Do you carry proof of citizenship when riding the bus on a domestic trip?

Wonder what the reaction would be if someone happened to be wearing something like that shown in this linked article:

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/sergio-romo-i-just-look-illegal-shirt/160790

Yes, when I’ve gone through the checkpoint, they asked if everyone in the car was a citizen and we answered yes. My daughter, who is Chinese, was asked no more questions than the rest of us. None of us needed to show ID, not even the driver had to show a license. It really took just a few seconds.

I’ve only been in one DUI stop and it was pretty much the same. They asked if I’d been drinking, I said no, and that was it. No DL, car registration, or insurance check.

Do I think they’d believe my kids on the beach in bathing suits (even though my Chinese child was often mistaken for Hispanic) when they said they were citizens and not believe the soaking wet people getting out of the ocean wearing jeans and sweatshirts who looked Mexican? Yes. I think they’d allow my kids to walk away and they’d take the others into custody.

I’m standing in > 2-hour line as I write this to get a new DLicense as my one I received earlier this month doesn’t have the star and gold circle and won’t work for air flights. I prefer not to fly with our passport domestically. We get to pay $6 for the privilege of getting it reissued. :(. Can’t get via mail nor online. Have to stand in line AGAIN.

Seems like an unauthorized immigrant who wants to swim ashore to a beach would want to do so wearing swim/beach clothing to avoid hindrance to swimming and be less obvious in this respect.

Nice sidestep of the question. If a Latino family was on the beach, not stepping out in wet clothes etc, would they be allowed to say “yes, we’re citizens” without showing ID. And if they are citizens, why should they be any more required to carry proof than you or I?

And are they asking each and every person on the beach the same question regardless of looks or are they racial profiling?

Both would be wrong to me for different reasons.

Phew, finally was approved for the RealID license with the star and gold circle and back home in 3 hours. The workers blamed the people standing in line for coming so early when they gave until 2020 to comply. I just want to be done and not have to worry until my license needs renewing in 8 years.

Sometimes the system breaks down, sometimes they are even more short-staffed, sometimes we have other obligations than being able to stand in line for hours.

So far I haven’t heard of anyone being hassled lately about immigration status in HI. We are a melting pot and gave lots of tourists. We are also a sanctuary city and state.

Neither H nor I have certified copies of our birth certificates. We do both have passports and global entry cards. I’ve had the birth certificate paperwork sitting on my desk for months. It will now get moved to the top of the ‘to-do’ pile.

It makes sense to have brith certificate and marriage license documents on hand.

In the situations I was involved in, I was only asked if I was a citizen and didn’t have to provide more information or documentation. That sounds like the situation on the Maine and Florida buses too, they were asked but not required to answer or provide documentation.

The people on the beach were suspicious and were questioned and detained. Yes, I think if the authorities see people running across borders or swimming in, they can and should ask for information.

A week ago, we have been asked by Mr. B’s employer to provide a copy of our marriage document to verify that I am an eligible dependent as a part of their internal “audit.” Hello? 15 years on the same policy… do they think we should have divorced by now?! In my state, we don’t have to be officially married for the benefit to apply. I am very tempted to fill out that part (cohabitation etc.) that does not require giving them a copy. None of their stinking business to ever see it.

I’d be tempted to ignore the request, @BunsenBurner. The most they’ll probably do is ask again. Consider it a form of passive resistance. :slight_smile:

I will fill out the “living together” part of the form and will let them deal with it. :))

I’ve tried over 3 times to comment on this thread, apparently I need approval. I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by opinions.

??? - I’ve never needed approval to comment on any CC thread. The mods will delete anything not allowed (political, link to blogs etc.) when they come across them but that is usually after they have posted. I’m not aware of any way comments are blocked before they are posted (and I’ve been on CC much longer than I care to admit).

If you include certain words or links sometimes a post is held for moderation @swimcatsmom

ah - ok. I guess I must never have done that (Have occasionally had some parts of words ***'d out and I’m not in the habit of posting profanities so am always a but puzzled :slight_smile: )

I’ve had some posts held too and there doesn’t seem to be a reason. It will post later with no changes and I can post during that period either to the same thread or others.

I’ve not had posts held but have gotten some ****s but no idea why—odd filter.

Most forums have a moderated comment feature. It’s possible for mods to set it so that a particular member’s posts have to be approved before they are posted. Not sure if that is what has happened here to some.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:

The message is usually caused by 2 things:
• A word which is not allowed, generally a profanity or an acronym that if spelled out contains a profanity
• A link which is not allowed, usually to social media or a personal blog or to a commercial site. Examples of links not allowed include, but are not limited to: Twitter, Facebook, Wordpress, Prepscholar, any url shortener (e.g. tiny url).

As an FYI, if your post is saved as draft, copy and paste into a PM to yourself. If something appears with asterisks, that is that part that you need to edit out.