Best Chinese Schools?

<p>What are some good schools in China where the language spoken is Standard Mandarin, I'm considering majoring in teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, Diplomacy, Translation or maybe Political Sciences. Any help would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Hmm, for 'standard Mandarin' you may consider Northern cities in China like Beijing. In fact, most university students in China speak an okay Mandarin. :)</p>

<p>Beijing Uni in Beijing
Fudan Uni in Shanghai
Qing Hua Uni in I don't know where</p>

<p>So even though they speak Wu Chinese in Shanghai they teach in Mandarin? I know that you can communicate through writing, but the spoken language is different.</p>

<p>Mandarin is the official language taught throughout the nation. I can say for the most who has past 6th grade can speak intelligible Mandarin.</p>

<p>Shanghai does belong to the Wu-speaking area, but it's only a dialect that's spoken colloquially. In a traditional academic environment, Mandarin would definitely be spoken or else it would appear very informal (imagine your Harvard professor speaking like Snoop Dogg or Lil' Jon). </p>

<p>On the other hand your classmate, who's from the area might communicate with each other in their dialect. But remember in China, the application into such schools is VERY competitive, I'd say about 5% of the top CC'er can be accepted (no EC or anything needed, just one test score, although some flexiblities these years)</p>

<p>If you worry much about the dialect they speak, then you are definitely being paranoid. Most people, if they had lived in an area for more than a year or so, would pick up the dialect of that region. Assuming that you are not a person who had lived in China, you definitely have that disadvantage, not mentioning your lowered ability in Mandarin also.</p>

<p>The only thing you should worry about is getting into a Cantonese speaking area, such as Hong Kong, Maucau, Taiwan (this is very generalized because they speak two or more different versions of Cantonese). In that case no, the academia would even communicate in Cantonese, which is indeed, different. Also they use the traditional characters</p>

<p>Yes they speak Wu dialect in Shanghai, but only to your friends. Everyone knows how to speak Mandarin. They teach in Mandarin.</p>

<p>Qinghua Uni is in Beijing also.</p>

<p>well it's thought that the "standard Chinese" is that spoken by the Northeners. so u might consider going to the north.</p>

<p>Tsinghua does has an experimental department of social sciences. But it's far behind Peking Univ., CUHK, Renming Univ. and Fudan Unv.</p>

<p>qinghua university
beijing uninversity
zhejiang uninversity
fudan uninversity
they are all good uninversity</p>

<p>The admission process of foreign students is totally different from that of native Chinese students. You don't even need to speak Chinese prior to you arrival for some schools.</p>

<p>I'd say that Beijing Foreign Studies University and Renmin University (both are in Beijing) would also be very good choices for you.</p>

<p>If you pay attention to Standard Mandarin, Beijing would be a better choice.
Peking University, Tsinghua Univ., Renmin Univ. and Beijing Foreign Language Univ. are suited to Foreign students.</p>

<p>I am not sure if it is true that Beijing people speaks better "Standard Mandarin". To those that can speak perfect "Pu Tong Hua", too many Beijing people have "Bejing accent", that is not the right "Pu Tong Hua". Those news anchors on CCTV speaks perfect "Pu Tong Hua".</p>

<p>It seems that you want to get a degree from a Chinese university? Generally speaking, most of foreign students in China are just learning the language(Mandarin) rather than earning a degree. They belong to their own universities in their countries and they come here for a year or two then they can transfer the credits earned here. There are lots of students like this in my university -- Beijing Foreign Studies Univ. My major is Teaching Chinese as second language. If you wanna know more details, feel free to contact me. MSN: <a href="mailto:moonscaca@hotmail.com">moonscaca@hotmail.com</a>.</p>

<p>According to your majors, you'd be a lot better off at Peking/Beijing University or Renmin University rather than at QingHua. QingHua is best in engineering and the sciences in general. Their social sciences and language departments just aren't that great.</p>

<p>According to what I know and the websites of some of the universities listed, there are some requirements if you are applying as a first year:</p>

<p>1) At most of these universities, you must be 18 before beginning your first year (does not apply to TsingHua)
2) You DO have to take an entrance exam. It will be easier than the local student exam, but it will be harder than the Hong Kong/Macau student exam. From my understanding, it will be in Chinese.
3) Some of these universities require interviews. Peking U., for example, does. </p>

<p>Excuse me if some of these are wrong, but a student at my school applied to most of these schools, and she said this is what she had to go through.</p>