Chance Me / Match me for Northwestern with a BAD GPA but okay spike [CO resident, 3.75 GPA, 1590 SAT, business or economics]

Any responses are appreciated. Please be brutally honest, especially about Northwestern. I know my GPA is the main weakness and that my list is very reach-heavy. Feel free to recommend schools too.

Demographics

Gender: Male
Race/Ethnicity: Asian/Indian
Residence: Co
School: Large, relatively competitive public school with an IB program
Hooks: None

Intended Major(s)

Northwestern: Economics

Other schools: Business, economics

Academics

GPA: 3.75 UW / approximately 4.6 W
Class Rank: School does not rank
SAT: 1590

I had a significant freshman-year dip and finished that year at approximately a 3.39 UW GPA. From October of freshman year through around the beginning of sophomore year, my dad was dealing with severe autoimmune-related health problems. This affected my grades and limited my extracurricular involvement. My counselor will corroborate the circumstances in her recommendation, and my grades improved considerably afterward. Also 3 DE Economics classes at a local cc in my sophomore summer.

My counselor said she will select the second-highest possible course-rigor rating. At my school, the highest designation is reserved for full IB Diploma candidates.

Senior-year courses:

  • AP Calculus BC

  • AP English Literature

  • IB History HL

  • IB Business Management

  • AP Environmental Science

  • AP Spanish 5

  • Intro to Sociology (DE)

  • International Relations (DE)

AP scores being submitted:

  • AP Microeconomics: 5

  • AP Statistics: 5

  • AP PreCalc: 4

Extracurriculars/Activities

1. Creator and sole developer of a free economics platform

  • Built 12 free, source-cited economics modeling tools

  • Reached approximately 25,000 visits and 3,200 repeat users

  • Featured by a major economics publication and praised by a prominent economics professor/textbook author; winner of a 1k$ cash builder competition for highschoolers

2. Speech Team Captain

  • Co-lead more than 20 speakers

  • Run weekly practices, drill rounds, novice recruitment, and coaching

  • Mentored three NSDA Nationals qualifiers and three state finalists

3. Independent quantitative systems research

  • Built three systems to study different forms of market mispricing

  • Projects include a live digital-item arbitrage system, event-contract bias tests using 66 paper trades, and a system that risk-ranked trading behavior across 38,125 wallets

  • Have developed the main system since freshman year, including hundreds of code commits

4. Creator and sole developer of a local economic-data platform

  • Built a platform covering 3,143 U.S. counties and 120 metropolitan areas

  • Includes college ROI tools, regional comparisons, and a macroeconomic simulator

  • Reached approximately 220,000 visits and 14,000 returning users

5. Economics research with a university professor

  • Co-authored a paper studying the relationship between a major 1980s tax reform and U.S. income inequality

  • Used structural-break and placebo tests on a 17-country, 812-observation panel

  • Found that the 1981 break was partly global, with approximately 12% of the U.S. increase tied directly to the tax changes

  • Presented the paper to the supervising professor; currently under faculty review

6. Founder and co-president of my school’s Economics Olympiad Club

  • Grew the club from zero to more than 40 members

  • Registered 18 students for the National Economics Challenge

  • Lead weekly preparation sessions

  • Coached one team to the national semifinals

7. State chapter president for a national debate-access organization

  • Expanded the state chapter from five to more than 60 members, making it the organization’s third-largest chapter

  • Completed more than 60 verified volunteer hours supporting accessible debate opportunities and providing participant feedback

8. Founder and executive director of a high-school esports nonprofit

  • Founded a registered state nonprofit expanding access to free mobile-esports competition

  • Organized tournaments for 203 competitors

  • Grew the community to more than 450 members at its peak

9. Co-founder and lead web developer of a full-service marketing agency

  • Co-founded an agency providing web development and other marketing services to local small businesses

  • Led design-to-launch development for more than 10 client websites

  • Generated approximately $6,000 in revenue

10. Vice president and treasurer of my school’s cybersecurity club

  • Manage fees, communications, and recruitment for approximately 30 members and three CyberPatriot teams

  • Platinum national qualifier

  • Previously placed fifth in the Gold Division national semifinals

Awards/Honors

1. Two-time National Economics Challenge National Finalist

  • Adam Smith Division finalist in 2026

  • David Ricardo Division finalist in 2025

  • Top eight teams nationally in each division

2. Economics Olympiad award

  • USA Economics Olympiad Gold Medalist and Round 2 Invitational qualifier

3. Speech and Debate

  • Two-time NSDA National Tournament qualifier

  • Extemp Tournament of Champions qualifier

  • National Individual Events Tournament of Champions qualifier

  • NSDA Academic All-American, awarded to approximately the top 2%

  • Fifth place in International Extemporaneous Speaking at the highest-division state championship

4. Diamond Challenge International Finalist

  • International finalist in the Social Innovation Track

  • Selected from 940 teams worldwide

5. Two state Science Olympiad championships

  • First place out of 30 teams in Astronomy and Forensics

  • Two state gold medals

Other Information

Northwestern is my clear first choice.

I also know multiple students from my high school with near-perfect grades and somewhat greater course rigor who plan to apply ED to Northwestern as well.

ED:

  • Northwestern University, Economics

Possible ED2s:

  • Claremont McKenna College, Economics

  • NYU Stern BPE

Other schools:

  • Babson College

  • Brown University

  • UC Berkeley, Haas

  • UCLA, Business Economics

  • University of Colorado Boulder, Leeds

  • Duke University, Public Policy

  • Emory University, Goizueta

  • Georgetown University, McDonough

  • Indiana University, Kelley

  • University of Michigan, Ross

  • University of Notre Dame, Mendoza

  • University of Pennsylvania, Wharton

  • USC, Marshall

  • UT Austin, McCombs

  • Vanderbilt University, Human and Organizational Development

  • Washington University in St. Louis, Olin

What are my realistic chances at Northwestern ED and the rest of my list? How much will the 3.75 UW hurt despite the 1590, upward trend, and documented circumstances?

Congratulations on your achievements.

How many total B’s do you have in core courses (Eng, science, Soc Studies, Foreign lang, Math)? Anything lower than a B? Just to clarify, you had straight A’s in 10th and 11th?

If you had to guess, what decile rank are you in? What proportion of classmates do the full IBDP?

As far as your list goes, it’s reachy. I can’t chance you for NU, but would encourage you to cut back on the reaches. These will have a high number of supplements, and it’s difficult to do an A+ job on all these apps.

IU and Boulder are targets, what is your highly likely school that is also affordable? What is your college budget, or are you not applying for financial aid?

2 Likes

Northwestern ED admit rate is about 20% and they admit approx 50% of the class through ED. The RD admit rate is ≈ 5%. You have a much better chance of getting admitted through ED. Your SAT score of 1590 is almost perfect & in the top 25% while your 3.75 UW GPA is bottom 25%. According to data provided by NU in the Common Data Set, Rigor of secondary school record & Academic GPA are Very Important academic factors while Standardized Test Scores are Considered (two categories lower). All schools, however, are aiming to improve their overall class profile from year to year, so I think your SAT score may provide you with an admissions advantage.

I would apply to Northwestern ED & perhaps refine your Other schools list - dropping 5 or 6 schools you don’t really want to attend.

1 Like

Could you please list all of the courses you have taken in high school?

Have you taken a year long arts course?

Do you have an financial constraints or can your family fully fund all of these colleges…or are you eligible for need based aid?

1 Like

Budget was what I was going to ask. Hopefully all these are affordable.

The 4 in Pre Calc is a bit concerning.

If interested in business, why apply for Econ? Or vice versa?

In general, I think you have a good chance at Babson, CU will be a near sure thing with IU Kelley possible but they no longer have the auto qualifying.

The rest - I’d like to learn more.

Your ECs are very impressive. If you’re an entrepreneur, you might also look at #1 ranked by Princeton Review - U Houston, which is an automatic although the entrepreneurship program isn’t.

Good luck.

You have a typo in your title:

BAD GPA

should be spelled

good GPA

6 Likes

I think im top 20%. CU boulder is my in state affordable school. I have about 14 total b’s, with 8 coming from freshman year, 3 sophomore 3 junior.

I wish, but I go to grade inflation heaven where EVERYONE has 3.9+ gpas so idrk

These are all affordable, I really liked Northwestern, but honestly I’m not too interested in pursuing econ further.

All PIB, Honors, or Ap courses. No normal courses have been taken, and I have taken Digital Art & Design 1&2.

If you’re not interested in pursuing econ, then why would you love Northwestern?

I don’t see, with that many Bs, that you’d get in. But it also seems like with 14 Bs through 3 years, you’d have a 3.75. How many classes do you take a year?

If you have 14 classes or 42 through three years, with 28 As and 14 Bs, you’d be 3.67. If 12 classes a year, a 3.61.

Nonethelss, I don’t think Northwestern is worth an ED app. It wouldn’t hurt per se - the worst they can do is say no. One thing about the higher ED rate quoted by @maijem11 is - it includes athletes and other hooked students so it’s really not that high.

When I think Northwestern, I think USC and Syracuse. USC is not going to happen but Syracuse could, and the Whitman school is very good. I don’t know your budget but they have merit.

For entrepreneurship, I mentioned U Houston - but Babson could happen.

CU will happen but could be exploratory and then transfer into Leeds.

I don’t know why you’d apply to CMC, Brown, UCLA, Duke, Emory, or Vandy - why because they’re not business.

I don’t know your budget but if it’s not over $80K, etc, then I don’t see UCLA happening - and they won’t see your SAT (nor would a U Wash). But an ASU and U of A would be solid subs and both have very good business schools.

Instead of the Vandy, you could put in safety and very good for business U Denver (safe), Elon (safe), Miami (reach), Richmond (reach). For IU, an Ohio State would be a nice sub or UIUC - both targets with Pitt a safety.

I think you need to figure what you want in a school - and not just a name. Why spend four years studying something that doesn’t interest you. What area of business interests you - entrepreneurship, finance, marketing, etc? Is there an end goal?

But I’m confused on your GPA (perhaps there’s an explanation) and the 4 in pre calc gives me pause.

But you are a stud outside the classroom - and that will matter more than anything else.

To be honest the campus kind of clicked with me. I took a lot and I mean a LOT of courses after freshman year. multiple online, multiple DE, so many in school that I didn’t have a lunch period for multiple years. It was a lot. What do you think I should look for that matches prestige and finance regardless of budget? Ideally I would want to aim a little higher than Syracuse, but if NU is impossible I completely understand that.

Then why apply? If you don’t want to study econ that’s great you know that. Pick schools that offer business majors if that’s what you want to study.

It’s important you let us know if you have budget constraints, that drives the list unless you are full pay/not applying for financial aid.

I don’t see the reaches on your list happening with 14 B’s. Let’s simply call schools with less than 20% acceptance rates as reaches, which is all your schools except Boulder and IU. Pick 5 reaches max and do a great job on the apps.

What are your 3 UC GPAs? GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

I agree with tsbna you should build out your list with schools of higher acceptance rates. I can’t recommend schools until I know your budget and what you are looking for. Your current list is built on prestige and contains LACs to large colleges, so it’s difficult to understand what you are looking for. It’s not often that CMC and IU Kelley are on the same list.

As for Boulder being affordable, that’s great, but I don’t see Leeds as highly likely, unless your school has a pipeline there. Are you comfortable starting in Exploratory Studies and then transferring to Leeds? Regardless, I defer to what your HS counselor says…have you spoken with them about your chances at Leeds and your overall list?

Note that you should get your app in for EA wherever the schools has that round, so Boulder, IU, and any of the reaches that stay on your list.

2 Likes

14 "B"s is a lot of "B"s. Are “A”, “B”, or “C” grades more commonly awarded at your high school? This will matter when schools interpret your transcript while evaluating the high school profile. Although you faced extenuating circumstances during 9th grade which extended through 10th, you still received three "B"s junior year. Seems fairly consistent. I would still apply to Northwestern ED nonetheless, if it’s your top choice. It’s only impossible if you don’t apply, but more unlikely to gain acceptance with a < 3.8 GPA & 14 "B"s. Another applicant with a SAT composite of 1590 but with a 4.0 GPA is much more likely to win. Do keep in-state options like CU Boulder & other “safeties” on your list.

Nothing is impossible if you don’t try.

Prestige is a word - it means little per se.

I’d say this - major over school. You think you’d love Northwestern but you’d be studying something for four years that doesn’t interest you. So it clicks with you - but what does that mean if you’d be miserable in what you are studying? I have news for you - all schools have issues - bad roomies, bad food, bad profs, etc. There is no dream school - sorry - but there’s many schools that will be great for you and many not.

I gave you many names above.

In the end, you can apply to whatever schools you want - if you can handle rejection. You need only one, but preferably two to three that are 1) affordable - you haven’t given a budget and 2) you can get in. So if you want to go big and give only prolific names a try, then that’s what you should do.

You also still haven’t said what area of business you are interested in.

Take your shots - but why take a shot and every day have to study something you aren’t interested in? If you said IS, I’d say Arizona. If you said accounting, I might say Bentley. If you’re unsure, then an IU or Ohio State - which is a reasonable sub for IU - not to mention CU Leeds where you’re certainly not assured (but I imagine would at least get Exploratory as noted above).

There are many prominent B schools, including Leeds and Daniels - but perhaps because you are local, you get a different perception - as many locals often do.

Anyway, I gave you a boat load of names above. If I said American U or Brandeis, would that help? Richmond as a reach and Bucknell as a low reach - very prestigious but is either right for you? But they are more realistic than most of you list - but outstanding.

But they are names - and once you step foot on campus, the experience takes over from the name.

So build your list the right way - not based on I clicked on campus. Do you really think that’s the only school you’d click with?

The reality is - you’re unlikely - and if you believe the CDS, the SAT is - of lesser importance there - although these aren’t always right. But they want to see your day to day - rigor and grades.

Your ECs are impressive though - and that is in the most important category to them - and I think you’ve done so much - that I’m betting on you, regarding if you end up at Leeds or Wharton, etc. You’ve done more as a high schooler than many ever will do - but if entrepreneurship is your thing, check out Babson and U Houston - to help you launch if you plan to do your own thing.

I don’t normally try to estimate chances, but I’ll throw in my two cents. I’d eliminate Brown, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, UPenn, UT Austin, Vandy.

I’d keep the ED2s. ED1 Northwestern is worth a shot, albeit unlikely. The caution, as mentioned by the others, is major. Think about what you want to study and whether the coursework is offered - there is a Kellogg certificate that, as I understand, involves admission to the program. I don’t know how many traditional business courses (like accounting and finance) are offered, though you could check the course catalog. Those would be the primary areas I might wonder about for NU. Econ has a reputation for being a challenging major there. If there was any other major offered by NU that may be appealing, it’s quite easy to switch.

I will go out on a limb and say that I think 3.7/1590 in-state is quite likely a direct admit to Leeds, from what I know about in-state admission. That is not to say safety, more like very low target, though everyone agrees that Exploratory Studies is certainly safe, and internal transfer into Leeds is unlikely to present a significant obstacle for you. You can ask your high school counselor if they might have any data from the high school on direct admit to Leeds.

I’d think about whether any other targets might be appealing. I’d browse the P&Q list of undergrad business programs to see what’s around or better than Leeds and might be within admission shooting distance for your stats.

1 Like

Is there better than Leeds? Well relatively better - their stats are pretty outstanding and they have an 83% knowledge rate - very good.

They don’t break out by major - but just because a school is ranked higher (like an IU Kelley) doesn’t mean their outcomes are better. Look at them and marketing - Alabama Culverhouse grads earn more.

Of course, some with CU may be cost of living - Denver ain’t cheap and a majority of their grads seem to be there, followed by CA - and it makes sense as Denver is booming.

If I were OP, I wouldn’t dismiss Leeds. Ranking use criteria that works for them and typically not job outcomes. US News - as it is - for majors, is a popularity contest. They ask Deans - who is most respected. Well, who isn’t going to say UPenn or Michigan - regardless of what other schools have done in the meantime. Yes, it’s one people look at - but it doesn’t mean in reality - it’s the only one to follow. Most schools, like IU and CU, will put out great successes, and many that don’t do well in their careers.

Bottom line - Leeds is a fine school and clearly placing people and at great salaries - comparable to others although they don’t list averages. So if you end up there, there is definitely no shame.

Before you click on Leeds, here are IU Kelley’s salaries - you have to do a little imagination since CU lays it out differently, but on first glance, is it even different??

IU has a slightly lower knowledge rate - 76%.

Career Outcomes | Leeds School of Business | University of Colorado Boulder

Nothing wrong with Leeds. I would simply be thinking about having more options to choose from in spring, if all the reaches wash out. Feels like there could be more targets.

Agreed - but OP, like many in-state kids no matter where they live, is seemingly diminishing it. They should also look at very good U Denver. My daughter’s bf has a great outcome.

I think they’ll find more “targets” and “safeties” are more alike than not. That’s what I was trying to show OP.

But if they want that big name - that’s where a Richmond type may come in. It may not be big to OP - but it’s big in the East and I see many students not quite at the top tier will have it as their reach. It would be reasonable for this student…or maybe an SMU Cox or Penn State Smeal, etc. Not targets but reaches IMHO.

Here’s UMD Smith - another well respected name and I’d say low reach for OP. From a Median POV, I’m guessing very similar to Leeds.

Hope they end up where they want (not NU but a school where they can study what they want) and have a great experience - but if it ends up Leeds, I’d say they’ve done extremely well!!

I was also thinking of SMU for a reach. Targets, U Rochester, Purdue, TCU (probably low target), Santa Clara. Depends on what they are looking for in a school.

1 Like