So I think if she has Oregon State plus at least one more “Likely” that is good enough.
I think these are good starting-point definitions:
https://support.collegekickstart.com/hc/en-us/articles/217485088-Differences-Between-Likely-Target-Reach-and-Unlikely-Schools
For Likelies:
- Likely: the admit rate is over 50% and your academic profile puts you in the top quartile of students from the previous year. These are schools where you have a high probability of gaining admission and merit aid, and it’s ideal to have at least two in your list.
With her grades, class rank, and test scores, she basically just needs to be looking for places where the admit rate is 50%+, and of course it should be comfortably affordable and academically suitable. Ideally she would actually be pretty excited about why each Likely could be a good fit for her in particular.
Note that to the extent they have different admissions policies for in-state versus OOS, you want to apply the relevant admissions standards. If they actually have direct admissions to a desired major, you can look at that. Usually Bio stuff does not, it is just part of some sort of Arts & Sciences college or such with general admissions. But CS might.
OK, so the admit rate at places like WPI and RPI are over 50%, I believe, and there is no OOS distinction. You’d want to check this, but to my knowledge there is no specific restricted admissions to Computational Biology at either. I’m pretty confident she qualifies as a top 25th applicant on the numbers.
So assuming they look good for affordability and she really likes them, that to me is two more solid Likelies. I would not then worry about needing more.
Of course you aren’t necessarily limited either. Particularly when people chase merit, they might want more Likelies from the admissions perspective. Or sometimes people are still considering different sorts of colleges. Like if she wasn’t sure she wanted a tech focused college like WPI or RPI, maybe have another Likely which had a broader focus. Or an LAC, if she starts getting more interested in those. And so on.
But personally, I would not say she needs those, they would just be possibilities if she wanted to increase the diversity of her Likely options and/or chase merit.