Not sure if this also applies to NYC! Your parents could invest money in a property instead of wasting money on dorm or apartment rent & fees for 4 years. I’d aim for NYU, whether it be liberal arts with a subsequent transfer to CAS or direct admit to CAS. I recommend pursuing the B.A. degree in English in the U.S. You can take advantage of sophomore & junior study abroad opportunities at NYU.
It does apply lol they do not want me living at home with them. But that just means more privacy however ill definitely talk to them about the property thing because I feel like that would be in my better interest (like if I go to college in Idaho then Im just stuck owning a apartment in the middle of nowhere![]()
)
Also in their better financial interest.
You live in NYC! The newly purchased property doesn’t need to be in SoHo or TriBeCa!
Are English programs generally better in the states? Because if they are then thats something I’ll definitely consider. To be honest I only really wanted Europe and Asia because I wanted to travel while on holiday but if I have access to study abroad programs then it wouldnt be the biggest deal to me
For pursuing a J.D. in corporate law in the future, I think pursuing your degree in English here is a better idea. I do believe that the undergraduate programs, in general, are more reputable.
There is no such thing as a JD in corporate law. A JD is a JD is a JD. The law school curriculum in this country is pretty standardized, whether a student wants to practice environmental law, immigration, M&A, or Family/Divorce law.
Thank you so much this is actually really helpful!
I meant with a focus on corporate or business law, which is the specialty Leakcan is interested in.
I think “focus” and “specialty” are the wrong words to use with a HS student who is interested in law school.
Leakcan does attend a NYC specialized high school. These students tend to plan well in advance, up to 12 years out, sometimes with concrete plans. When thinking about business school, law school, graduate school, & medical school, many of these students are not thinking in such simplistic terms (just about the PhD or M.D. degree), they are already considering potential specializations.
Exactly![]()
Ive been thinking about law school for years now and even know which firms I want to intern with. This isnt something I decided on a whim and I go to a pretty great school so I think I can understand what specialization and focus means.
I mean, generally, English majors are probably going to be better in English-speaking countries. The focus of the literature could be somewhat different between regions. The UK and Ireland would then be the obvious places to focus on in Europe (and both are easy to travel from). I don’t know much about English degrees at Australian universities but if the point is a travel base then Australia is not much good anyway. With the UK, you can only apply to 5 universities via UCAS, so you need to think carefully about where to apply, and make sure that at least 2-3 of them are appropriate academic matches. Your ECs will count for little to nothing there, and the UCAS statement is mostly about why you want to study the major you’re applying for rather than the personal reflection the common app essay is. You would obviously be able to work your awards into the UCAS essay, though. I am not sure what the application process for Ireland is but I suspect it is also mostly academics-based.
Yea thats what I was thinking as well! Ive been working pretty hard on my UCAS essay and my current list is Edinburgh,UCL, Durham, Warwick, kings college
Does your GPA align with those? How much is dependent on what you score in your current APs?
Take a look at some of the schools I mentioned above since you asked for a "match me,.
You asked to match you to schools - so I gave you many I think are solid for your profile. Perhaps some will resonate with you location wise or curriculum wise.
@DadTwoGirls often recommends Canadian schools so there might be something interesting there for you as well.
I don’t know about European and Asian schools.’
There’s a lot of schools your profile could work - but I gave you a few handfuls of varying size.
You asked - and that’s what the forum is for - so I’m hopeful that gives you a reasonable idea of the types of schools you’d fit.
One thing about law is - the top law schools have students enroll from well over 100 collegs. So you don’t need to be at an NYU or Columbia to get into Harvard.
You will need a high LSAT, great grades, and other accomplishments outside of class.
’
But that’s a discussion for several years from now.
But whether you are UNCW, Eckerd or U Kansas, you can still get into top law schools. But your game would have to be at a much higher level than HS. But that’s not today’s discussion.
I wish you luck and hope you found value in my initial post.
Thanks
I am having some trouble interpreting this. Is this on a scale where 90 or better is an A (or A- or A+), and 80-89 is a B? Also…
This may make a difference also. Sometimes specialized high schools have tougher grading scales, and at least in my experience it appears that university admissions tend to be familiar with different grades scales used in different high schools.
This I can understand, since it is on a scale that I am used to. I do wonder about the break up between English and Math scores.
And I wondered about this also.
In the context of schools in Canada, I was thinking that McGill seems unlikely with an 86% average and 1250 SAT, and that even without this McGill is noted for grade deflation which makes it probably not ideal for someone who wants to go on to law school in the US. The schools that I am familiar with in Ontario are the famous highly ranked ones (such as Toronto) which raises the same issues. British Columbia seemed like a long way to go. I am a bit familiar with the other two English-language universities in Quebec, and wondered about Concordia (up the street from McGill in the largely bilingual part of Montreal). They have programs with a major in creative writing or in English literature. However, their program in professional writing is only available as a minor.
I also wondered about whether @Leakcan is looking for a large school or a small school, and whether there is a preference for location.
I am pretty sure that this actually does count as an EC. Universities understand that some students have family responsibilities, and do not want to penalize you for this.
I actually know someone who did this. They might have lucked out, but it did work out okay. They sold it after graduation for a relatively small profit (the graduating student decided to move elsewhere for a job). I am guessing that doing this might be more difficult if you attend university outside the USA.
This does take away from the “get to know fellow students through living next to them in a dorm” experience. Some might therefore prefer to do this when in graduate school.
My experience with corporate law is significant but very, very highly skewed. Specifically I am only familiar with lawyers that worked for a small number of high tech companies. Quite a bit of their job was dealing with patents, and like patent lawyers they all had undergraduate degrees in some sort of engineering / technology / CS / math. However, this is a very skewed set of corporate lawyers, and my understanding is that with the exception of students wanting to go on to deal extensively with patents, you can major in essentially anything and then go on to law school.
A very wide range of universities have many choices for study abroad programs. I have seen some during the regular school year, and some that go over either part or most of the summer. The summer programs have the advantage that they do not need to disrupt the normal progression of course work in your university, and many of the places that you might want to go are quite nice in the summer (Europe being an obvious example). One daughter did an intensive French immersion program over the summer (5 weeks) and seemed to like it.
To be honest I do not recall ever seeing a university that did not have a study abroad program.
You should apply directly to one of the LS programs at NYU.
Obviously Fordham (and coming from a specialized HS, you’d likely have a shot at the Honors Program).
Dickinson has a solid English program and is known for its study abroad programs.
https://dickinson.studioabroad.com/_portal/tds-program-brochure?programid=10179
St Olaf has the Enduring Questions Conversation which is perfect for future Law School students and a Global Semester (as well as many study abroad options).
Include UIowa English(+Honors) as a safety. It’s a highly reputable program.
Beyond this
UCAS: I would remove UCL and add the Liberal Arts program at Queen’s Belfast.
In Ireland (CAO), look at the multidisciplinary Humanities majors at UCD (Dublin).
CAO is very streamlined - you can apply now, listing your top 10 programs (or any number). Your admission results are strictly based on GPA/AP scores/SAT scores so there’s no essay, LoR, etc.
For Law School, Sciences Po Reims with the Humanities&Culture specialty in the 2nd year would be a possibility.