Do you love your mattress?

<p>Our mattress is giving me back aches. It is time to replace it. Have you found a mattress that you love? From reading online reviews, it seems like most have a memory foam top, which sort of creeps me out.</p>

<p>A complicating factor: I am bony and H is far from it.</p>

<p>Suggestions?</p>

<p>Missypie, we have had our Tempurpedic mattress for almost a decade and still love it very much. H jokes that during his business trips he misses the mattress as much as he misses me. :) H weighs 1.5X my current weight, and we both find the mattress very comfortable.</p>

<p>We have a high end Stearns & Foster - no pillow top in our current house and find it quite comfortable. In our beach house we bought a memory foam pillow top 3 years ago and I don't really like it after a few nights. I sometimes have back issues and prefer a firm mattress, which this is clearly not. </p>

<p>Over the years, I have learned not to skip on matresses, as you do spend 25-33% of your life on them. One of our best mattress buys was a discontinued floor model that D1 used for 15 years and is now in our guest room looking as good as new.</p>

<p>Yes! We got a latex foam mattress from Foam Sweet Foam - the "Natural Plus" model. You buy it in layers and assemble it at home, so you can customize how soft/hard you want it. Very comfortable. I believe you can also get different pieces for different sides of the bed, but I'm not sure about that.</p>

<p>We have a memory foam mattress as well- H loves it & it is warm to sleep on, but since our summers don't get hot, it wasn't bothersome.
I prefer inner spring & at some hotels I have found the perfect mattress but I either forget to look or forget to write it down.</p>

<p>Given that I'm in the hot flashes stage of life, a mattress that sleeps hot would not be a great idea.</p>

<p>We had a "best mattress" discussion in book group the other night (not sure what triggered it--but it was before we started discussing the book). A woman in the group said that she hated the idea of memory foam--said she bought a Shifman mattress. It's mostly cotton and may have a small amount of latex. She raved about it.</p>

<p>I researched mattresses recently, I wish that it was possible to input your existing mattress info and find out what that is called in current models. We have a queen & a king purchased in the last 10 years each of which are wonderful, but I don't know how to replicate them.</p>

<p>I did read over & over that memory foam sleeps hot & since DH runs hot, no memory foam for us. We first got some sort of deep sided pillow top about 10 years ago and did not like it for the first month or so, ever since we love it.</p>

<p>I do love my mattress but my DH hates it. But he loves me so he puts up with it.</p>

<p>It's very old and hard as cement -- just the way I like it.</p>

<p>We have a Tempurpedic and love it also. Conforms to the bony or "less" bony bodies.</p>

<p>We have a second bed with a somewhat firm mattress. It was a bit on the uncomfortable side. I went to Target and bought a 2 1/2 inch feather alternative topper for it....then put a very thick mattress pad on top of that and it now feels like a Westin Heavenly bed.</p>

<p>We have a medium mattress and then a thick Tempurpedic memory foam pad on it. EXCELLENT! Soft and cosy on the top, but supportive and not creaky underneath. If the pad goes bad, we can throw it out but still keep the mattress. If we want a different feel, we can lose the pad or find a different one we then prefer.</p>

<p>I recommend against a mattress with a built-in pillow top: the pillow top eventually gets lumpy and cannot be removed.</p>

<p>We have a Serta Mattress from Costco. It sits on an old water bed platform. Love it....with the following modifications....</p>

<p>The base layer is a thick mattress pad, then comes a down/feather mattress topper, then comes the woolen cover with magnets... then comes the sheet. </p>

<p>Tried the mattress foam topper and HATED it. It was to hot and after only a few months you could see the body outlines/mold indications from the sweat which never really evaporates. Tried a anti - microbial foam topper which took slightly longer to develop the body/mold outlines. Neither my husband nor I run terribly hot when we sleep so it was not due to 'excessive' moisture.</p>

<p>I specifically stayed away from any mattress topper which was part of the mattress. It just seems to me that after a short period of time all the skin/moisture/etc would be permanently ingrained in this material. </p>

<p>And..I air out our layers of bedding often...all of it gets hauled out onto the deck to sit in the sun for the day. Several times a year I make DH and DS haul out the mattress to spend a day in the sun. After a few years the the layer of toppers gets tossed and I put on a new set. </p>

<p>So in answer to the OP's question, for us it is less about the base mattress than it is about the proper toppers and their subsequent care.</p>

<p>Not all memory foams are created equal. There is a huge difference between the real deal (the original Tempur material) and copycat materials. With a real Tempur mattress there is no need for any toppers or pads.</p>

<p>Like nj2011mom, we have a Stearns & Foster tight top that we both love. Before that we had a Shifman, which are excellent mattresses, but the prices have become ridiculous. </p>

<p>Neither of us likes the feel of memory foam, and warm is the last thing I need with my hot flashes. Most mattress websites (and boy, did we do a lot of research!) will tell you to stay away from pillowtops for the reason performersmom says: they tend to break down and get lumpy long before the rest of the mattress needs replacing.</p>

<p>we have a kingsdown mattress. It was a little pricey but works for both hubby and I. He needs a firm mattress and I can sleep on anything. We did a "rest test" at the store and laid on the bed for about 30 minutes. it was great. We have had it for 6 years now nad no problems yet.</p>

<p>I have a high $ Stearns and Foster (firm) in my master BR but it gives me a back ache so I'm on the hunt for a good topper. </p>

<p>FYI: Consumer Reports recommends to never buy a pillowtop since, as another poster stated, it get lumpy over time (same thing happened with my parent's king). If you buy a coil mattress, buy a regular top and ADD a topper for plushness.</p>

<p>However, my favorite (and would/will buy again) is my queen Comfortaire adjustable mattress in a guest room. They are manufactured in South Carolina and the customer service is beyond wonderful. I adjust the firmness based on my lower back pain level (fractured L4; degenerative disks). After 15+/- years, my air pump recently died and they sent another one without question along with prepaid FedEx to return the old one.</p>

<p>So I usually sleep in the guest room most nights but have to move out when my son's friends sleep over. If more than 2 stay, they race to put their bags on that bed and claim their 'territory!' One was even audacious enough to ask his parents to buy him one for his college dorm room! :)</p>

<p>Tempurpedic mattress is a bit pricy. The one equivalent sold in Costco online is much resonable and it is very good. We are very happy.</p>

<p>My husband and I bought a tempurpedic mattress and returned it. I have never heard of anyone not liking it but us. I can't recall what brand we replaced it with but it was pretty good...we now use it as a guest bed and everyone who sleeps on it comments on how comfy it it</p>

<p>We bought a king size bed two years ago and the bed itself was expensive...we had put a high end mattress from that chain store that seems to be one every corner ;)</p>

<p>We actually chose to downgrade the mattress and got a very nice Stearns and Foster. It is the most comfortable bed we have ever owned. I don't know what model it is , but we are very happy with it</p>

<p>Timely thread-- I was just thinking it's been 12 years and it's no longer a great night's sleep.</p>

<p>So I know my best most restful sleep is when I am on the beach- the warm sand is hard enough yet soft enough and I sleep for hours.
Could I get a box and pour sand it in -- cover with a sheet, heat and sleep on it?
Seriously- what might approximate that perfect molds to my body yet firm feeling of sleeping on sand?
(keep the seagulls however)</p>

<p>YES! LOVE your mattress. It's a Tempurpedic.</p>