Are any of you struggling with your spouses being at a different place about all of this than you are? My dh isn’t being crazy, and he is washing his hands, etc. I just think we should only go out for things that are absolutely necessary. His viewpoint is different. Not sure what good it does for me to hole up if dh won’t. He’s headed over to our local pub to watch their annual cabbage bowling event. At least it is outside.
@Hoggirl my husband too!
@rosered55, If I were you I’d suggest the department do a Zoom meeting for anyone who wants to join that way.
H and I are in sync in staying in place.
I’m going to pick up Mexican for dinner from a local place.
One of my kids booked a trip last weekend, his wife is being stubborn about canceling. I’m trying (and failing) to try any means to make my son understand the gravity of this situation.
I texted the kids last night not to forget about their grandparents. I also texted my niece about calling my mom, but heard nada from her. My kids are both doing ok, although neither of their workplaces have them working from home.
So I refilled my 2 Oz Purell with the 10 Oz one I have at home but must of dropped it out of my pocket at the supermarket last night. Agh… Well someone might be happy if they found it… Gotta get another small bottle to refill.
Went to my bagel place and people where there. They were wearing plastic gloves but they alway do but then take those off to get napkins and put them in the bags for the bagels then go to the register and hand you the money… Can’t believe I really notice this stuff now… But gotta have my onion bagel with lox spread.
At the CVS this morning they had Zinc tabs but I am impressed. They practiced social distancing at the cash register and asked people to stand a few feet apart. I am good with that.
I wish I’d bought more girl scout cookies. We are down to our last box.
For people who have trouble not shaking someone’s hand if they stick it out, please don’t hesitate not to. I have been a germ-a-phob for years and I never, ever will shake a provider’s hand when at a well visit, sick visit, or hospital. I simply smile and say, “I don’t shake. I’m a germ-a-phob.” In this instance you can smile, keep your hand to yourself and say, “thank you but social distancing.”
Schools in Saratoga County NY are shutting down until April 20th. I’m glad to see this. I think surrounding counties will be doing the same. Now Governor Cuomo needs to shut down the NYC and downstate schools. Shame on him for not doing so already. It is also time to tell the cafeteria staff to stay home. Lunch lady’s live matter too!
In Rhode Island we have a state of emergency and all public schools and colleges are closed.
Went to lunch today and the restaurant was pretty packed. And everyone displayed good social distancing techniques.
It did seem like more people were having wine and a few margaritas. Maybe stress relief.
Just found a flyer on the doorstep - Bike Riding Service. A neighborhood kid (don’t know him) is offering to bike to the local upscale grocery (Jensen’s, for those who know it) or Subway and bring back what will fit in a small backpack. It’s free, only the cost of the items, although I’m sure he’s hoping for tips. “We want to give back to our community, not a profit service, just wanted to help.” Signed “Just an 11-year-old neighbor looking for something to do!”
It’s a very nice offer and I appreciate him wanting to be useful instead of just goofing off. Unfortunately we stocked up Wednesday morning and don’t shop at the overpriced albeit very nice Jensen’s anyway. The Subway offer is tempting…
I wonder if he only dropped it at the “elderly” neighbors - we’re 68.
^^^what a great kid! I wish I could “like” it 20 times.
I have been at one store or another every day this week, which is highly unusual for me. Usually when I run out of something I just add it to my list and make due until my next shopping trip. With all the panic buying and reading how every store is out of this and that, I can’t be sure the item I need is going to be available, so I talk myself into going out and getting it (instead of waiting).
The bright side is that I found a 60 oz. container of hand sanitizer (that I forgot I had) right where my standby/next-up bottle dishwashing soap should have been.
Suprisingly, my favorite grocery store still has everything (except hand sanitizer). There were a lot of people and very long lines, but toilet paper, disinfecting wipes, wet wipes, bread, milk, eggs, pasta, etc. etc. were all still in stock, although the shelves were definitely thinning. The store was a mess, though. There were pallets in some of the aisles, which customers would ordinarily never see, so they are obviously working hard to restock as quickly as they can.
Our state’s math competition was canceled, and it wasn’t scheduled until May. DD and her teammates all commiserated by text.
Has anyone made a pie today? I rarely make pies but wanted to do so for the “holiday.” Then I realized I don’t have any ingredients for a pie’s filling. I considered making only a crust but probably won’t do so.
My spouse thinks I’ve been way overboard on prep and planning, since I’ve been getting ready ever since TatinG started the thread back in Jan. He thought I was really, really overboard when I told him mid Feb, we should quit going to any social gatherings so as to be as germ free as possible if grandchildren needed caregivers. (our main social circle includes lots and lots of international travelers, including those recently returned from China) Then a few days ago my DIL called, almost in hysterics, wanting to be sure I’d be available if needed and was so very reassured to hear how careful I’d been. She’s making backup plans for backup plans. (I was like that as a young mother, too, so really get it)
We began to get real serious about what I’m referring to as a staycation on Monday afternoon, and haven’t left our property since. Before that we hadn’t been out much at all for three weeks, only really to prep for the staycation. I kept thinking: Oh! I need just one more thing! Finally just had to put a period on it and sit tight. This morning I woke up wondering, “do we have enough cash on-hand if we have to travel to the grandchildren? Maybe we need to go to the bank?” Then just firmly told myself “no-- just stay put”
One child and SO waited too long to shop and called to ask if I’d ship them some of our extra tp if they run out. I said “sure” and hope UPS will do a pick-up off my front porch if needed, cause I’m not going to the PO anytime in the foreseeable future.
Having completed the prep, now my energy is basically directed at keeping our kids and their partners as calm as possible. As of early last week all of them were working from home and supposedly self-isolating. When one of them calls me freaking out, I direct them to call the calmest one to see what they think about the situation. So far, so good.
We are off to get frozen cherries for a pie! 
Just back from my local grocery store. They had milk and butter and fresh fruit and vegetables. But they were pretty much sold of meat and non-perishables. The bigger stores are reported to have lots more empty shelves. This store is on a back street and seems to be used more as a TV and movie location shoot than an actual store.
But…as I’m standing in line the woman in front of me sees a friend walk in and rushes to give her a big hug. Ugh. People are just not getting what ‘no touching each other’ means.
I didn’t make a pie today but I have one. I volunteered to bring pie for S23’s Pi Day celebration. Thanks to Covid-19, the celebration got cancelled and now I have a huge Costco pie in my fridge. I know what we’ll be having for dessert all week.
Maybe a savory pie? Quiche, pot pie?
I decided to do my shopping at an inner city store, versus a suburban store. My thinking is that most cases are still travel related. That idea also came into play when I decided to drive downtown for early voting versus waiting until Tuesday for the regular voting in my area. I find myself overthinking everything.
Hmmm…I need to bake a pie!!
Drove by Kirkland (“Signature”) Costco. Plenty of open parking… must be less busy than usual today. 