Dead Cat

<p>We had this situation in our neighborhood once, a group of us had been out to dinner and came home, most of us drifted off to our houses. A few of guys the lingered to have another beer, They notice a dead cat in front of my next door neighbors house. He looks at it and says s**t that's my daughters cat! A debate ensues, what to do with the cat? My H's cousin lived across the street, renovating the house and yard the lawn was just dirt awaiting the sod. The guys have a brilliant idea fueled by cousin-in-law, we'll bury it in the front yard at his house! H's cousin hears the commotion and hollers out the window, "oh no you don't, this isn't Pet Cemetary!" (the Stephen King novel). So plan B, I look out the window and I see a couple of guys each holding a beer, one also holding a shovel and one also holding a dead cat. Well they proceed to bury the cat, 2 days later the neighbors daughter's cat shows up! So either it really was "Pet Cemetary" or a strange cat is buried in the neighbors yard.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Men: Put corpse in bag. Put bag in public trash can. Miller time.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>If you have a blog, I'd love to follow it. If you don't, you should. You'd have quite a following.</p>

<p>Some years ago, my neighbor knocked on the door. He asked to speak to me privately out of earshot of my kids. He told me he had some terrible news, that he had found our cat dead on his property. Then he said that it was kind of a terrible death and that the cat had hanged itself when it leaped over the fence and the leash got stuck. Leash? What leash? We never put our cat on a leash. He insisted it was our cat and I went over and saw a Siamese that looked just like ours except on a leash. I ran home and ran all over the house until I located our cat curled up asleep. I finally remembered some neighbors on the next block who had a Siamese. Sure enough, their grandchildren had been playing with the cat and had used a leash and the cat got away. I felt sorry for my neighbor. He was traumatized by going out to put out trash and finding a dead cat hanging on his door, having to break the news to me and hoping I'd figure out what to do with the cat, and having to take care of it because they weren't home at the time. Pretty horrible.</p>

<p>We found a dead cat on our front lawn once (coyotes, which is not pretty) and the city took care of it, thank God. There was no way I could or would go near it.</p>

<p>When I was in the Navy, I spent 15 months on a base in the Azores. The island had almost no beaches...almost all of the coastline was sharp cliffs. One of my secondary duties was to watch over the petty officer who managrd the barracks that our enlisted personnel lived in. We caught one female sailor keeping a kitten in her room--a violation of policy. We confiscated the kitten. We asked around as to what the local Portuguese folks did with cats nobody wanted. Locals told us to take the cat down to some guy (let's call him Jose) down at a junkyard. The junkyard was at the end of town, near the ocean. A sailor who spoke some Portuguese took the cat to the junkyard. He sees a guy and says "Jose?" The guy says yes, he's Jose. Our guy hands him the kitten, and Jose immediately throws the poor cat off the cliff.</p>

<p>"...if you find a squirrel that is lying upside down and looks surprised..." Here I am feeling very sad about dead cats, and then this makes me laugh till I cry.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What a classic tale of the difference in the way men and women think.</p>

<p>Women: Poor cat. Wonder about cause of death. Are the neighbor kids traumatized? Who are the owners? Who are proper authorities to contact? Microchip? Dither, whine, consult relatives. Don't make a decision. No action.</p>

<p>Men: Put corpse in bag. Put bag in public trash can. Miller time.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Whenever one of our chickens dies and my H finds it, my H digs a grave for it, buries it, and puts a large rock on top to make sure nothing digs it up. He has been known to leave the house with a shovel and drive back to where he saw a possum roadkill in order to "bury him in the woods where he lived." (Well, okay, we used to see that possum peeking out of the woods a lot and were both horrified when we spotted his body.)</p>

<p>When one of our chickens dies and I find it, I put its body in a plastic bag, double bag it, and put it in the garbage out in the garage.</p>

<p>I mean, I love my girls, but come on.....</p>

<p>In the case of a pet, though, I would contact the local rescue operations/shelters/animal control where a worried owner would be looking.</p>

<p>Snorted loudly at Schmaltz's description... Thanks for the Monday laugh. :)</p>

<p>We have a large field behind our back fence. I have a small animal cemetery right behind our fence - two of my beloved cats, D's pet mouse, a squirrel that lived in the tree in my front yard. We planted a large mimosa tree there so it is actually quite pretty. Call me sentimental...</p>

<p>Not laughing at your situation but this </p>

<p>
[quote]
Usually Sanitation picks up the deceased

[/quote]

made me burst out laughing.</p>

<p>I may move to where you live. Funerals here cost a fortune!</p>

<p>I used to live in a large suburb of Athens, Greece. Don't know if this was the policy of all of Athens or just the suburb...they had zero provision for picking up roadkill. Whatever unfortunate animal was killed simply stayed there until enough vehicles ran over it to reduce it to mush that might be washed away by a heavy rain. This wasn't a major problem if it was a cat or a small dog. But something like a dead St. Bernard might be there many weeks.</p>

<p>ewww, schmaltz. Nice to know we can always count on you for a graphic image!! Your first men/women difference post, though, was a hoot!</p>

<p>I was, admittedly, puzzled by the same line swimcatsmom quoted above. But for a different reason (I didnt catch the funny double entendre until she just mentioned it-- funny!) My thought when I read it was "zoos, your H works for the dept of sanitation. Surely he knows the answer to this question better than any of us."</p>

<p>BTW, Schmaltz, too funny! :D:</p>

<p>It probably would not be necessary for something as small as a cat, but there are companies that earn their living by disposing of dead animals -- and a veterinarian's office can refer you to them. (Obviously, vets are among their major customers.)</p>

<p>My mother, as an elderly woman, owned a large, elderly dog. The dog had developed major health problems, and my mom had decided to accept the veterinarian's recommendation for euthanasia. But the dog resolved the issue before my mom got around to taking it to the vet. One night, the dog died while my mom was asleep -- and it died in the bathroom doorway. My mom could not lift the dog and could not get climb over the dog to get into her bathroom, so prompt disposal of the animal was even more urgent than it otherwise would have been.</p>

<p>Mom called the vet. Vet called the animal disposal company. Within an hour, a large person in a truck arrived, removed the dog, and received a moderate-sized check from my mom. End of problem.</p>

<p>Sorry to make light of this topic, but scanning quickly, two topics of discussion merged to create one...this is what I saw:</p>

<p>Finally, I am biting the bullet and getting a Dead Cat.</p>

<p>I HAD to read!</p>

<p>I'm sorry. As an animal lover, I do not make light of this topic. I do animal rescue, and I unfortunately have to do my share of disposing of dead animals. Throwing a kitten off a cliff is not funny. I keep checking back here, hoping to find that the owner of the poor cat has been notified and can now sleep peacefully knowing the whereabouts of their cat. Unfortunately, the poor thing probably was homeless, and will be missed by no one.</p>

<p>I'll close by saying one thing.</p>

<p>PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!</p>

<p>Our very old cat slipped out of the front door one morning. We were very worried and searched the neighborhood for a couple days. Still nothing. Then 3 days later a neighbor called to say our cat was found dead in their flower garden. </p>

<p>Cats are known to run off and die privately and that's what our beloved kitty (age 15) did. We were SO glad to know what had become of him. We buried him in our pet cemetery.</p>

<p>zooser, if you have a way to email the neighbors to tell them of this event, I'd recommend it. Unless that cat looked really thin, no doubt the scenario I described above could easily have occurred. The peace of mind just knowing the outcome is worth alot.</p>

<p>
[quote]
zooser, if you have a way to email the neighbors to tell them of this event, I'd recommend it.

[/quote]

I have absolutely no idea who the cat belonged to.</p>

<p>We did, however, notify the animal receiving facility in case they were looking for it.</p>

<p>Breaks my heart, but this is NYC and we don't have enough yard to bury animals in, and it is hot, so I think my hubby did the right thing.</p>

<p>On a side note, we seem to have been adopted by another cat in the last couple of weeks. No idea where he came from, either, but he is a chunky orange guy with so much to say that we call him "Feisty Cat" and look for him every day. We give Feisty food and water when he shows up, which is not every day, then he naps on our front porch. If we don't get out there fast enough, he stands at the door and yells. I suspect he has a home, because he is a chunk, but we are working on a plan for keeping him warm this winter if need be.</p>

<p>^^ZM, you did the right thing.</p>

<p>Montegut, I'm shocked to see that some posters would find the kitten off a cliff story funny. I second your message: spay and neuter your pets!</p>

<p>Thank you, zoosermom, for being kind to animals. You know, ginger cats are good luck, so keep feeding and watering him! You say you're in NYC. I'll bet he's a good ratter, too! And feeding him will not make him less of a hunter. I have two very well fed outside cats, and rats never make it past my driveway. They get put in the possum graveyard, too.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'll bet he's a good ratter, too!

[/quote]

I'm sure that's true, but I'm fascinated by his personality. If I sit on the front steps he will sit with me and converse. I swear this is true. If I speak, he will respond back and forth and then if I'm quiet he will sit companionably. He must either have a home or have had a home because he is so social.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Montegut, I'm shocked to see that some posters would find the kitten off a cliff story funny. I second your message: spay and neuter your pets!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>If you are talking about me, my "too funny" comment to Schmaltz was directed at his men vs women post, not at the kitten/cliff post. That was horrible.</p>