I recently plugged my commonapp personal statement into winston ai detector and had a 5% human report, but when i plugged it into gptzero it came back as 99% human.
Will this be a problem…? ![]()
I recently plugged my commonapp personal statement into winston ai detector and had a 5% human report, but when i plugged it into gptzero it came back as 99% human.
Will this be a problem…? ![]()
Did you write it on your own with no assistance? If I did, I wouldn’t give it a second thought. If you got “assistance”, I would redo it.
A personal statement is that - not a research paper.
I had some assistance from my sister, that’s about it.
I doubt they’re using AI detectors, because these detectors are so unreliable, and because AI can be trained to use a human-like voice, anyway. Your personal statement should sound authentic and should include concrete detail that could only come from you and stem from your experiences. As long as you’re sure it meets those standards, you should be okay.
If I truly wrote an essay, I wouldn’t even run it through an AI detector. I’d have no reason.
My family is asking me to run it through ai because they claim that id get reported and rejected from every college if the ai % is high…
As @Shelby_Balik, if you have personal examples, they belong to you.
If you didn’t have any help other than spell check and grammar check, then you will have no issue. And if you did, then shame on the schools.
I get its 2026 - but if you truly wrote it, then why would you have any concern?
I think this is a little extreme and unnecessary. My kids’ HS hosts college app “boot camps” in which kids get all kinds of advice in putting together the common app, including critiques and advice on essay drafts (some of the readers are college AOs whom the school hires to help out with these events). The English teachers staff the writing center in the fall to offer help (with critiques, proofreading, etc.) for students who are getting ready to send off apps. None of this is nefarious. If it were, why would the AOs participate? And of course many parents or older sibs proofread and offer advice. It’s a normal part of the writing process to get edits and feedback, as long as the work is originally the writer’s and the writer takes ownership of the revisions. College essays are just that – essays, not closed-book exams. It’s not dishonest to seek out advice and edits as long as the work belongs to the student.
Now, I agree that the work must authentically represent the student – those who offer assistance cannot edit the student’s voice out. It’s a problem if the parent’s voice (for example) overshadows the student’s (or is present at all, really). But let’s not take things to extreme and suggest that the student should produce an essay with zero help, because that’s just not how writing works.
The student said they wrote it - with only assistance from his sister.
We hired a teacher (not ours) to review (who offered near zero guidance, but that’s another issue).
I agree with all you say.
But my comment was based on what the OP stated in regards to outside involvement on their essay.
I wonder if people realize that every time they copy-paste their essays into AI detectors, they are essentially feeding the language models and compromising their own privacy. If you wrote your own essay (with minor input/edits from other humans), why in the world would you run an AI check?
Interesting artivle updated Sept 1, 2026:
“ What this means in practice
If you are applying to college through the Common App, you are bound by the Common App’s fraud rule regardless of what any individual school’s policy says. The platform-level rule is the floor. Individual schools can raise it (Brown, Harvard, Georgetown, BYU, Michigan, SMU all do) but they cannot lower it for you. A school telling you that line-level AI editing is fine — Georgia Tech, Babson, Fordham, the UC system — does not override the Common App’s prohibition on submitting AI-generated substantive content as your own.
In practice, the binding rule for almost every Common App applicant in 2026 is:
The school-level policy layers on top: it may add a disclosure requirement (D1, D2), a formal AI attestation (D3), or an outright ban (L4). It may also signal enforcement — soft review (E1), AI screening (E2), or a verification interview (E3). Those add to the floor; they do not subtract from it.
If a school-level policy seems looser than the Common App rule, it is either describing a narrower carve-out within the platform’s “non-substantive” zone, or silently in tension with the platform rule. Either way, the Common App rule still governs because you signed it.
The practical implication: read both documents, and follow the stricter standard. If you are unsure whether a particular use of AI crosses the “substantive” line, assume it does. The platform’s enforcement mechanism — a fraud finding broadcast to every school on your list — is asymmetric. The downside is catastrophic. The upside is marginal.”