Chance a Gap Year Applicant for T20 [PR resident, 3.91 GPA, top 7% rank, low income, data science or computer science]

**Hello everyone, this is my first time on CC since I am taking a gap year, and applying to colleges for fall of 2027 instead. The reasons I am not going to college this year are pretty personal, so I will not be sharing it, but please tell me what my chances are!

Demographics: Puerto Rico, STEM Specialized Public School, US, Male
Intended Major: Data Science/Computer Science
UW GPA: 3.91 (I took 11-12 classes every year of high school, for a total of 34 credits)
Class Rank: 3/48
Test Scores: I could not afford to take the ACT, and the SAT Due To Travel Limitations
Hooks: First Generation, Low-Income, Geographic Area (Very Rural), URM

Awards:

  • Science Fair National Champion, 1st Category (Math and Applied Technology), 1st Overall (Out of 115 Projects Selected) 12th
  • ISEF Finalist 2026 for Machine Learning Research Project 12th
  • 2nd Place in Final Stage of a National Aerospace Development Hack-a-Thon 11th
  • Second Round Qualifier for National Math Olympiad (filler award) 11th
  • Attended Columbia STARS Fly-In 12th

Extracurriculars:

  • Machine Learning Research and Developed a Novel Computational Framework using Machine Learning and Machine-to-Machine automation to solve a global problem. All Previously Mentioned Awards are a Product of this Work. 12th

  • Created a Community Organization in Puerto Rico Dedicated to Helping STEM-Passionate Students from Title I/Underprivileged Communities Find Coursework, Mentorship from Professionals, Scholarships, And College Application Creation. Served 215+, Supported by Mayor and 2 College Advisors. 9-12th

  • President and Founder of the Mathematics Club and Founded an After-School Free Tutoring Service in Topics Ranging from Algebra 2/Stats to Calculus 2/Physics. 65+ Served This Year. 10-12th

  • Created a School Research Club Designed to Prepare and Mentor 35+ students for Hack-A-Thons (similar to NASA Hunch), and Science Fairs such as ISEF and other competitions Relevant to their Fields of Study. 4 Students (Including Me) Qualified to ISEF, and 15 Were Selected from said Club to Represent our School in the Aforementioned National Hack-A-Thon. 10-12th

  • Secretary of the Puerto Rican Institute of Robotics Chapter at School and was the Lead Programming Engineer Responsible for Programming the Autonomous Movement of our VEX Robots (For Competitions), and Increased Performance of the Robots by 25% via Mechanical Optimization, and Resource Limiting. Participated 8 Times at Our National Conferences. 9-12th

  • Major Family Responsibilities Which Consisted of Managing Home Budget, Taking Care of my Grandmother (Only Parent) to Medical Appointments, Groceries, Etc. 9-12th

Essays: Writing About How I Would Go to School to Teach my Grandmother Everything (Beginning at Writing, History, Basic Math) and It Being the Reason I Began Loving Helping Others.

LORs:
Principal (Also Guidance Counselor) (Helped Her Rebuild Our School Organizations, Mentored Me + Personal Relationship)
My Physics Teacher (Taught Me Stocks and Physics During our Fortnite Matches, and Inspired my Machine Learning Project + Personal Relationship)
My Science Teacher (2am Calls Reassuring Me that Hard Work Pays Off, Working on Scientific Writing, Personal Relationship etc.)
For Schools that Allow: Mayor and Mentor (Engineer)

Cost Constraints: I have 0 Money

I Just Want an Education, Please Tell Me If I Have A Chance at T20s Or If I’m Being Delusional.

**

I think you have a competitive profile but be aware that many of the top schools have gone back to test required. You will also want to run the Net Price Calculators to make sure the schools are affordable for your family.

8 Likes

Being from Puerto Rico will help. There is really no top 20. There are magazines and websites that rank schools, majors and more. Some, like US News, in their major ranking, use no data.

What you need is a college you can afford.

You might look into questbridge.org. I don’t know if a gap year qualifies. You should also look at meet needs schools because many schools are pricey and don’t give need to out of state students.

So affordability is one challenge - not top 20.

The other is that many schools require an SAT/ACT and if you couldn’t afford to take it, how will you travel to the mainland for schools ? Yea many still are test optional but many are not. And for those that are - the test might still matter even if not required.

Work with your school to see how you can get a waiver and possible transport assistance to San Juan, Ponce, Mayagyez or wherever it will be offered that is closer to you.

You do have a strong profile. I wish you well.

This list is 3rd party and a few years old but gives you an idea of who meet need. You can validate independently.

1 Like

First - you’ve done really well in high school, and congratulations!

Second, if you “just want an education”, you don’t need to attend a “T20”. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of amazing universities and colleges in the USA where you can get a superb education.

Your parents cannot pay for your college education, so your PRIMARY criterion should not be “prestige”, but “will the college provide a full ride”. You have an excellent profile, but you will need to attend either a full need met college, or a college which will give you a full ride based on merit.

First thing, check if you are eligible for Questbridge, since I don’t know what their rules are for students who take a gap year. Also look at other full-ride scholars like Stamps, etc.

After that, look through colleges that are full need met. While need-blind colleges are often the best choice, your profile is excellent, so need aware colleges may also be interested. At the same time, look at colleges which will provide large merit funding for high achieving applicants.

To be brutally honest, if you want to have a college education, you do not have the luxury of choosing colleges primarily by prestige. Because you have done so well in high school, you do have many more opportunities than a students with lower grades and fewer accomplishments.

Bottom line, you don’t need people here to “chance” you, you need recommendations for a college list that will ensure that you will e able to attend a college that will provide you with the education that you need to have the career that want (or will want in a few years).

You are “lucky” (not really luck, because it is the result of your own hard work), that you have a profile that many full need met colleges will like. The flip side is that this means that you have many choices, and you need some help in culling your choices.

Good luck!

6 Likes

Here is info on QB after a gap year - the short answer is YES!!

I already graduated high school. Am I eligible for the National College Match?

QuestBridge

  • 10 months ago

  • Updated

If you plan to attend college for the first time, you are welcome to apply for the National College Match. Please note that the National College Match is only for students who have yet to attend college and will be first-time students for the academic year they’re applying for. Students who will be applying as transfer students or who are otherwise currently enrolled in college, including two-year colleges or community colleges, are not eligible to apply.

5 Likes

Then, even if awarded a full COA (tuition,fees, room & board) financial need based award, how will you afford travel to & from a college on the mainland USA ? Also, proof of health insurance coverage is required by colleges & universities. Incidental living costs for personal items ?

You should prioritize taking the SAT or ACT in order to help the highest ranked colleges & universities determine whether or not you will be able to handle the work demands of an elite 4 year school.

Also, I wonder about your school profile regarding whether it will show a strong curriculum,etc.

Difficult to assess without a standardized test scores (ACT or SAT) or without multiple AP scores.

What I meant in the post was that I was planning on applying through QuestBridge this year, since I confirmed I am eligible for it. The prompt should rather be Match Me for QB NCM as a Gap Year applicant.

I am going to apply through QuestBridge when the portal opens. That way if I become a finalist I’ll have the certainty that if I do match, I will not have to strain my family with any kind of college costs down the road.

1 Like

Research whether or not the personal reasons will affect your eligibility or likelihood of getting an offer of admission from a residential college or university.

An example of such a reason might be travel restrictions due to probation/supervised release for a crime of violence.

1 Like

It was not due to anything like suspensions or prison. I’m a straight arrow, it was something non-academic.

1 Like

That is good to know; thank you for sharing.

If you wish to apply test optional, then it might be helpful to examine the list of Questbridge schools in search of those which accept applications without requiring the submission/inclusion of any standardized test scores.

P.S. Do not take any college courses for credit prior to enrolling as a full-time student at a 4 year college or university as that may jeopardize your eligibility for merit scholarships and for financial aid with freshman standing.

Congratulations on your achievements.

You should apply to Questbridge. But don’t rush the app, take your time…it is an involved app. It’s due at the end of September.

You will have to pay for travel to/from college, incidentals, and perhaps health insurance if you don’t have it. (Many of the QB partners will pay for matched finalists’ health insurance.)

Like other posters, I would really encourage you to take an SAT or ACT, many QB partners require or prefer scores. Have you taken the PSAT or pre-ACT?

You also might look at these programs, if they are accessible for you:

Aguadilla, Carolina, Caguas, Dorado, Cayey, Humacao, Coto Laurel, Ponce, San Juan

SAT Test Center Search – SAT Suite | College Board

1 Like

I did take some practice tests and I kind of get around 30-33 without studying and then 34+ When I began studying.

2 Likes

I do not wish to apply test optional, I should have made that clarification. I am going to find a way to take the ACT this summer. (June and July)

5 Likes

It looks like the SAT has far more locations. I only saw two ACTs there but you might double check me.

Foundation - Isaac Bruce Foundation - this offers a scholarship for transportation to college.

1 Like

Start by getting a fee waiver (I believe this requries your counselor to do some paperwork). Also send a brag sheet to the teachers whom you plan to have write your letters of recommendation, and ask them to write their letters of recommendation now and save them for when you need them so they don’t forget the little details that make for a great LoR.

Do you know if any fly-ins will allow you to attend as a gap year student? If not, consider reaching out and asking.

Look at schools which offer a Kessler foundation scholarship, as it includes more than the full cost of aid:

Princeton is famously generous with financial aid for low income students, often providing start up grants and covering travel; check out their Net Price Calculator.

If you are stronger in math than English reading, you will probably get a higher score on the SAT. It’s also $8 cheaper (although it’s free with a fee waiver). Take a practice SAT on the bluebook app and compare your performance to that of a practice ACT.

2 Likes

In addition to health insurance (if needed), all of the colleges that accepted my children covered travel as part of their financial aid package. A few provided an annual stipend for incidentals, and a couple provided another small stipend for “startup costs” for the first semester of freshman year –meaning funds for things like a winter coat, boots, luggage, dorm storage furniture. One covered parents’ travel + hotel for freshman drop off. Since my kids did not apply through QB (though they applied to some QB schools), I imagine that the financial aid packages will be the same or better for QB applicants as far as travel and incidentals go.

4 Likes