Compare Duke [$10k], Northwestern [$7.8k], CMU [$3.8k], Boston U [$7.4k] for music & public policy [no parent contribution]

As far as weather (which is what you mentioned) Duke is definitely as Southern as anywhere in Tennessee. As far as student body, they come from all over the place, many from the Northeast and elsewhere, but North Carolina is the top home state.

CMU sounds like an excellent choice, too.

1 Like

The above is correct. 10% acceptance rate. Only Curtis & Julliard have a lower rate of acceptance. And, maybe, a conservatory in Los Angeles has a bit lower acceptance rate.

My stepmom was a professional musician - it does happen. (She played the violin)

1 Like

Well you won’t be a professional musician if you don’t try.

Everyone says no one becomes a professional athlete, and I believed that. And now with hindsight, if my son had taken a different path (one that necessitated believing a pro career was possible), he absolutely could have gone pro. No real regrets, because the life of a non-superstar pro athlete isn’t easy. However, you have to believe something is possible for it to become a reality.

9 Likes

I know a ton of professional musicians although most are rock musicians (supporting themselves exclusively through their music with no “day jobs”) and not classical musicians, but I do have a friend whose brother-in-law is a symphony professional. I think he plays the trumpet. Have another friend whose dad was a professor of trumpet at a university. No reason not to give it your best. People do make a living out of it and it might be you!

2 Likes

I recently saw KC and the Sunshine Band. If you get the chance, it’s two hours of bliss.
With a stage team of 15 musicians and dancers, I was reading bios. One trumpeter, I believe, teaches at FIU as an instructor. I assume, but don’t know full time. So yes, a living can happen.

On the other hand, the singer who has the Grace Slick role in Starship - also two hours of joy and the entire band is great with the lead guitarist in Foreigner too - on Facebook she posted a go fund me so she could have the funds to put down her cat. She also posted from orientation for being a Titans (NFL) customers service person and she teaches ice skating. Plus she performs at Kid Rock’s bar. I love that people pursue the dream. Love it. And they bring so much joy to many.

Interestingly the guy who opened for Starship, AJ Raggs, is a CMU grad (I think opera) but plays pop. He had a go fund me so he could participate at an event in NYC.

But I imagine backup or unknown musicians are paid by the show, and they’ve got to work very hard to keep that dream alive. I’m so glad many of them choose to do so!!

1 Like

Academic jobs are in decline for arts and humanities. Some symphony orchestras are struggling. Our city paper has even ended the classical music critic column. I know working musicians: lots of travel, not always a lot of money, but apparently fulfilling. I haven’t heard complaints about all the years of training, from most anyway. That said, nothing wrong with a day job.

1 Like

I’m just telling you I know many people who are working musicians who own their own homes, eat well, pay for their own insurance, and live a comfortable life.They are not superstars, but live a comfortable middle class existence. I know more than that who do music on the side and have other jobs, which works well for them too.

4 Likes

I assume you sent a letter of continued interest to Vanderbilt since you said it was a top choice? Their waitlist moves more than similar universities, so that may become another option. It sounds like you have some wonderful choices even without it.

1 Like

This is a huge, huge deal for you, isn’t it? I was leaning towards CMU until I read this.

Can you do the CMU NPC with next year’s information (no sibling in college etc)

1 Like

I agree - because we don’t know if this student will have a year two or three otherwise.

The concern though, is, they are in for voice but not viola.

Obviously a very talented student.

1 Like

I will say that many people who REALLY want to do music professionally make it happen. It may not fit your perception of being a successful professional musician and it is absolutely a tough career and lifestyle, but there are so many opportunities to do music in various capacities as a professional even if it’s not a full-time orchestra job. I am a very good musician and my growth has been exponential over the past few months and years, and even if I don’t “make it” in someone else’s view, I’m not going to give up something I’m passionate about and talented at just because it’s hard. No one would ever do anything incredible if they stopped when they were told it was highly unlikely, so I’m going to go for it in whatever capacity I feel like is best to reach my goals.

7 Likes

Yes, I am working on my LOCI and will send it soon! Vanderbilt does take a lot of waitlisted students, but it’s still highly unlikely; I’m not holding out hope, but if I do by some miracle get in I would probably attend.

Yes, it is a very big deal and one of the main reasons BU is still close to the top of the pack. I talked to CMU financial aid and they said they did not consider siblings in college in their calculations, so it would likely be a similar price in years even after he graduates. Northwestern also said that even though they consider siblings in college, based on my information it would not have a significant impact when he graduates. I’m still waiting to talk to Duke financial aid but so far it’s looking like hopefully my brother’s graduation will not have as extreme an impact as I originally thought based on the NPC.

1 Like

I am sending a recorded audition to the viola faculty this week, so if I get in for viola and like the professors then BU will probably become a very strong contender. FA also told me to appeal my offer because they don’t use IDOC, so they didn’t have any records of very significant medical expenses that my family has had. If that gets approved, then that would really help my 4-year cost since they don’t reevaluate each year.

2 Likes

As the parent of a recent music grad and budding professional musician I applaud you!

:clap::clap::clap:

6 Likes

Why not go to Duke undergrad, have a great experience in Durham (go blue devils!), then apply to Bienen for grad school? Sounds like a winning combo.

1 Like

Okay then, I would go for CMU.

OP likely does not have the money for a master’s degree, which tend to be stingy with financial aid. If they’re in at Bienen, they should take the bird in the hand.

2 Likes

OP is not in at Bienen, and won’t know if that’s an option until post May 1. If OP takes the risk they get into Bienen in a year or whatever, that will likely extend the time they are in school to more than four years.

I would also lean CMU at this point, but OP is sending a recorded audition to BU, which could change things if they are accepted.

4 Likes

Hear, hear! Parent of a senior continuing on to a post grad, 4 year training program, tuition free, plus a stipend (non academic degree). Keep doing what you love!

2 Likes