Always an interesting choice when the institutions are so different but one has offered a very well-known merit scholarship. No bad options, of course, assuming Dartmouth is also comfortably affordable. Just can be hard to process the contrast.
Collusion to ‘avoid’ using the same weekend. I’m suggesting to not use the same weekend. Truly it wouldn’t be possible though - so many schools have these types of weekends so kids getting a few of these would likely trip up.
I didn’t do too badly I don’t think - my misses:
MIT (said accept - thought coach support would do it given stem stats)
Dartmouth (said WL - not shocked )
MI (said accept)
NYU (said deny)
Vanderbilt (said accept)
UT (said deny but probably knew least about this one’s processes)
Georgetown (said accept)
Huge congrats - and good luck deciding - wonderful options!!
I’m suggesting to not use the same weekend
I believe the that @heavyweightcollege asked about this…and was politely told it was not possible.
If we are voting here, I vote for UNC CH, with the MC award.
Yes I agree that if colleges offering top merit scholarships communicated with each other to schedule the weekend visits it could be seen as collusion (which was subject to recent litigation and seems to have contributed to the dissolution of the 568 presidents group). Its seen as a violation of the Sherman act. And I also further agree with @Mwfan1921 that colleges would not mind making an applicant “choose” which to attend if they overlap/conflict.
And at some point, the calendar runs out of weekends!
How did you choose between the two?
I did not think of that!
You did very well.
More on MIT. He has the math look, but he is not likely an engineer, scientist or a tech. We approached it more like a business kid who appreciates all of that. It was honest so no regrets but maybe that made him less interesting. As people say here often, you never know why you do not get accepted.
Is your S going to go to an admitted student day at Dartmouth?
That is the plan, but unfortunately, his days are numbered for him to accept MC or not. He has about a week. Likely going to drive back up to Dartmouth next weekend.
have not yet… “mostly” his choice but I may have mentioned, out of the 23 schools he applied to, we agreed up front that two would beat the program (for us, because still debatable), and one would be a discussion. Dartmouth was the discussion. Isn’t that the way life works?
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the details. Dartmouth obviously does not have a business or finance major, but he can do econ and take advantage of many Tuck programs available for undergrads. He will get a great education at either school; it will probably come down to the school atmosphere, setting, scale, etc.
Another thing on our minds. On one hand, more liberal arts-like overall. On the other hand, Tuck courses are part of your options - and very strong placement in the whole world of finance if he decides that is his path.
Ah, I mean choosing to attend the Morehead Cain finalist weekend over the forty acres finalist weekend
It was crazy. Thanks for mentioning. I thought he had a slight chance with an honest conversation and our willingness to get him there some other time around their schedule. When they were communicating directly with him, and offereng to call MC… I was very concerned. He wrote a carefully crafted and direct email after they offered to contact MC for a second time. And that was the end.
If he’s interested in high finance and wants to weigh Dartmouth vs UNC MC in that respect, consider having him make a post on WallStreetOasis
funny you should say that. i have been reading. they are a snobby bunch, but pretty funny. I can mention to him.
And his major doesn’t have to be econ to move into many finance/finance adjacent jobs (I know you know.) Math would work, as would many other majors (as you know, my D, who is in IB, was a neuroscience major, although not at Dartmouth.)
did not know that