Do military service members and their dependents qualify for in-state status at Michigan State??

According to this page:, the answer is YES.

A: If the student, the spouse of a student, or a parent of a dependent student:
is serving on active duty in the United States Uniformed Services;
is serving in the guard or reserves in one of the reserve components; or
has received an honorable discharge from one of those Services or reserve components.

Has anyone’s out of state student applied for and received in-state tuition at MSU if their parent served on active duty before the year 2000 and was honorably discharged?

Our daughter just received her acceptance yesterday and we had this very same question. You can not apply for in state tuition until after you officially accept. (Dad is retired from the Marine Corps and we are in NC)