Dropping Math

<p>Hi! I've been a long-time lurker of College Confidential, but I this is my first time posting, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place or anything.</p>

<p>I've had a high 80, low 90 in math all my life. It's a rather boring and useless subject in my opinion, since I know I don't want to go into anything that uses math. I took Algebra, Geometry, and I am currently taking Algebra 2/Trigonometry. I have the opportunity to take Calculus next year, my senior year, or Intro to Stats, or possibly an Accounting class. While I don't particularly take interest in science, I can still do very well in it. I excel, though, in humanities. I take Italian 3 and Arabic 1 this year, and plan to take AP Italian, Arabic 2, along with several other APs next year. If I were to drop math next year it would allow me to take another class, perhaps another language. I take Art 3 now and might take AP Art next year. I love it because it teaches me how to think outside the box.</p>

<p>My dream school is Georgetown, School of Foreign Service. My dad went there, so I got the legacy admissions going for me. Furthermore, we have a good family friend inside Georgetown (not going to say who) who said he can at least put my application and the dean's desk. I love to travel and have been all over Europe, Greece, and hopefully this summer I will be able to go to Dubai and stay with a sheikh there, thanks to my father's connections. I founded and run several online business which have been very successful. </p>

<p>Again, my dream school is the SFS at Georgetown, where you declare your major freshman year. Unless you elect to pursue the technology/science path, I really don't think you will ever use math of any sort. So why should the SFS care if I drop math in order to pursue another language if I don't plan major in science/tech.? Furthermore, doesn't this show initiative on my part to learn as much as I can in regards to what I'm interested in?</p>

<h1>My Stats</h1>

<p>92 average, but for the first quarter of my junior year I have a 94. I know junior year counts the most.
PSAT: 178. 72 in Critical Reading. 50 in Math. 56 in Writing Skills.
I have yet to really prepare for the SAT. I'm too busy studying things that are more interesting to me, like languages.
EC's: I have traveled all over the world, varsity wrestling freshman year, normal wrestling soph. no sports this year. leadership role in Entrepreneurial Club, involved in many other clubs. Have held plenty of jobs (some requiring leadership) which require thinking outside of the box, creatively, etc...</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your help! </p>

<p>Take intro to stats. I’m not sure what career path you’re hoping to follow, but most types of research (including humanities) involve statistics. It’s also useful in daily life, the way algebra is. Intro Stats is also almost entirely basic algebra and more logical than other types of math, so you might enjoy it. </p>

<p>I also want to add I have taken a received certificated for 2 Coursera courses: Constitutional Law from Yale and Entrepreneurship from U of Maryland. I am currently taking one on International Organization from U of Geneva.</p>

<p>“It’s a rather boring and useless subject in my opinion, since I know I don’t want to go into anything that uses math.”</p>

<p>…I would like to quote Neil deGrasse Tyson for this. </p>

<p>“Whether or not you ever again learn the math you used in school, the act of having learned the math established a wiring in your brain that didn’t exist before, and it’s the wiring in your brain that makes you the problem solver. “</p>

<p>Pay attention to colleges’ graduation requirements in math or quantitative reasoning.</p>

<p>they have none except for economics, ucbalumnus</p>

<p>While I appreciate your perspective on career and interesting courses your PSAT score indicates a far below SAT average for Georgetown. It’s doubtful that your legacy status or the inside track at Georgetown would be a help when it comes to admission if your SAT score is significantly below the Georgetown median. The likely conversion of your 178 PSAT is a 1780 SAT and relatively low scores in Math and Writing. What I recommend you do is fully focus on getting that score up to some number above 2050, with at least a 600 in Math. If Georgetown SFS is indeed your passion, put language study on the back burner and take the necessary math courses (possibly remedial ones) to allow you to bring your math skill up to an acceptable level for Georgetown. Start working with a tutor as soon as you can because it appears that you have a great deal of ground to cover. Then too take a critical look at what the PSAT is telling you about your writing skills, or at least about your test taking skills.</p>

<p>Its funny that you only have a chance because of your connections, not your merit</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Check the math graduation requirements at the other schools you are applying to as well.</p>

<p>fogcity, Of course. I have yet to prepare for the SAT. With preparation I am hoping to bring my grade up to at least a 2000.</p>