Hey all! Hoping to get some advice on my college decisions. I’m currently struggling to choose between Cornell and Rice for computer science. Cornell obviously has a stronger reputation in the industry, but I don’t know how significant that is since I’ve also heard of many Rice graduates doing great things. On the other hand, I think I would enjoy Rice’s college environment a bit more. Here are some of my considerations:
- I’m a hard worker and fairly independent, but I’m also a bit nervous about Cornell’s reputation for having an extremely intense environment and occasionally toxic culture.
- Rice’s deep sense of community really appeals to me. How tightly knit does Cornell’s student body tend to be?
- Looking to land a job in Silicon Valley post-graduation. Does Rice have strong enough connections to these companies? How strong is Rice’s reputation in general compared to that of Cornell?
- I’ve heard that Rice’s CS course offerings may be a little restrictive due to the small class size. Is this true?
- I also plan on eventually going to grad school. Which one would be better here?
- I’m from Minnesota, so not too worried about the weather in Ithaca.
It would be great if I could get some input on these two choices and which one might be better for my situation, especially from alumni from either of these schools. Let me know if you need any more information about me to form an opinion of where I’d be better off at. Thanks so much in advance!