Chance me! American Applicant for Oxford English undergrad

Class Rank: my school doesn’t rank students
ACT/SAT Scores: 1250

Coursework:

Sophmore year
AP European history: 4
AP Computer science principles: 3

Junior year
AP US History: 4

My senior year, I’m self studying AP lit and taking comp gov. I took AP micro, macro in junior year but was too sick to take the exam so I will be taking them senior year. But all of these are predicted at score 5

Awards:

Won regional Silver in Scholastic writing competition for poetry

Won Regional Gold in scholastic writing competition for short story

Praying for a conditional offer​:sob::folded_hands:

Here’s the link to the OP’s original post asking the same question but before the completion of junior year: Chance me! American Junior for Oxford PPE

Review the Oxford International qualifications webpage. You may not meet the qualification requirements.

1 Like

Your odds are very low - the 4s in course-relevant APs are pretty much a deal breaker.
(You must submit all scores and to have a shot you should have easily gotten 5s).

If you like European universities, What about Liberal Arts at Queen’s Belfast or one of the interdisciplinary Humanities programs at UCD (Dublin)?

If you’re interested in Oxford, you might want to read the novel The Eights by Joanna Miller.

2 Likes

I meet them with my predicted score but I know that isn’t ideal :sob:

Predicted AP scores aren’t a thing. Unlike A-levels or IB, there are no standardized interim evaluations in which to base predicted scores

If accepted, any offer would be conditional on achieving certain scores. But at this point, I’d consider Oxford a longshot at best.

3 Likes

English is AAA with the equivalent being:

Either Four APs at grade 5 (including any subjects required for the course you are applying to)

OR

Three APs at grade 5 (including any subjects required for the course you are applying to) plus a score of 31 or above in the ACT or 1460 or above (out of 1600) in the SAT.

Your predicted scores for current AP courses? Does Oxford even consider predicted scores for AP? (It’s not like predicting A-levels in the UK where there is a quite a standard and rigorous process.) Regardless who predicts the scores, I try to say this gently, your actual AP (two 4s and a 3) and SAT (1250) scores so far would suggest you are unlikely to make the shortlist for interview. (You have to put all your scores on UCAS, it’s not like the US where you leave off unfavorable scores.) What is it about Oxford that appeals to you? Where else are you thinking of applying?

3 Likes

Stop praying and start looking for viable alternatives. I’m not telling you not to apply-- but as the other posters have suggested, your application is a long shot so get cracking on some realistic options.

What is it about Oxford that you like- and how can we help you fill out your list? And what are your financial constraints???

I made a much better match me post : Match me! For North American, European, and Asian University’s