Living at home while attending college is a very different experience from attending college while residing on-campus. It is likely to have significant impacts on the social aspect of college. Is that an experience you want? If not, then I would not apply to Drexel if that is the only path to affordability.
If accepted, you would receive a 50% discount on tuition in SY27-28, and you would have no tuition in SY28-29 and afterwards. The same comments about living with family (who I assume are not college-aged students living in an environment surrounded by other college-aged students) applies as with living at home from above.
Are there any schools on your list (in the target section or otherwise) where you would not be happy to send in your deposit by May 1 of your senior and then look forward to spending four years at the school? If there are any schools where you think you would feel reluctance or disappointment at enrolling, take those schools off the list, whether they are in the reach or target section. If there are schools in your safety category that you would be disappointed to attend, and if that number falls below two, then I would recommend finding alternative safeties.
I think that list length is pretty good, actually, if you like all of them. Target schools aren’t “safety” so you don’t know how many of them will admit you.
If you like Pitt better than the ones below it on your target list, you may be able to drop some applications from the list if you get Pitt’s admission early enough. For UMD if you do apply, be sure to apply by the EA deadline though. (And be sure to get EVERYTHING to UMD by that deadline.)
I always caution my kids to do the broader major. Not the narrower one. Mech is better than motor sports. CS is better than AI. Business is better than a Batchelors in Supply Chain Management (if such a thing exists). Picking a narrow field has a significant career risk over the long term.
True, and also note that Cooper Union school (at least engineering classes) are all in one building (the build team is even in the basement) and a very different experience overall….and the “vibe” of students is VERY different than Purdue or PSU etc. It is extremely liberal, many grew up in NYC, and more artsy, etc. I can’t think of a more different experience than from some of your other schools. A number of students live at home, or an hour away, to save on rent, very much not a traditional college experience. I personally think it is VERY, VERY, cool, but not for everyone. I just can’t see someone thriving at Ohio State and Cooper Union myself.
I am including Cooper Union for the cost and location. My uncle attended and has told me a lot about it. I grew up in the burbs but literally right on the Philly border and am in the city all the time so I feel like I wouldn’t have a problem relating. I am pretty laid back and don’t really have a type of group that I need to be friends with. But I will definitely visit once the school year starts back up.
Thank you, everyone, for all your insight. This was harder to do than expected because every college looked good on the websites! I didn’t have time to visit too many places, so it may come down to seeing where I get in and planning visits then.
Great background - I think cost is your issue. It sounds like you won’t get aid - so here’s what I’m thinking:
Penn State doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for - but if you’re applying there, then apply to WVU, which has an ecoCAR team and places well in automotive.
UNCC was the first school I thought of based on your near a city. Make sure you apply for the Levine scholarship.
I see Cornell, Ga Tech, UIUC, CLemson, UCONN, Oregon State, and UMD as a waste of your time - dream school idea or not, why waste your time? Same with Northeastern.
Uconn, Ohio State, Case Western, and RIT may hit - so they are may. I’d also put UK, Cincy, and Drexel.UAH will crush the budget.
II’d say your list is too long.
Others to look at -
Miss State - but may not meet your environment
WVU - as noted
For cars, I’d pick Bama over UAH.
Michigan State
But overall, your list is way too long - and too full of schools with no chance. The odds of getting significant outside money for four years is slim to none.
My list is now considerably shorter after I started working on some applications and realized how much time the supplemental essays were going to take . I submitted my Pitt (in-state) application in very early August and am hoping to hear back soon. I can probably cut a bunch of schools off the list if I am accepted. I liked the school and city, and their FSAE team has been doing well the past few years.