If he chose MC, current issues in the world aside, would he consider the international gap year option?
I hope he chooses the college where he can see himself being happy and doing well for all four years.
While we have a number of Dartmouth grads in DHs family, it was not the school for DH…at.all. It’s not the college for everyone. And it doesn’t matter that it is an Ivy. I hope that gets taken out of the decision criteria.
I hope also that he considers what else (like maybe grad school, or something) that undergrad money could be used for…as UNC certainly is a place where money can be saved for the future.
I will say…I think both of these colleges are excellent…so there really isn’t a bad choice!
This is a shame but not for the normal reason. Forgetting the $400k-ish savings - it’s a huge plug to be able to say - I funded my own college experience. It carries significant weight with hiring managers - regardless of the school name - but UNC is not just any school.
If he can handle rejection, sure try Dartmouth. Can’t the coach assess from film ? If not, he feels UNC is the better fit.
Heck, if he truly wanted baseball, his list would look a lot different so I’d question how critical it is.
There are tons of unemployed or not doing well Ivy grads. Ivy allure is a myth they’ve created and works well during this time of application, maybe not as much when they are 40. UNC doesn’t guarantee anything either but MC will be such a small fraternity -that will most assuredly help if needed. The reality is - most alums - no matter the school - get so many requests that even with the best intentions, they can’t just help all.
I believe this and I don’t see it as close:
“Four years, four summers—fully funded. Immersion in a vibrant student body. Experienced advisors to introduce passion and potential to a world of opportunity. Exclusive enrichment and networking opportunities—indeed a lifetime connection—with the unique tapestry that makes up the Morehead-Cain community across the globe.”
I looked where my HS Dartmouth person is - mid level mngr like me.
If there’s Ivy prestige that truly carries in life, it’s HYP (to me). Def not Dartmouth. And I think that first step matters…or grad school.
You asked for an opinion.
MC is the kind of thing a truly serious student can only dream of.
That it’s free - even if it doesn’t matter to you - will to hiring managers vs the rich kid whose dad paid for Ivy.
He visited both, Dartmouth recently. I’d have hoped he did decide.
Good luck.
First world problems ![]()
Are you saying hiring managers inquired about how you payed for your college…and self funding was considered a plus when interviewing? Maybe that happened back in the day when you were hired, but frankly, it’s no one’s business how you paid for college. The only time I believe that comes into play is in certain jobs where excessive loans are a liability, but that’s the opposite of what you are saying.
I think @heavyweightcollege son doesn’t need to worry that he will somehow have job finding difficulties if his parents choose to fully find this college education.
100% it did when I got my MBA and both kids leveraged it in their interviews.
Just like some use athletics. Some use other things they’ve done - ie I work to pay my tuition.
It’s a definite thing that some will take into account. It’s another feather in the cap, especially in interviews. There are many traits it demonstrates. And many experiences in the MC enrichment to feed off of - my daughter talked to everyone about her Fellows trip to Vieques - and put in her cover letters.
It’s not a today vs back in the day thing…in my opinion. It’s a win - and employers like employees who win. It may not be a thing when you walk in the door - but it is a thing when you bring it up - when they ask you about yourself!! 100%.
Points 1 and 4 seem to be the most important factors here. If UNC is the better fit AND he has all of the benefits and prestige that come with MC, the choice seems really clear.
I’m an alum of UNC so I’m definitely biased when I say this, but Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town and an experience that can’t be beat. I can’t emphasize enough how many opportunities and how much personalized attention MC scholars and honors program students get there. I was just in the honors program and did not have the MC but even still I had access to loads of fancy receptions and dinners with really famous visiting writers, musicians, politicians, etc. The networking opportunities were unreal. In my senior year I was asked to help organize some of these events and even got to take a REALLY famous Oscar-winning actress to a one-on-one lunch and drive her back to the airport. I was given money for research projects that funded my travel to Europe. My professors introduced me to friends and colleagues that helped me with internships and jobs. My classmates were incredibly impressive students that came from all over the world (in my close college friend circle, I have friends who now live in Munich, London, Edinburgh, Dubai, NYC, Boston, DC, and Los Angeles). Your kid will definitely be with the best of the best as a MC scholar.
Take the money and run. Dartmouth will always be there for graduate school.
Maybe/maybe not. I guess it depends on what he can get. The main one, after junior year is expected and they assume the whole summer. If he hopes to wedge in short ones earlier in his college career - that can be a little trickier but probably workable.
before freshman - 2 weeks
before sophomore 8 weeks (hardest one to coordinate)
before junior year - 5 weeks globally (can include an internship overseas or when back)
before senior year - internship is main focus.
They somewhat encourage it and even pay you something to do it if you travel abroad. He was not excited about it when it came up.
Oddly, I have both an MC scholar from UNC and a Dartmouth alum on my small team at work. Both are very smart, very motivated, very high performing people. The Dartmouth alum came to me via networking—a recommendation from a colleague on a different team (also a Dartmouth alum) and the UNC grad… I created a new role for them because they were that special. I actually knew nothing about the MC scholarship at the time, but if my colleague is any indication of the caliber of person awarded the MC, I’d say your son is going to be amazing no matter where he goes. And if I were casting a vote, I’d pick UNC and the MC opportunity. Your son will no doubt take full advantage of the MC program and grow in ways you and he can’t imagine. And if it’s the better social fit, all the better.
Good luck!
This is why I said earlier - such first world problems - in jest.
The student is obviously going to have every opportunity to crush it in life regardless of the ultimate choice. They clearly are a winner.
You’ve been so helpful to me and many others, so I’d love to try to help!
- What was your son’s gut feeling after seeing Dartmouth and UNC? Did one feel more like home?
- What about the surrounding areas? Dartmouth is beautiful but it’s not that close to a city (I know there is a bus to Boston), but I can’t imagine kids go to Boston all that often. I saw Chapel Hill a long time ago, but as I recall the area was very nice with lots to do. Is your son ok with mostly being on the Dartmouth campus?
- Does your son want big time sports? My S27 definitely wants that and was not excited by the prospect of watching the Dartmouth teams when we toured last summer. Your son would definitely get that at UNC with basketball and maybe football at some point!
- Being from New England, I get that the Dartmouth allure is very strong! I have known several people who went to both schools and loved their experiences, so ultimately I think fit is what will likely drive this choice.
Good luck! I’m sure he will thrive at either school!
Thank you!
Dartmouth was rainy for each of his two visits and it felt somewhat secluded. UNC visit was part of finalist weekend. and it seemed more vibrant. I think that is what he would probably say. He likes the sports and spirit, but not so much so that he let that drive the process. I think he may have been underestimating that.
Congratulations to your son!
I can see how this would be a hard call.
On the question of whether MC is not well known enough to be the boost when job hunting, I think the use of AI to screen resumes will mitigate that in the future (if it even is an issue to begin with).
On the topic of employment, one of the many great things about programs like MC for the students in them is that the people who administer the program are heavily invested in those specific students’ success. It is such a help - emotionally and practically - to have a team working along with you to get you opportunities.
very good point
Back to say, just send that deposit to UNC!!!
That is not illusory, lol. I have ridden the Dartmouth Coach to/from Boston many times (late mom lived in New London). It’s a perfectly acceptable way of getting to the airport, but not “let’s pop over to the city for fun” by any means.
Also, UNC Club Baseball looks like a great option!
Keep in mind, too, that the schools are on different calendar schedules. If he was there, meaning at Dartmouth, in mid March, the students were probably studying or in the middle of exams. UNC’s exams don’t start until the end of April.
Dartmouth study and exam time + bad weather = very quiet campus (very different from football season/homecoming/bonfire time on campus). Really not a fair comparison to UNC during basketball season!
