Chance Me - and I WILL PROVIDE DETAIL OF PROCESS AND RESULTS IN APRIL [93 GPA, 1530 SAT, business]

Great options. Congratulations to him

3 Likes

I learned a lot through this process. Some situations supported my thinking and some things definitely caused me to question it. He got two fewer admits than I hypothesized. Happy to talk about most anything if you feel it might be interesting or helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Congratulations on wonderful options and OMG awesome about Morehead-Cain!! Has he narrowed it down? Looking forward to hearing where he lands!

PS. Love the “better luck next time” categorization! “Maybe for grad school” would also work :wink:

5 Likes

Narrowed down to the top two. When he got Morehead Cain, we agred that only Haravard and Wharton would beat it (he had already been deferred then rejected from MIT). Dartmouth was a discussion and Cornell was a no. Here we are…

6 Likes

I bet it’s going to be a tough choice since MC has so much extra support for their scholars but very different schools/vibes/location. I hope you will be comfortable sharing some of the decision making process too!

4 Likes

Wow. Incredible.

40 Acres at UT - finalist meaning he’s still in the running or Finalist and didn’t get ? Same with Richmond.

Which two did you think he’d get that he didn’t ? Or is there more than two different but you thought there’d be two more in overall.

Did you end up sharing he was an MC finalist with other schools ?

Would you do it now either way the WL schools ? You said it’s UNC and one other (there’s a top two) so I guess not. I can’t tell if the other is Dartmouth or something else bcuz you said only two schools may beat it and those didn’t happen.

He’s done crazy well. Congrats to him.

3 Likes

This was a bit of a situation.

MC gave finalist weekend 2 weeks earlier. And the weekends overlapped. Decided to ask if they would possibly let him go to Austin other days. They “rightly so” said no. Their solution was they would call MC and see if they would split the weekend. We said no (seemed like a bad idea), and then he had to bow out.

4 Likes

Congrats on wonderful results!

2 Likes

Wrong Calls that netted 2, and my guesses why.

MIT admit - thought athletics would carry him.

Georgetown admit - underestimated demonstrated interest.

Cornell admit - 2 kids got in ED from school and that is very unique given small size.

UVA waitlist - not sure why I made that call tbh. mainly becasue he was EA and not ED and his school usually only gets 1 student per year.

1 Like

Only Dartmouth, Harvard, and Penn (I think - have to confirm with him.) No regrets - but I do not think it mattered either way.

2 Likes

lost

This is valuable (but not surprising) intel about these two schools. MIT is generally pretty candid about what athletics will and will not do. And Georgetown isn’t explicit- but any college with competitive admissions is going to care if they are an after-thought or a serious contender. And I’ll go further- Georgetown, Notre Dame, BC and Villanova in my experience REALLY care that a student isn’t just pacifying their family, or the faculty at their Catholic HS, or their parish priest, or just the world in general, by “throwing together” an application. And for non-Catholic applicants- they like to see that a student really appreciates what the university is all about, not just that it’s prestigious, is in DC, punches above its weight with grad schools.

Congrats on some fantastic results!!!

3 Likes

Congrats – let us know the final choice.

1 Like

You are right. MIT was very classy through the process. They did not overpromise, but the mind takes you there.

Thank you. I will.

Deciding between Dartmouth and UNC.

2 Likes

He didn’t ‘lose’ - he got in and had a great experience :slight_smile:

It’s too bad some of the premier ones can’t schedule together so that they don’t use the same weekend. Not sure if that’s realistic - like MC, Johnson, Forty Acres, others, etc.

1 Like

Well, that would be collusion. I also wouldn’t be surprised if some of these schools actively seek to schedule these the same weekend as their ‘competitors.’

5 Likes

Perhaps they intentionally conflict so that applicants will be forced to choose the one that they are most interested in.

2 Likes