Wow! That is a lot of work.
Congrats to your son. Well done!
Wow! That is a lot of work.
Congrats to your son. Well done!
Agree. I knew just what an honor it is, too. I am surprised more CC posters don’t, actually. However, I am more attuned to prestige than many posters, and perhaps that’s why I knew just how prestigious the award is.
To quote @gardenstategal from another thread, the Morehead Cain is more prestigious [than Yale] but less well known. Perhaps others who want to learn more could read other threads about the scholarship, which would put it into context.
Driving up to Dartmouth tomorrow for my son to take another look. I am somewhat surprised that he has not been able to make a decision (not like him), but I think the varied opinions he has received, especially at school (and even from family), are causing him to think it’s a win or lose decision when I know it is a win or win.
It’s a win and win - except for what you could do with $350K in the bank ![]()
Have a fun trip.
Not sure what I typed the other day before it autocorrected to something wonky
But these ae great options! As wonderful as the MC benefits are, it sounded like to me that the final not will be Dart. But tomorrow’s visit will be critical.
Not sure about your kid, but this can be by far the biggest decision some kids have made so far in their lives, and for sure sometimes the peer and social media chatter is making it seem more risky than it really is.
Hopefully after the visit there will be some more clarity.
Just curious - how was his four days at UNC - in regards to the campus, area, etc. I’m assuming he didn’t love it or he’d not be here now. Obviously UNC is larger and has more “city” in the immediate area.
Did something not jive for him there?
He liked it at UNC and really likes MC, too - even beyond the $$. For him, it truly knocked out UVA (considered EDing there), UTA (with $30k annually), GTech. It would have eliminated Cornell. It was never beating, for him - MIT, Harvard, and Wharton. Dartmouth was the single “discussion school” and there are reasons that I will try to better explain later if he goes that route.
I did this more for fun. I had not been on the website in more than a year. VERY GOOD advice.
I bet that group is team Dartmouth since it is more of a Wall Street feeder than UNC and skews wealthier. I think the undergrad experience is more than that and a high performer like your son has already risen to the top of the cohort at UNC. Such different vibes too!
I’m looking forward to hearing his impressions after visiting.
Both schools have robust greek life. Is this of interest? At UNC one fraternity is known for being preferred by MC scholars in fact.
Note that fraternity and sorority participation is much higher as a percentage of students at Dartmouth, where 44-45% of upperclass students and 33% of undergraduates overall join (but frosh are not allowed to join). At UNC, only 7% of male and 12% of female undergraduates join (1% and 2% of frosh respectively).
However, the size difference of the schools means that the absolute number of fraternity and sorority members is similar or somewhat higher for UNC. But it does mean that UNC has many more undergraduates not in fraternities or sororities.
I believe those percentages don’t include National Panhellenic Council or the Multicultural Greek Council (only IFC and Panhel) which puts the greek population at UNC closer to 20% of undergrads. Regardless, the greek life is robust at both schools and influences the social scenes.
My son has gone back and forth on his final decision. He needs to decide on Monday. If anyone would like to share opinions on what he should do, with reasons why you feel that way, we would appreciate the input. I will leave you with the following:
My wife and I are just hoping he picks the school that makes him happier. Thanks for the insights.
Without knowing your son and his personality it’s really hard to know what he should do but the good news is he has a win win choice.
Personally, if it were my kid, I’d be nudging UNC. To me all the extra MC perks make it a very unique opportunity and your point #4 really jumps out at me.
Full disclosure, I didn’t have a good experience visiting Dartmouth so I’m probably a bit biased.
That is not what I would have suspected. Though he will be surrounded by other MC winners from around the country/world (75 per class), the large preponderance of undergrads at UNC are instate. Urban and rural folk. Wasn’t thinking they would be socially a better fit than Dart.
It sounds like these statements go together?
How long are each of the four summer MC experiences? Do they potentially interfere with finance internships? (Many finance wannabes will have at least two summer internships before graduating.)
I am sure these experiences are valuable but if they interfere with especially a post junior year internship, that may be something to consider.
I’m sure UNC has a club team, and they just might be more competitive than the Dartmouth squad, and with less time commitment.
As to brand recognition, if it’s getting factored into the decision, you might think about who knows the brand (effectively MC v Dartmouth) and if that matters. I’m going to guess that those who know about MC, especially alums of the program, will almost always jump at the chance to help/promote another MC scholar, knowing that it’s likely to be a talented person who has had some great experiences through the program. It’s a very prestigious scholarship.
Dartmouth alums are tight, almost clubby, as well. My hunch is that these two different cohorts show up in somewhat different spheres, professionally, geographically, etc. Does your son need/want the in in one in particular?
Mostly, though, it seems like UNC is what this student wants, so maybe it is time to ignore the siren song of Dartmouth. And I say this as someone for whom - for myself or my kid - Dartmouth would be a great fit.