Chance Me: HYPSM + UCs + Brown PLME! Biology on pre-med track, 1560 SAT, 35 ACT, 4.0 UW GPA, CA resident

@wayoutwestmom can elaborate on the changes in the loan repayment programs.

In the meantime, please read this thread:

Thank you for the financial aid insight!

Yeah, I heard that private loans are super predatory, am trying to avoid them. And you’re right about the med school emphasis on undergrad name - not that much!

After hearing all the great tips, will probably remove some full-pay colleges from my list.

1 Like

With the changes in federally funded loans, there are some loan folks who have stepped up to offer loans. @Mwfan1921 and they are not predatory.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help!

Yes, I’m super set on becoming a doctor haha. I will definitely drop MIT and Caltech from the list but maybe apply to the rest if I have time (will place much, much more focus on UCs and merit though).

Never knew that about UC Riverside! And it has a med school, which is great.

I think I’m probably below the average student at MIT/Caltech, which have students who have done very well in Olympiads. CMU doesn’t have merit aid, so will probably drop that too.

I’m taking Organic Chem at UC Berkeley Extension this summer for a feel of a UC Berkeley class - hopefully don’t get weeded out! Did hear that the extension classes are generally easier than actual UC classes though.

Good to know, thank you!

Yes, I considered URochester but had to drop it because I exceeded the 20-college limit. I will probably switch Caltech out and put it in - it does have full merit scholarships. Thank you for the tips!

Thank you! Yes, that’s what I heard from my high school, so AP Chinese would count as 4 years I think?

1 Like

Oh that’s great to know! Thank you!

Thank you so much! Yes, I thought about EDing but realized it wouldn’t be best in terms of cost (would be bound to a likely 400k college). Would you happen to have any input on your experience with the full-ride scholarships? And sorry, what do you mean by “favorite three”?

Oh thank you! I didn’t know that it asked for leadership positions/jobs.

I also didn’t know about these datasets. This is really helpful, thank you! UCSB seems to have a 42% life sciences acceptance rate, which is relieving. And Berkeley’s life science acceptance rate is higher than the average

The answer is definitely to save for med school - don’t want to be in more than half a million of debt when I come out haha. Thank you!

Thank you for the advice! Yes, probably have too many schools to the extent where it’s harmful. I am going to start writing my essays this summer (already have a first draft of personal statement) but with no college counselor, the essays may be lower-quality than some.

The attributes that I’d like to highlight through examples would be willingness to help others, foster a collaborative environment, etc.

Thank you so much for the recommendations! Will definitely apply to Rochester after the great suggestions.

Does anyone recommend UMD (I saw a profile similar to mine get full ride)?

Also, any input on USC (full tuition/half tuition)?

LACs I felt they were too expensive, but after hearing about the merit aid at them, sounds great!

Thank you! This is really helpful

Would you happen to have specific non-predatory programs in mind? I tried looking some up and they all seemed suspicious haha

Just looked up medical school costs - it seems like $110k/year OOS cost is pretty normal. And for UW, it’s $140k a year for OOS :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Please look at University of New Mexico. Your undergrad costs would be low, and IF you get accepted to their medical school, those costs are very competitive also.

In my opinion, this is at least worth a look see.

Other options…Rhodes College is a great choice for premeds. You won’t really see snow there, but you have the potential for significant merit aid there. Another one I think is worth checking.

Washington and Lee has the Johnson Scholarship…a full ride…and they offer this to a decent number of incoming freshmen. That could be a possibility also for you, in my opinion.

1 Like

Sure, may want to message me so i do not put the crowd to sleep.

2 Likes

This is not accurate (but $200K is the professional degree limit for federal loans.) The lifetime FEDERAL loan limits are $257,500 including undergrad/grad/professional degrees. That number excludes the $65K max parent plus loans.

OP, you will need to do research on loans. This area is developing rapidly, and will look different by the time you go to med school. Here is a thread on the current loan change info: Loan changes effective 2026-2027 academic year

Right, all private loans are not predatory. For example, Sallie Mae offers educational loans for med school. Some med schools offer loans to their students, and more are expected to begin doing so. Some states are offering loan options for med school students. Again, things are rapidly developing.

As many posters have said, I would recommend you minimize undergrad cost and take out no more than the $27K max in federal loans for undergrads.

3 Likes

There are a number of non-predatory private loan programs, including a very robust program offered by Sallie Mae.

Loan rates depend on your personal credit rating, whether or not you have a co-signer, whether you agree to auto debit your monthly loan payment post med school/residency. New med grads get 60 days after graduation before repayment is required. (60 days will take you to the first month of residency where you will be paid while you continue your training.)Some people can afford to start repayment during residency; some can’t.

Sallie Mae allows borrowers 4 years of loan deferment during residency. (Deferment mean your interest continues to accumulate but you are not required to begin payback immediately after med school graduation.) Or you can begin making interest-only payments as soon as your start residency.

Repayment options are flexible,

Are the rates as low as federal student loans? No, but they’re not ridiculously high either.

2 Likes