Community Transfer to a University In Britain

Hi there! I apologize for this being long lol.

Recently, with all the college preparation I have been doing as a student apart of the class of 2021, I have gone through the many options I have for my future.

I have applied to many universities in the US and gotten into a majority of them so far, I am waiting on others. Though studying in the US would be fun and interesting, I’ve always wanted to study in Britain. I was thinking, as another option, to attend a community college, then transfer to a university over there. I should mention my major is nursing. I would like to be a Labor and Delivery nurse.

I have tried to do research on this option, but the information I read was just plain confusing and contradicting. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this topic. If it is possible for me to do 2 years of community college here in California, and then transfer abroad. I would love ANY feedback. tysm!

You can’t transfer in the sense that you could carry credit over from your US classes. You could use a year at CC instead of having AP scores in order to get into the first year at a UK university.

But I’m not sure if it will be practical for nursing. If you intend to return to the US to work, for instance, you run into the problem that UK nursing degrees specialise in types of nursing, eg midwifery, and to get licensed in the US you need a broader base.

Are you thinking of moving abroad permanently to work in the UK after your degree? You won’t be eligible for an NHS funded bursary - you will have to pay full international fees. Do you have British or Irish citizenship? (A qualified nurse could fairly easily get a work visa, to be fair.)

1 Like


Yes, I am planning on moving abroad permanently after I get my degree. And what is the NHS-funded bursary? I also do not have British or Irish citizenship, but I have Trinidad citizenship, though I live in the states. I have heard a visa should not be that hard to obtain since I am a Caribbean citizen, but idk.

Well, that makes things easier. Your Commonwealth citizenship unfortunately won’t give you an easier way to a visa, but as I said, nurses are in demand so the chances are once qualified you can get a work visa. It might be worth emailing the departments you’re considering applying to for advice re the likelihood of being able to work here post qualification. Some general info here: Information for overseas midwives | Health Careers

(The NHS bursary basically is financial aid but apparently it no longer applies for nursing anyway. You’ll need to be able to pay full international fees.)

1 Like

The NHS controls Nursing in the UK so it’s not easy to get admitted to a Nursing program as an international.
In addition, you wouldn’t be qualified to work in the US and you’d lose your CC credits (since nothing transfers to the UK).
Finally, can you afford international fees in thr UK?

What about nursing in Canada?
You could attend a college like Dawson or John Abbott in Quebec, it’s in English but in a French speaking city that’s great for students.

wait. are you saying that even if I go to a cc in California, none of the pre-requisite courses will transfer to a university abroad?

Not in the UK, no. You start over. Period. Transferring isn’t really a thing in the UK.

That’s right. The CC classes might qualify you to get in in the first places, if you don’t have suitable AP scores from HS, but they won’t count towards the degree at all and you’d need to start in the first year.

Yes. CC courses would only serve as qualifying results allowing you to skip a costly Foundation Year.
And then because the qualifying boards for nursing are national, the NHS wouldn’t certify you to be a nurse in the US.
(It’s a huge hassle for internationally trained, international nurses who need to get the new certification along with the proper papers. It’s always best to train in the country/state where you want to practice.)
That’s why, if you want to live in a different culture, I recommend you look into nursing at Dawson and John Abbott.
Different culture, bilingual, easier to transfer and get recognized.

Or maybe look at doing year abroad in the UK?

Okay, thank you! I have discussed all the options with my parents and we decided that me doing one year of community college would be best. Then using those courses as grades or what not to apply to universities over there. It’s the only option that allied most with what I want, and that way I won’t be graduating a year later, but stay on course to graduate with the class of '25. Since school over there is 3 years as compared to the U.S which is four. So now it’s really trying to figure out what courses to take in CC that will help me at a University over there.

This. You need to find a course that will accept you even though you are not eligible for UK/EU fees- some (such as Bristol & Chester) don’t. I think Oxford Brooks does, and Manchester Metropolitan. Remember that the Scottish Unis are 4 years, not 3.