Cost Constraints / Budget None. My parents will pay tuition and I’ll pay for my own expenses with my trust fund.
Intended Major(s): English! I only want to attend schools with good English programs!
Course: English!!!
Unweighted/ Weighted GPA: 86% weighted and I’ve taken 6 APs
Class Rank: my school doesn’t rank students
ACT/SAT Scores: 1250
(SIDE NOTE MY SCHOOL HAS A RULE WHERE YOU CANT TAKE MORE THAN THREE APS A YEAR + ONLY 2 FOR SOPHOMORE YEAR AND 0 FRESHMAN)
AP scores:
Sophmore year
AP European history: 4
AP Computer science principles: 3
Junior year
AP US History: 4
Awards:
Won regional Silver in Scholastic writing competition for poetry
Won Regional Gold in scholastic writing competition for short story
AP Scholar Award
Extracurriculars:
Model UN
(Doesn’t really count but I was the primary caretaker for my little sister for several years which is why I don’t have many extracurricular)
I’m open to University’s in Europe, Asia, and North America as long as they have good English program taught in english! And money isn’t a issue for me.
You should definitely apply to NYU test-optional. Officially, NYU does not practice legacy admissions, however; they do have this posted statement online.
“NYU is always delighted when the children of alums apply and, if admitted, enroll. It’s a source of real pride to us, just as it is likely a source of special pride within an applicant’s family.”
There’s not enough info here - and define “good” - because most every college has a good English program.
Are you interested in creative writing or studying literature? Poetry/ Something else.
What is your academic record - I don’t get the PPE in high school.
What is your highest level of English you will attain in high school?
Math??
How many social sciences and what are they?
How many years of a single foreign language?
How many lab sciences will you take - and what are they?
You need to provide a lot more info.
Is your high school public or private? If private, they likely have counselors that can help you.
As for college type, do you want big flagship or mid size or small? You are from NYC - do you want urban, suburban or rural?
Single gender?
Provide more info please. All we know is you are a B student with a 1250 SAT. We know nothing else about you - short of you two APs in a social science and one in an elective.
Anywhere with an advanced English literature program (although having opportunities for some creative writing would be nice)
PPE was wrong. That was my old intended major a year ago but I’m 100% focused on English literature now.
My highest level will just be 12th grade English due to my schools AP constraints (and they force you to take certain ones so usually you can only take one AP of your own free will)
My highest math was PreCalc junior year since I took Algebra in 8th grade and I’m not taking a math this year
I’ve already listed all my social sciences
3 years of Italian
Public Specialized school
I’m fine with all college types (big or small) but I’d prefer a urban or suburban area
Virtually all 4 year colleges in the US will have an “advanced” English literature track or abundant options. If you are worried about running out of classes, focus on universities which have a graduate program in literature. You won’t be in college long enough to take advantage of every single class!
What does this mean? B, B+ weighted? What is your unweighted GPA? Can you translate into a 4 scale?
But bearing in mind that English would fall under CAS, which has less than a 5% admit rate, and to be realistic about it. (You don’t apply to a major at NYU, you apply to the school within NYU.) NYU’s CDS says they do not consider legacy. OP might consider whether they would be happy with being placed in the liberal studies program, which is where a number of students who are not admitted into CAS are placed (assuming it has been listed as a second option). Or even just apply directly to LS which has a higher admit rate to start with. I think the structure is fine for an English major; you would be able to transfer into CAS at the start of junior year after completing the LS core requirements.
so you are a B student, lacking rigor and a 1250 SAT.
So two that come to mind and I don’t know how admissions competitive the programs are - are Ole Miss and Iowa. Now given you are a female of Middle Eastern/Asian consent, I will note Ole Miss is about 2% Asian (I actually know a person of middle eastern descent who attended). U Iowa is about 4% Asian. Iowa is considered a top program so it might be more competitive than entry into the school. Both are in small towns - I’ll call them suburban but Iowa more so.
So you’d be a candidate for less selective publics - so you might check but I can’t assure admission to but I’m sure you’d get into to many of these schools and they fit what you described - which is pretty open. Some, like UNCW, are known for creative writing and I’m sure do fine for literature - but you can check academics anywhere, etc.
Large Flagships / flagship type:
Arizona
James Madison
Kansas
Ohio U
WVU
VCU - might be a hard get for the major
Midsize
Albany
Butler
College of Charleston
U Denver
Flagler
Hofstra
Ithaca
Marist
Mary Washington
UNC Wilmington
Quinnipiac
Salisbury
Various SUNYs that aren’t rural - Purchase, New Paltz
Small Colleges or LACs
Find some that like full pay - they may not happen but:
Beloit
Coe
Eckerd
Goucher
Kalamazoo - known for a more flexible curriculum so you may escape science/ math
Rhodes
Rollins
Ursinus
Given your financial strength, you could try American U.
Elon could fit but most will find it too rural. There’s not much adjacent but a small city about ten minutes away. My kid who needed suburban - it was a hard no. Similarly, would be Wheaton in Mass - which is known for a more flexible curriculum.
You could look up each school’s common data set (google school name + common data set). Most have. If you go to section B2, you’ll see a table like below. This is Eckerd College - obviously not a high Asian population but it’s a school just south of Tampa, with beach access. I’m not sure how Asian / Mideast population might impact your decision.
Anyway, this might give you some ideas - but you’re definitely going to fit into either less selective or wants a full pay. You might also look at general ed curriculums - you likely won’t escape more math and science. But you can look at each school - I highlighted Kalamazoo for this but there may be others (like Wheaton in Mass).
Personally, you can take a flyer at NYU but you are not remotely class in academic qualification.
Can you clarify this? Beyond tuition, Room and board will be ~$15K each year at many campuses, $26K at NYU. Is your trust fund going to cover everything beyond tuition? Beyond tuition/room/board there will be personal expenses, travel costs, etc.
I’m assuming you will not qualify for any need based aid?
If you had to estimate, what is your decile rank? I assume others from your school are going to apply to NYU, and you will be compared to your classmates in both grades and rigor.
This absolutely counts. I encourage you to include this in your activities AND make sure to check the appropriate box in Responsibilities and Circumstances. You can also write more about it in additional info if there are details worth sharing.
Definitely no financial aid and I don’t want to say an exact number on here, but my trust fund will definitely let me pay for my expenses without having to work (and I should have included it but my parents will just buy me an apartment in whatever city my school is in so I don’t have to worry about housing fees!!!)
With all due respect- this is a discussion you should be having with your college counselor at your HS, and not with a bunch of random strangers on the internet. I’m finding the drip drip drip of information hard to follow. But if you are at a specialized HS in NYC, they have resources that none of us have- they know who has applied where over the last five years and what the results have been. And they know you and we don’t.
So please- log off and go see an actual adult to talk through your plans.
To be fair, if the specialized HS is public, like Stuy or Bx Science, while they’ll have the data, they don’t have the counselor: student ratio of Collegiate or Trinity
I’m not being passive aggressive. I’m being forthright with you- just now you mentioned law school which is the first time you’ve discussed that. I’m pointing out that none of us know you; you are doling out information slowly, and none of us have access to the admissions results that your counselor has.
You don’t want to hear from me? Don’t read my posts.
Yea thats pretty accurate. My school is huge with like 2 college counselors so i have a better chance of getting into Yale before I snag a meeting with them