current student having an $8,000 problem with red tape in engineering advising!

<p>I’m currently a freshman. At my orientation over the summer, I wanted to add engineering as a double major, and was directed to a guy who said via email he would run that through the system. He never did, so nearing the end of the summer I reminded him and he finally did it on September 4th. I had my schedule set out, so I didn’t go to a major change workshop, since no one told me that I had to go to either the one on the 5th or the 11th. So I had to wait until January. I met with advisors, showed them the engineering courses I was planning on taking, and no one mentioned anything. However, now the woman in charge of transfer admissions is trying to tell me that that was an option only for incoming freshmen, and I’ll have to meet the requirements all the other internal transfers meet now, which will take an extra semester.</p>

<p>I’ve been emailing back and forth, and it’s like she isn’t even reading my emails. I had to send her an email to remind her to respond to one of mine, and she offers solutions that ignore the fact that I had just said that that wouldn’t be possible because of something or other.</p>

<p>I had planned around engineering courses I was going to add (because the major change workshops are on the 20th to the 23rd of this month), but now I’ll only have 13 credits. I had planned on 20 this semester to meet my rigorous double major requirements.</p>

<p>There are no courses I can add. They are either filled or would require me to drop classes I’m in. If I can’t get into engineering, I will have to stay an extra semester past the 4.5 years I was planning, which is an extra $8,000 I can’t really afford.</p>

<p>I have tried explaining this to her via email, but she doesn’t seem to care, and I really need to get into these engineering-only classes.</p>

<p>Is there any way/anyone to whom I could go above her head? Is there anything I can do? I’m going out of my mind here because I might have to pay such a hefty sum for a mistake I didn’t even know I was making when I didn’t rush to a major change workshop right after I had gotten approved.</p>

<p>Thanks for any and all help.</p>

<p>I’d go, in person, and ask for an appointment with this guy: [University</a> of Maryland A. James Clark School of Engineering: About Us: From the Dean](<a href=“http://www.eng.umd.edu/aboutus/aboutus_from-dean.html]University”>http://www.eng.umd.edu/aboutus/aboutus_from-dean.html). Explain the situation and see what he can do.</p>