Do I need to take the toefl if my sat verbal is 540?

<p>English is my second language but if I have over 500 on the sat what would be the point in taking the toefl?</p>

<p>It depends on which colleges you are applying to. Most colleges require TOEFL of international applicants whose native languages are not English, and they also require a certain score for those applicants to be considered for admission. Check the colleges' websites, and there should be testing requirements for internationals.</p>

<p>What about a 770 V and 800 Writing?</p>

<p>600 on the SAT Verbal or Writting portion is the standard minimum to proof proficiency in English for top schools. Even though Americans score less than 600. Less selective schools tend to be more lenient.</p>

<p>Less than 600 would be noxious. I have a 560 Writing and no TOEFL and I am well aware that it will be the key issue when determining a decission on my application, even though I went to a billingual school since 5 and including the fact that I work as a Spanish-English interpreter for the #1 interpretation service company in the US...</p>

<p>"Less than 600 would be noxious. I have a 560 Writing and no TOEFL and I am well aware that it will be the key issue when determining a decission on my application, even though I went to a billingual school since 5 and including the fact that I work as a Spanish-English interpreter for the #1 interpretation service company in the US..."</p>

<p>No offense, but I live in Madrid and I know people from bilingual schools whose English is pretty awful, I'm sure it's not your case though, so I understand why they make international students (whose 2nd language is English and who have been to bilingual/international schools) take TOEFL.
The fact that you are an interpreter however, will probably outweight your 560 in Writing.</p>

<p>I'm currently applying for a Student visa for Australia and they are making me take IELTS (kinda like TOEFL). I've been to British schools since I was 9, lived in London for 2 years, been accepted into the Australian National University (one of the top 7 in Australia) for English literature and had good A-level scores (Brit exams) plus offers from some British universities, with a 790 Verbal for SAT.... Yet they're still making me take IELTS. I agree with you guys that usually institutions ask internationals to take TOEFL and IELTS when their level of English has been proven significantly higher than required but those are the rules of the game...</p>

<p>yeah im from New Zealand (english speaking country) and I asked: hopkins, wustl, dartmouth, and rice (or brown? cant remember..i think it was rice) and they said I still have to take the TOEFL.
But they said that it won't really matter if my verbal score is over 670 or 680 (sorry can't remember that as well) because that will show a good english profiency. Oh and they also said that TOEFL is not a FULLY NEEDED admission criteria since I'm from an english speaking country but said it is recommended.
I think it's because my ethnicity is half Korean. But I was born here.. I'm kinda billingual, but I've got way more knowledge with the english language. But my first word was in Korean. So I guess my first language is Korean? But my I've spoken english all my life (Korean in minority) except for the one or two years? hmmmmmm I'm in a difficult situation.</p>

<p>So kids, I guess the moral of this story is - if your first language is not english, you have to take the TOEFL regardless of where you live. And if you live in an english speaking country,and your first language is not english, TOEFL won't be that much of a deal if you get over 670v....BUt HANG ON! this may just refer to JHU, dartmouth, wustl, rice (or brown but i think I emailed rice).</p>

<p>Yes. While some colleges say that if your verbal is at least 600, you are exempt from taking TOEFL, most colleges require TOEFL regardless of your SAT score, as long as your native language is not English. That's why I took TOEFL (my SAT verbal is 690); but I really don't know how they are going to use my TOEFL versus SAT verbal score in the admissions process?</p>

<p>i'm pretty sure that top schools will exempt applicants from non-native-English-speaking (phew) countries from the TOEFL requirement if they have verbal scores higher than a certain cutoff, and if they've been going through an English-based school system. you just need to look carefully in the admissions guidelines and email them if necessary. few schools require the TOEFL in every case. what i've said definitely applies to Singapore.</p>