So after the bloodbath that was college admissions this year, I am really questioning whether my profile is even competitive for top schools. A reality check + any advice on schools to consider for my major (preferably out of state) would be incredible!
Income Bracket: Upper-Middle Class
Type of School: Public
Hooks (Recruited Athlete, URM, First-Gen, Geographic, Legacy, etc.): Nope
Intended Major(s): Physics/Mathematics
GPA (UW/W): 4.0/5.3ish (out of 6, its a weird scale but my average grade is about a 98)
Rank (or percentile): 4/500ish
Amt. of Honors/AP/IB/Dual Enrollment/etc.: 10 after this year, 15 including senior year
Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics C (mech + e&m), AP Gov, AP Econ, AP Lit, AP Research, Adv. CS (Java class after AP CSA), DE Multivariable Calc, and another DE math class haven’t decided yet
List the highest scores earned and all scores that were reported.
- SAT I: 1550 (750RW, 800M)
- AP/IB: Physics 1 (5), CSP (5), WH (5), HUG (5)
List all extracurricular involvements, including leadership roles, time commitments, major achievements, etc.
- Violin/Orchestra (concertmaster and awarded soloist)
- -redacted name- website built on own initiative that provides free lessons, videos, and practice problems for all topics on the AP Calculus AB/BC course outline (WIP but currently through differential calculus)
- Magic: The Gathering (peak top 800 player in the world)
- Programming (PE top 1%, CS team but didn’t compete this year due to extenuating circumstances, Independent Projects, AI/ML club member)
- Math/Science Competitions (math team)
- Independent Learning (Algebra II, Calculus I, Python, Algos and Data Structures) through internet and edX
- Speedcubing (just a hobby, haven’t gotten to do competitions recently)
- Honor Societies (MAT, NHS, NTHS, NSHS)
- Math/Science tutoring (online and in-person)
- Work (don’t wanna doxx but its a weekend job a few times a month, 8-12 hour shifts)
List all awards and honors submitted on your application.
- National Merit (dont know which tier yet, 1490 psat)
- Project Euler top 1% of solvers (international)
- AP Scholar with Honor
- 2019-2020 Concertmaster of Region Orchestra
- 2-time All-State Area Qualifier
- Principal’s academic award
- 2-time Orchestra MVP award
Some schools I am looking at >
Safety: UT Austin and Texas A&M (auto admit)
Target: UMass Amherst (EA), CU Boulder (EA), Purdue (?)
Reach: MIT (EA), Caltech (EA), Princeton, Duke, Brown, UChicago (EA), Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Vanderbilt, Boston University
Any schools that are outside of Texas that I can realistically get into and provide good merit aid opportunities would be very much appreciated!!