Can an Architecture Engineer do the work of a Civil/Structural Engineer?

<p>Hi, I was checking online on the difference between civil Engineering and architecture engineering and I actually got stuck. </p>

<p>The only question that if answered would give me a relief is, can an architecture engineer do the job of a civil engineer? I don't mean replace him, but is the architecture major enough to be hired and accepted as a civil engineer or should you study beyond the bachelor? Also, what kind of studies should an architecture student take if he want, say after 10 years of graduating, to be suitable for jobs of civil, structural, and architectural engineer?</p>

<p>I need detailed answers please. I need people with real cases, real stories, and people who have been in this field and are sure about what they say.</p>

<p>Thanks anyway and will be waiting for your replies.</p>

<p>A small addition: Can the opposite happen? Can the civil Engineer work as an architect or take courses to become an architect?</p>

<p>Thanks again</p>

<p>Not really civil engineering, but perhaps structural engineering if you take courses in that field during undergrad.</p>

<p>Civil engineering graduates can definitely go on to become architects. It's fairly common for architects to get their master's as their professional degree, rather than bachelor's. For civil or architectural engineering graduates, expect to spend 2 years on the master's. For unrelated fields, it'll take 3 to 3.5 years.</p>

<p>It's pretty difficult for architecture graduates to get into engineering. They'd probably have to go back to school and get an engineering degree.</p>

<p>Thomas, it's "architectural engineering." That was my major in college. I picked it because I wanted to design buildings, not roads, wastewater treatment systems, etc. For my electives, I took design classes in wood, steel, concrete, and precast/prestressed concrete. I took finite element elements and other computer analysis classes. I got my master's degree in engineering, and took structural design/analysis classes. After a couple of years, I took the Professional Engineering exam, so I'm a P.E. I am a structural engineer.</p>

<p>"Architecture" is entirely different from "architectural engineering." You need to decide which one you're interested in.</p>

<p>It IS possible, at least at UT-Austin, to get a dual degree in architecture/architectural engineering. It's very difficult to complete, and I don't recommend it.</p>

<p>I also checked - at UT, and most other schools, you really need a BS in civil engineering in order to go to grad school in CE. At UT, Architectural Engineering is part of Civil Engineering.</p>

<p>If you have other questions, let me know. My dad is still an ArchE professor, so I can ask him things I'm not sure of.</p>

<p>Thanks ken and thanks mainelonghorn.</p>

<p>mainelonghorn, yes, I have some questions for you to ask your father, and it's great he's an architectural Engineer he can help me find an answer.</p>

<p>Well, I'm into studying "architectural engineering" not architecture. </p>

<p>My exact questions are:</p>

<p>1-What job titles that an ArchE apply for?</p>

<p>2-Is there any way that he can do the job of the civil or the structural engineer? Please state all alternatives.</p>

<p>3- I'm thinking of both civil Engineering and Architecture engineering, which should I go on and study if I wish to work and be capable of applying to all kinds of jobs available for architecture, civil, and stuctural engineer?</p>

<p>Please tell me in more details and state all the alternatives.</p>

<p>Thank you again for your help</p>

<li><p>It depends what your concentration is. If you concentrate on structural design as an ArchE student, you can become a structural engineer. If you focus on construction management, you would oversee construction. "Civil engineering" is a broader field that includes structural design, road design, site design, etc. An ArchE major would probably not be designing roads or preparing site designs. But when I took the PE exam, it was a "Civil Engineering" test, so I had to study that stuff in order to pass the test!</p></li>
<li><p>As I said in number 1, an ArchE can definitely be a structural engineer, which is under the umbrella of civil engineering.</p></li>
<li><p>What do you want to work on? Roads, sites, or structures? If you want to work ONLY on buildings, major in ArchE and focus on structural design classes. If you want to work on other types of structures (bridges or dams, for example), major in Civil Engineering and focus on structural design. If you want to possibly work on structures, roads, sites, etc. major in civil engineering and take as many different electives as possible.</p></li>

<p>Ok, I understand this part.</p>

<p>The second part is, can an architecture engineer take a Masters Degree in civil engineering, or the opposite? This is really important, because I'm already planning on joining a graduate study while working, so the answer of that question is important.</p>

<p>Second and this is also very important. I'm living in Egypt, and I'm hopefully joining Cairo University, and I'm not sure if it's ABET accredited, maybe not. If not, how would things go when I get to work? I know there's internship years, then the PE test (which says it's only for ABET accredited programs or equivalent) What is the equivalent? and is this just for students who graduated from the US?</p>

<p>And my last question is: what are the procedures one should follow to be able to work anywhere, in this case, I'm talking about the US (and I'm asking about both as a civil engineer and an architecture engineer)?</p>

<p>An architectural engineering student can get a degree in civil engineering. Actually, at UT-Austin, the diploma just says, "Master of Science in Engineering," so there is no difference. I'm not sure about other schools. I don't know of any grad programs that are SPECIFICALLY "Arch E," but they may be out there. If you have taken appropriate undergrad classes as "CE," you would be eligible for "ArchE" grad programs.</p>

<p>You still don't seem to grasp the concept that an architectural engineering student IS a civil engineer. Just like a square is a rectangle! ArchE is a SUBSET of CE. A geotechnical engineer is also a civil engineer. Of course, if I had concentrated on structural classes in college, I probably would NOT apply for a job doing site designs.</p>

<p>Yes, Architectural Engineering programs are ABET-accredited. I know for certain that UT's is - my dad has to deal with the visiting inspection committee (or whatever it's called) every few years.</p>

<p>You should find out if Cairo U. is ABET-accredited. I don't know how that works internationally, though. You'll have to do some research on that.</p>

<p>I'm not sure what an international student/candidate would have to do to get a job in the US. As an American citizen, you would need to work hard, get decent grades, probably get an internship, then apply to lots of places. Even 25 years ago, I had to send out almost 300 resumes to get work.</p>

<p>I wouldn't say Arch E is a subset of CivE, but they certainly do overlap. They have structural engineering and construction management in common. CivE has transportation, geotechnical, environmental engineering in addition. ArchE has building systems (like HVAC, lighting, etc).</p>

<p>I see what you mean, Ken. I guess I was coming at it from the "structural" angle, since that's what the OP mentioned specifically. When I was at UT, ArchE was under the CivE umbrella. Now they've changed the name from "Department of Civil Engineering," to "Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering." So they are even breaking out environmental engineering from CE, I guess.</p>

<p>Thanks Mainelonghorn for your help and clarification and thanks ken for sharing your idea.</p>

<p>So Mainelonghorn, I get from what you say that if I graduate for an architecture school, I can have a masters degree in civil, and the opposite works, too for a civil undergrad that prepares for grad studies.</p>

<p>I guess I would go for civil Engineering, and maybe when I graduate I could do my graduate study in architecture or a branch of it (like designing). But what's really annoying in architecture is the great amount you have to spend from the time you graduate to be able to get a good job. I think 5 years studying and 3-4 years internship is too much. </p>

<p>Is that a must if one wants to get a good job as an architecture engineer?</p>

<p>And what pays higher, architecture engineering or civil engineering?</p>

<p>And which works better, finds jobs more frequently?</p>

<p>And if I choose to become a civil engineer, will I have to do interns or will I start work just right after I take my PE?</p>

<p>I'm still not decided, I need to know which is the better choice for me. I'm good at math and physics and I'm not so good at drawing but geometrical drawing could be learned. I also design on photoshop and 3dsmax.</p>

<p>Please help me decide, I still have time, but I need to make up my mind very soon.</p>


Mainelonghorn, I get from what you say that if I graduate for an architecture school, I can have a masters degree in civil, and the opposite works, too for a civil undergrad that prepares for grad studies.


<p>I hope you understand this: It's NOT "architecture school," but "architectural engineering." It's important to get the right term, because they are VERY different!</p>

<p>You can get internships during school vacations - that's what I did. You look for a JOB when you graduate. An internship is important in this job market, I think.</p>

<p>Most ArchE programs are four years - a few may be five.</p>

<p>Structural engineering probably pays more than some other civil engineering disciplines. It really depends, though - salaries vary a lot. If you were an ArchE and went into construction management, I'm not sure about the salary (maybe Ken can give you an idea). </p>

<p>You start working when you get out of school. Towards the end of college, most students take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam. If you pass it, you become an Engineer in Training (EIT). Here is a Wikipedia article on it: Fundamentals</a> of Engineering exam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia After you get a few years experience, you can take the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam. Principles</a> and Practice of Engineering Exam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>I should mention that the testing for structural engineers is now more rigorous than that for civil engineers. You need to pass the Structural I and Structural II exams in order to practice in some states. You would have to research each state to see what its requirements are. That's about all I know on this subject - I became a PE when all you had to do was pass the civil PE exam.</p>

<p>You don't need to be able to draw well to be an architectural engineer, but you should be able to visualize well in three dimensions. I, unfortunately, DON'T - my mind sees everything in 2D. I've had to train myself to think in 3D - it's a lot of work for me.</p>

<p>It's great that you like math and physics - you should do well in engineering.</p>

You can get internships during school vacations - that's what I did. You look for a JOB when you graduate. An internship is important in this job market, I think.


<p>If he is indeed thinking about architecture, then he may be thinking about the 3 to 4 year "internship" between graduation and becoming a registered architect. It's similar to the period for engineers between graduation and becoming a PE. Some areas call them EIT's (engineers in training), but I've also heard them referred to as EI's (engineering interns). A bachelor's in architecture degree IS five years.</p>

<p>I guess I made up my mind. I will hopefully study architecture and then I can take my internships within summer and the rest of the four years after university (is that right, or did I get it wrong) and then also after university I take the Fundamental of Engineering EIT and after I finish the interns I take my PE. </p>

<p>But here comes the question, I'm studying in Egypt, where should I take my internships, should it be nationally where I am or should it be taken in the US?</p>

<p>Another thing is, Do you mainelonghorn mean here</p>

<p>Quote: Structural engineering probably pays more than some other civil engineering disciplines. It really depends, though - salaries vary a lot.</p>

<p>You mean that I study civil engineering as a masters degree, right?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help, I know I'm asking too many questions. :)</p>

<p>thomas, please answer this question: Are you going to study ARCHITECTURE or ARCHITECTURAL ENGINEERING?</p>

<p>If you study ARCHITECTURE as an undergrad, you can't become a PE.</p>

<p>I'm going to study architectural Engineering. Here is the program I'm taking ??????? ?????????</p>

<p>Isn't this an architectural engineering program. Don't worry I know what I'm applying for.</p>

<p>OK, good! I should warn you that architects and engineers have a love/hate relationship. You don't want to get "architect" and "architectural engineer" mixed up!</p>

<p>Get internships wherever you can. If you want to work in the US eventually, it might be helpful for you to get them there.</p>

<p>I'm saying that structural engineers, whether they graduated as architectural engineers or civil engineers, typically make more money than other types of civil engineers (highways, wastewater treatment, etc.). If you get a master's degree, you'll make more money than if you get just a bachelor's degree.</p>

Isn't this an architectural engineering program.


<p>Although the program is within the Department of Engineering and the degree is called bachelor of Engineering in Architecture, it looks like a pure Architecture Degree not an Engineering Degree. The specializatioons are listed as: Architectural Studies, Building Science and Technology, Environmental Design and Planning, Urban Design and Housing, and Urban Planning - typical architecture specializations. </p>

<p>This is further confirmed by the fact the Structural engineering Department is entirely separate within Civil Engineering and lists as specializations Structural Analysis and Mechanics , Properties and Strength of Materials, Steel Bridges and Structures, Reinforced Concrete Structures. Construction Engineering and Management.</p>

<p>Bsed on the above it seems to me the degree would be a pretty standard Architecture Degree in the US and would not qualify as an engineering degree despite its title. You really need to ask specific questions to the department and review the detailed curriculum to get a fuller answer.</p>

<p>Good eye, cellardweller. </p>

<p>I asked my father about the program, and he said he had never heard of it. He didn't recognize any of the faculty names. My dad travels all over the world, speaking at engineering conferences, so if he doesn't recognize the faculty, that's not a good sign.</p>

<p>Thomas, it sounds like you should study in the structural engineering department if you want to become an engineer.</p>

<p>How come Cairo University, the second best university in Africa, is not recognized? Everybody knows it.</p>

<p>I checked it and it said the architectural engineer studies (Building Science and Technology).
Isn't the structure of building a part of this branch or department?</p>

<p>Still I have to tell you that I'm seeing all alternatives and thinking of all the perspectives of things.</p>

<p>But I also need to know what is the average salary of architectural engineer and the civil engineer? Which one involves more stress levels? and which involves moving around more?</p>