Big News From Harry and Meghan - Royal Family Stepping Back

The Queen is 95 years old and still getting out there just today with her family and also meeting with heads of state, despite her recent loss. I am amazed at how well she seems to be doing and how well she is keeping on with what she probably feels are her duties. She is a true matriarch of the family. Yes, she is the Queen, but seems well loved and supported by her family. Who could ask for more?

7 Likes

Anyone catch Thomas Markle’s interview on 60 Minutes Australia last night? His insights:

For one, I think Oprah Winfrey is playing Harry and Meghan. I think she’s using them to build her network and build her new shows and I think she’s taking advantage of a very weakened man and getting him to say things that you just shouldn’t be saying on television.

Pot, meet kettle.

5 Likes

I don’t think Oprah needs any help building her network, but I do think they are all happy to be friends and use each other for publicity.

3 Likes

Who’s watching? Not me.

2 Likes

Nope! And as shallow as it sounds, the actors portraying H&M, are a tad unattractive. Visually, Meghan is quite beautiful (and I can’t stand her!).

2 Likes

What do you think of the Diana statue unveiled today?

I’ll reserve full judgment until I get the chance to see the Diana statue in person (if I ever do). From the photographs, the proportions seem off. Diana was a tall woman, and the other figures are children, but, still, she looks like a giant! The children’s faces are beautifully realized, Diana’s less so, but, again, that might be due to the photographs.

My initial impression was that I don’t think the likeness of Diana is very flattering.

My girlfriend and I both agree that the likeness of Diana a very good one. We were living in London at the time of her death.

I don’t like the face, I don’t think it’s flattering or looks like her at all. I do think the hair is good, and the body is hers. I guess I’m sort of disappointed. I understand the kids, but don’t like their statues much. I give it a 4/10. I read an article that said he’s actually a good sculpted but this work was subpar for him.

1 Like

I don’t like it either. The children seem out of proportion to Diana. The sculptor is no Bernini that’s for sure.

2 Likes

My immediate reaction was that it looked more like Theresa May than Diana. :grin:

4 Likes

The children are totally out of proportion. Their faces make them look like teens (at least the two of the three that are visible in most pix), and yet they are the size of kindergarteners.

1 Like

Honestly, I think they should ask for their money back!

Some of the reviews are brutal.

3 Likes

I like it. I think it captures the essence of the woman. The kids are right-sized for 6-9 year olds, at about 4 ft tall. Not only was Diana very tall, she is shown wearing heels, as she often did, bringing her to maybe 6ft1 or 2. It shows her compassion for children.

I wish the faces of these children looked like they were that old! They look teenagish to me.

I read that the little girl, barefoot and in a light flowy dress with her eyes closed and her cheek against Diana’s arm, is a throwback to traditional mortuary statues and angels thereupon. In contrast, the young boys stare into the future with eyes open and are dressed to represent children of any background or class. The outfit is taken from a picture of her in that outfit used for a Christmas card

I read that also about her outfit and saw a pic of the card. The outfit was lovely but didn’t translate well in whatever stone or material he used.

I’m not fond of the statue either. I always thought of Princess Diana as a beautiful woman and a fashion icon. I don’t think the artist captured that. And, when I think of who she was, I think of her as a mother, and I think of her work with AIDS, land mines, and leprosy, not her work with children.

But, I have to believe Harry and William signed off on the design, so it is in some way a meaningful reflection of her in their eyes. If the unveiling ceremony got them talking, the statue served its purpose. The best way they could honor their mother’s memory is to get along with each other.

3 Likes

I wonder if William and Harry wanted to depict their mother as a strong, independent woman. I don’t think her smile and charisma came through in this art piece.