I’m a white male from a rich white town. Biggest flaw of the application right there.
I go to public school and I will be applying as a biochemistry premed.
GPA: 4.33W, 3.9 UW (my school does UW weird)
SAT: 1540 (760 ERW, 780 Math)
8 AP Classes: AP Phys 1, AP Phys 2, AP Chem, APUSH, AP Calc AB, AP Bio, APES, AP Gov
I had my counselor emphasize that I went from a 4.1 freshman year to a 4.38 sophomore year, and a 4.5 junior year (I have a 4.84 right now) in her letter of rec.
- Captain of school science bowl team
- Founder and President of a school recycling club that also raised money for a local food bank
- Senior member of my town's youth government
- 700+ assorted hours of volunteering with children
- I've been volunteering monthly at my church since 4th grade
- Member of NHS and Science Science Honor Society but that's a participation award
- I was just about to start volunteering at a hospital before COVID-19 hit
- Track Team freshman and sophomore year. (COVID again)
- National Merit Semifinalist (226 raw)
- Received 2nd place out of a 54 school competition in the Galvanic Cell Car division at the Northeast Regional Science Bowl
I have no other awards lol
My essay is about how my grandfather and uncle were both killed in completely different situations as a result of big pharma. My uncle’s doctor had been given incentives to prescribe painkillers, eventually resulting in my uncle overdosing on OxyContin that he had been given for a back injury. My grandfather died after he experienced a side effect that was known to occur in some patients by the drug company yet was unlisted on his cancer medication. I’m relating it to my goals to one day be a doctor and the ethics of fast-tracking the COVID-19 vaccine.
My teacher recommendations will be amazing because I really got to know one of the teachers and he was my track coach, chemistry teacher, and was heavily involved with running the club that I founded.
Do I have a good shot at UNC Chapel Hill, Georgia Tech, Boston University, and Cornell?
I’m not even going to ask about Stanford or Princeton because I know that’s a really small chance no matter what.