Dead Cat

<p>A can has passed away in front of my house. It doesn't appear to have been hit by a car or anything like that. I have to dispose of it now. Does anyone have any advice for the proper way to do this?</p>

<p>Oh good lord!</p>

<p>Maybe get a shovel and shovel it into a trash bag and put the trash bag in the bin? I wouldn't bury it for fear that something would dig it up...</p>

<p>I am getting a kick out of this only because I was just catsitting for a very elderly cat - the family joked with me before they left that they hoped he didn't die while they were gone! Thank god he didn't or I would be in your situation!</p>

<p>The little kids next door just saw it and are screaming and howling. I have no reason to believe it's their cat (I've never seen it before), but now I wonder.</p>

<p>Can you call animal control?</p>

<p>zm, oh that's horrible! I'd call the Humane Society or Animal Control or some other agency handling animal issues and ask for their suggestion.</p>

<p>I'm not sure if we have that here. Usually Sanitation picks up the deceased, but since it's Sunday, they don't pick up. I'm going to call and see what I can find out. I'm a little flummoxed because what if it is the kids' next door? Should I still do something or is it better for their parents to? I don't know the people.</p>

<p>I would call the humane society because the family the cat belonged to is probably wondering what happened and they may have been looking at the shelter</p>

<p>z-mom, Just recently, a group of ducklings somehow ended up in the sewage drain next to my house. My neighbor found the # of an animal rescue group and they came and fished the ducks out with these long nets and took them. Try calling a few places and see what happens.</p>

<p>Contact the parents next door and ask them if they have a missing cat just in case. It doesn't seem like the kids would be reacting like that if it wasn't their cat.</p>

<p>As far as bagging it and putting it in the trash - I just did this with a dead snake on our property but it was about 5 days or so until trash pickup time. Even though I double bagged it, it really was stinking by the time of pickup day. I ended up putting the trash bin far from my door but it was really awful. I should have done what I've done in the past with random dead animals which is to bury it. I've never had an issue with something I've buried being dug up.</p>

<p>If the dead kitty looks like he has been taken good care of, he was probably someone's pet. I'd first talk to the people next door to see if that was their cat. He might have a microchip under his skin that will help identify his owners. I'd call these guys and ask for their guidance: The</a> Humane Society Of New York If that were my cat, I'd want to know and take care of its burial and also reimburse the kind person who found him for any costs incurred in the IDing him and locating me. (My cats do not go outside the house, but they are microchipped just in case)</p>

<p>
[quote]
. It doesn't seem like the kids would be reacting like that if it wasn't their cat.

[/quote]

I was getting ready to go do that and they left. So I called 311 and they advised me to call back tomorrow.</p>

<p>Just an FYI just because you have never seen the cat does not mean it is not theirs. I have three cats and they are all inside only cats. No one would know about them unless they have been in my house. In this case it might have accidentally gotten out and killed. I would contact the parents and ask them.</p>

<p>My friend's daughter found her cat terribly injured in the driveway. The vet said that it would cost thousands to save it and there was no guarantee. She did not have the money, though she paid what she could from her credit card and called her parents for financial help.</p>

<p>Well, my friend did not want to pay that kind of money for a cat so injured that it was going to have issues even if the surgeries worked. There were a lot of tears and back and forth, until finally Dad stepped in and said he would front the cost.</p>

<p>At that moment, the girl's cat walked by. My friend's D let out a scream that was blood curdling. Scared the father and mother. It took everyone a while to figure out that the cat in the hospital was not the girl's cat. </p>

<p>We picked up a dead cat once that looked like our cat that had gone missing. I put it in a box and brought it home. My son took one look and could tell it was not ours. So then I was stuck with a dead cat. I did not want to return to the place I found it and dump it there. Yeah, I'd look real good dumping a dead cat like that on a roadside. I called several places that would not take it off of my hands. I wanted to put it on the front steps of our township offices that night, but since I'd already called them, I didn't think it was a good idea. H and son buried the creature in some woods. Son, who was 6 at that time wanted to take the dead cat to show and tell Monday.</p>

<p>Poor thing.</p>

<p>I have often shoveled dead possums out of the street on my block. I have a possum graveyard behind my garage.</p>

<p>My advice would be, put the poor thing in a garbage bag and a box, and put it in your garage or in the alley. Knock on your neighbors' doors and see if it's their cat.</p>

<p>If it's not the neighbors', and you don't have animal control in your area, call a local vet. He may have a microchip scanner and can locate the owner for you. I would want to know if my poor cat had escaped and met an untimely end, rather than spending sleepless nights wondering where they were. It would give me closure, at least.</p>

<p>If the poor thing is not microchipped, the vet could probably dispose of the remains for you. They do this for many of their patients whose owners do not want to have to deal with burial or cremation when their pet passes away.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that vets, at least the ones I've dealt with, usually charge a 'disposal fee' ($25 or something).</p>

<p>Couldn't get anyone on the phone for advice, so I wrung my hands, dithered and whined to my mother until my husband got home. He took the cat and disposed of it because he doesn't think it should be left until tomorrow afternoon. It is not the neighbors' cat. Heaven only knows where it came from.</p>

<p>What a classic tale of the difference in the way men and women think.</p>

<p>Women: Poor cat. Wonder about cause of death. Are the neighbor kids traumatized? Who are the owners? Who are proper authorities to contact? Microchip? Dither, whine, consult relatives. Don't make a decision. No action.</p>

<p>Men: Put corpse in bag. Put bag in public trash can. Miller time.</p>

<p>zmom - So sorry you had to deal with that. If it was someone's pet then you may want to call the local shelter tomorrow and descibe the cat so if the owner's call in the shelter can let them know what happened.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What a classic tale of the difference in the way men and women think.

[/quote]

Very, very true! My poor hubby!</p>

<p>
[quote]
If it was someone's pet then you may want to call the local shelter tomorrow and descibe the cat so if the owner's call in the shelter can let them know what happened

[/quote]

That's a great idea. I'm going to do that.</p>

<p>Cause of death, even if the cat does not appear injured, is probably being hit by a car. An animal that is knocked to the side of the road can die from the trauma and internal injuries without much visual damage. (OTOH, if you find a squirrel that is lying upside down and looks surprised, it probably blew up an electrical transformer. Bizarrely, this has happened twice in my neighborhood.)</p>

<p>My choice on finding a dead cat would be to photograph the cat, then bury it in my backyard. I would certainly let the shelters know what the cat's description was.</p>