Coronavirus: What are You doing ( if anything) to prepare/ What are you personally observing?

Since COVID-19 will likely be a risk for many months or years, a delay of rescheduling to avoid COVID-19 will increase the risk that the cavity will become more serious.

@rosered55, I’m in the county adjacent to Santa Clara and Stanford is 20 minutes from my house. If your daughter needs anything, I’m happy to help.

I would still go to PT if you are really only interacting with your PT and the place is clean. Just to the hand washing and not touching your face. Let’s face it- all we can really do is limit the risk as best we can, but it can’t be totally eliminated. I get the mail out of my mailbox. Someone has touched it.

My view of this pandemic is a little influenced (and I’m not sure exactly how it’s influenced) by the fact that both my parents got polio when they were 19 back in the 1940s. My mother almost died (but didn’t) but was handicapped (they called it crippled back then) for life. She used one cane, then as she aged 2 canes, then a wheelchair. She achieved a lot, graduating first in her class at Penn. My father’s case wasn’t quite as severe, but he had to leave West Point, which was a disappointment from which he never recovered, despite tremendous academic and professional success in his life. I am taking the current situation very seriously, but I am also grateful for the medical advancements, communication tools and technology that is available today that was not there for my parents.

My older daughter just announced that the bar in Manhattan where she is a server has shut down. She is happy about it.

I know it is hard but please try not to have kids interact in small friend groups in person - let them do it online. I saw a girl at the grocery store checking out items, touch her lips and then continue checking out all items. She would have touched hundreds of items going into homes. I wiped down my items but most people would not have.

Thank you MomofWildChild The story of your parents is really something. I’m sorry they had that experience.

My family all has asthma. I’m still having a flare of it right now and my lungs don’t feel 100% yet after having had the flu very recently. I have a slightly lower than normal immune system due to a genetic condition. All that makes me take this thing very seriously. Also, watching what happened in China on Chinese media and Chinese social media makes me take it super seriously.

Those here who are not in areas where you have school closings yet, I think you might find that things change quite a lot once that starts in your area and people’s view of things will change a lot, too. The stores went bonkers when the school closings started. People who were not taking any precautions are now home and self-isolating. If you don’t have it in you area and haven’t bought any supplies, you might want to get some essentials so you can get by for 2 weeks.

If I had a cavity or other thing that needed medical attention, I’d be going to get it fixed asap rather than waiting because I think this will only increase through about July/Aug and then start going down after that. But I’d consult with your doctor about that type of thing.

Online is ideal, but not always possible if parents have to work. At someone’s home is ideal. Keeping the group essentially the same and limiting interaction is paramount.

I bumped the Passover thread if people want to discuss holiday plans separately from general coronavirus conditions. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/2177368-passover-recipes-2020.html#latest

@deb922 there are several suspected cases at Munsen. I don’t know if that’s public information or not.

Our dentist cancelled my D’s cleaning.

I emailed a friend I meet monthly for lunch and suggested we possibly schedule a “virtual lunch” instead. We can do that by phone. It’s possible that the restaurants will be closed anyway.

But that led me to thinking…Since I plan to work from home (made my own decision, I’m almost 63 and had pneumonia a few years ago), I will make a point of checking in with my co workers just to “coffee chat”. Virtually of course. I have several phone #'s or I’ll use my work Skype.

With phones and internet there is no reason we can’t all do these virtual meet ups - lunch, coffee, happy hour.

My team had a virtual happy hour on Friday. It was pretty fun - everybody had to turn on their webcam, dress casual, and bring a drink if desired. It was good to see everybody and just chill (virtually) for a while.

Social distancing does not have to equal spiritual distancing: Rabbi David Ingler on MSNBC.

So my 55 year old neighbor that had a double lung transplant like a year ago is walking down the street with a mask on just to get out for a few. After talking she is offering my family masks if we need them… Of course we said no but told her if we run out of toliet paper we are coming over ???

Had a virtual happy hour with family last night.

My niece in nyc just lost her waitressing position and nanny position in the same day. She is not happy. She’s devastated. A young actress with no income.

My daughter, who goes to a state university locally that is converting to online classes after spring break, works for a before and after care program at a public elementary school. I was excited because schools here are closing for at least two weeks. But then came the news that the local health department has allowed daycares and after-school programs to stay open, so she still has to go to work, and hopefully not bring germs back home to me.

My lad’s GF just picked up a job watching kids for a family in his area now that they finally closed schools. She’s going to be making more than she was before.

Figured I’d toss the idea in in case anyone needs to figure out what they might be able to do now.