can we apply a green card during the college?

<p>cacan we apply a green card during the college 4 years? or we have to wait till after we graduate</p>

<p>depends...i am not sure what type of visa ur on...if ur on a non-immigrant visa, u definitely cannot cuz the reason u got ur visa was because u declared ur intent not to permanently settle in the United States..</p>

<p>You also have to be 21.</p>

<p>21? then I am still in college, so does that mean I can apply that when I am over 21 while I am in college? or I need some extra stuff?</p>

<p>You won't get a green card. Student visas make clear you must leave after you graduate. Half the world wants to live in the US, if it was as easy as just going to school here everyone would do it.</p>

<p>can you come back to US with a working visa after you graduate?</p>

<p>yeah you can come back on a work visa after graduation and u can apply for a green card after u graduate. But u must return to ur home country and apply from there and not have non-immigrant visa.</p>

<p>what if you get a job offer that you can do after you get out of college before your graduation? then you have to tell your boss that I need a bit of time to change my visa before I can work for you?</p>

<p>Yes man. how do I get to live in the US?</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure you're allowed to apply for the green card lottery if you're over 18 and/or have a high school diploma. That's what I've planned for, anyway. (I have an A-1 visa that I may convert to a G-4 at some point, depending on which is more advantageous.)</p>

<p>18? but some says 21</p>

<p>I researched this last year in a last-ditch effort to gain residency (for college admissions purposes, mostly :rolleyes: ), and I'm pretty sure it's 18.</p>

<p>so if you have a F1 visa and are older than 18, then you can apply a green card?</p>

<p>It is a lottery and only a few get in. Your real hope is for an employer to sponsor you. It's hard as they must prove they can't find an American to do the job. You must have a rare degree and skill set. It also costs them a lot of money. In my class at Harvard, I only know of one international who had an employer sponsor him and he was very connected (son of African political honcho). It's more likely after a grad degree but still not something to count on.</p>

<p>Right, participating in the green card lottery definitely isn't the same thing as applying for a green card... more like "applying for a one in a million [I don't know the actual figure] chance to maybe get a green card". I've heard that supposedly a G-4 (or whatever the abbreviation is) can be converted into a green card if you have one for a certain number of years before the age of 25, which would certainly be convenient... I'll need to investigate that further, though.</p>

Right, participating in the green card lottery definitely isn't the same thing as applying for a green card... more like "applying for a one in a million [I don't know the actual figure] chance to maybe get a green card".


But don't forget that it all depends on the country you're from. If you are from India, Pakistan, Russia, Germany, or the UK, it is even impossible to win a grean card. If you're from a small country, which does not have that much immigrants, then your chances are generally far higher.

18? but some says 21


Well, there is no age requirement. The only requirement is to have a high school degree, or some vocational education (although I am not sure about vocational ed.). As in most countries it is impossible to graduate from high school while under 18, therefore actually only the ones over 18 are allowed to participate in the lottery.</p>

<p>rytis, you're right, I forgot about the country restrictions. They don't apply to me because I'm Swedish, and I forgot to check the OP's nationality.</p>

<p>how about canada? i am canadian</p>

<p>^ follow this link. It will answer all your questions'</p>

<p><a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Hm, <a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>


<p>Yes, provided they are otherwise eligible to adjust status under the terms of Section 245 of the INA, selected applicants who are physically present in the United States may apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for adjustment of status to permanent resident. Applicants must ensure that USCIS can complete action on their cases, including processing of any overseas derivatives, before September 30, 2007, since on that date registrations for the DV-2007 program expire. No visa numbers for the DV-2007 program will be available after midnight on September 30, 2007 under any circumstances.


<p>It seems that it is actually possible for an F-1 visa holder to participate in the lottery and get a green card in case the holder wins.</p>