsman/ Boatbuilder ) and is thinking of getting married next year. Not doing anything with her expensive education, but she is happy. Son who did some prison time seems to be staying out of trouble and prison. I know some of you think of him from time to time.

I wish I had seen this sooner…my husband is Swedish and grew up there. Where in southern Sweden does she live ? My husband grew up in Karlskrona