Yes! Like 2 months ago. It was nice I guess. The only thing that really suck with me is that there was no presentation slides or anything, which was wierd cuz every other college’s info session had one…kinda fell asleep during the session tho (1 am my time, had school the next day and the day before too so I was exhausted. Also had to sleep on a particularly hard surface so i’d be uncomfortable and actually wake up when my alarm rang )
At first I thought you were talking about me playing sports and I laughed but then I read further and yeah I get what you mean
idk why I thought that makes the school fun but then I remembered the stereotypes (about Reed)
I am excited (cries in lack of funds I am getting somewhere with the whole affordability thing tho)
Don’t worry about the stereotypes, if it’s a fit for you that’s what matters. When are Reed’s decisions supposed to come out? (edit: just checked, the website says by Apr 1)
Actual decisions are out and I was waitlisted. Waitlist decisions are coming out anywhere from April 1st to August. Haven’t returned my waitlist form tho because i’d need my result from the exams we just finished writing and also beg my teacher for an extra lor…do you know any other things I could add to my waitlist materials to like increase my chances of getting in (i’ve been racking my brain for awards or anything I’ve gotten since I started app season but nothing substantial has come to mind so I don’t officially know what to do…i’ve started designing websites for people for money but other than that nothing much). Thank you!
I am not familiar with what they accept for waitlist students. Besides needing grades, did they say they will accept a LOCI and/or an addt’l LoR? If so I would do those things.
In the LOCI, you should express your interest in attending and a bit about why you think Reed is a good fit. You could also add the designing websites EC to the LOCI.
Jesus they gave me three weeks to turn in my waitlist form and that was a week ago
oh yes funding… its like I go one step forward and 56 steps back iswr. My family can bust out 13k rn (family and aunts; hoping that number will increase before the 1st tho cuz thats my hollins I20 deadline). I thought I had access to a 10k loan but oh my was I wrong so back to square one with 3 days on the clock which is obviously what i needed right now (things would have been so much easier with a cosigner but I guess thats risky so my relatives aren’t really keen on it and they’re being generous enough I don’t intend to take it for granted and ask for more)
Son went to college near Reed. I love Portland and would consider living up there full time but for the fact that my son moved back home. Great part of the country and many things to do. Reed may or may not be a work aholic environment but it’s not an easy school to get into and does have its uniqueness.
Depends on the LAC. Some have very low acceptance rates such as Williams, Amherst, etc. others higher such as some of the west coast LAC like colleges such as Whitman or Occidental which are between 30-50% acceptance rate.
You have till May 1st.
Once you’ve decided which university is your best choice (ie., least unaffordable), you can contact them and see if they would be okay with a lower deposit (perhaps explain the amount equals xx in Naira and your bank needs time to process the loans which would be for the deposited along with the tuition fee, etc. - who here has successfully negotiated a lower deposit? $800 seems very high. )
An alternative is for you to defer by a year, perhaps if relatives can host you while you enroll in A Levels in Nigeria or in the UK (or if you have US relatives who can help you attend a US HS but I’d be very wary of that as a plan because the current US situation makes that rather risky.)
Wrt Reed, be aware that for Internationals who need a lot of FA, a WL is a " we’d admit you because you have the profile we want but we don’t have the money" not a normal wait-list. I would cross it out of your possibilities.
I know that even if they wanted me, they’d look at my FA and take 2 steps back then smack my application into the rejected pile so I don’t particularly have hopes for Reed..or any other uni at this point lol I’m so burnt out but Spelman’s decision is coming out and I’m pretty sure I didn’t submit an Isfaa or anything (like 90% sure) so I’m a tad bit excited for it
I have a friend with a daughter at Hollins. Hollins had a huge $75 million donation from an alum a few years ago. They are doing quite well financially and have used the donation to set up some great scholarships and to renovate some of their historic buildings. $75mil is a lot when your enrollment is less than 1000 students.
Hollins also has newish (last 5 years) student apartments for seniors and juniors. My friend’s daughter has lived in them and they are very nice.
All this info is readily available. The $75 million donation was a huge deal in 2021 and is the largest donation ever given to a women’s college. Hollins has a decent number of international students and is pretty LGBTQ friendly. SweetBriar is not LGBTQ friendly, especially T, if that is a concern.
Could you contact Hollins and tell them “I am currently considering Hollins one of my top two choices alongside a college in MA, but their deposit is $400 and they offered work study in addition to scholarships, so I am wondering whether Hollins could do something similar.”
ONLY DO THIS IF YOU PLAN TO ENROLL (and thus have the funds more or less lined up). You can’t have them “bend over backwards” for you if you don’t have any intention or way to enroll.
Hollins has long been a favorite of powerful Southern families with studious daughters, it’s a good fit, and I think it’s the least expensive of the 2, right?
Oh that’s quite a rep to have I guess that application is going to remain incomplete (not sure why I had this notion that all women’s colleges were lgbt+ friendly. oh wellm you learn something new everyday).
I have thank you, but they haven’t replied to any of my mails. I only sent ones that were necessary tho. Not trying to be a bug when I’m guessing its a busy time in the application season (I guess).
i did not just get intimidated
Yes
…i have asked wheaton if i could speak to a FA advisor regarding some of the costs. Figured I may as well try so we’ll see how that goes
thank you!
Rejected from spelman didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would because I got a cosigner (another cousin, not aunt this time) for my loan
Sweet Briar is not at all non-binary friendly. Look it up. Here’s one local article:
Here’s the author that canceled her appearance over their change in policy:
Hollins has a lot of Ls and Bs and NBs and also has a lot of Ts although I don’t think they have the most LGBTQIA+ friendly policy at a school I’ve ever seen (that would be Warren Wilson), but its a lot better than Sweet Briar if you are looking for that. Plenty of straight women too. It’s a good mix.
Agnes Scott in Decatur (Atlanta area) is a women’s college still accepting applications if you’d like to throw another application in the mix. They give generous scholarships and have a very diverse student body, about 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 other ethnicities. They are also very LGBTQ friendly. They have a really cool SUMMIT program for all students that includes internships and study abroad. They are all about lifting students up and helping them succeed. I really liked it when we visited and my D22 strongly considered it.
Just nitpicking, but this isn’t really true. Neither North Carolina State (huge public university open to all, well known for engineering, STEM, design, etc) nor Appalachian State (another medium-big public) follow this “rule of thumb”. North Carolina also has one of the highest number of HBCUs in the country, with 10 or 11 or 12 depending on how you count. Three of them have “state” in the name, but the other 7 or 8 do not. Some are private and some are public. NC also has a historically Native American college (UNC-Pembroke).