Let’s not go here.
I didn’t suggest U of Alabama. In fact I noted it was an example but it’s one school that diligently works to collect data and provides it in an easy to use format.
I suggested the student widen his search and used an example - given they have a budget and except for one school, listed a bunch that could happen but could also very well not happen.
Knowledge rate is not flawed. What’s flawed is that 1/3 of Ga Tech students bother to report. That’s a school that does not chase that. If a school shows a 90%+ knowledge rate, that means they know what 90%+ of what kids are doing.
The point is back to engineering is not prestige driven in most cases - and I was simply informing OP, using published stats, to show they should widen their eyes, especially when they have a budget. Hence I used the UM and Bama example. Ga Tech provides overall knowledge rate but not by major. btw - they show 66% of kids who wanted a job in aero got one (they measure success that way, not including grad school) at a median $85.5K. And I’m glad yours had a successful experience. You don’t think kids from other schools don’t get internships all over? Mine interned with (and lived with in a summer air bnb) two Ga Tech kids. He got a return invite - they didn’t. That doesn’t mean one school is better. That means, one kid meshed with the organization better or did what they perceived was a better job). And there were kids from Ole Miss, and LSU and Tennessee Tech, and UTK and Texas something (I think A&M there). There was an Olin too but that was the 2nd summer I think. And mine had 5 or 6 offers and 19 interviews by Xmas. There are a lot of schools that provide success - including the one your kid attends but not only that one.
And in his hiring cohort of 150 (engineers, supply chain, health/ergonomic people) - you had engineers from top schools and you had engineers from schools like Akron, Utah, W Michigan - and guess what - they all earn the same and do the same roles - and develop their careers from there). That’s the point that I’m making - and the salaries schools report show that - hence the example I gave.
But flawed - we can disagree.
And I would not use DOE data which likely relies on kids with loans. The GA Tech like kids at Bama are there on merit - they won’t have loans.
You’re a Ga Tech homer - I get it. But the data is not flawed - it’s reported on what is provided to the schools by students or that the schools can glean.
Nonetheless, you missed the point and mine started well above the # you quoted and his 2nd and 3rd year out made 6 figures. But it’s besides the point.
Again, the point is the OP should look at a variety of schools that can achieve budget and where they can attend. That’s the point.
I made the comment because they have a hard $50K and he’s looking at UIUC - which they can’t achieve. Even Tech today is over $50K but wasn’t for a while.
Even if it could achieve budget, it can’t - it’s not assured - and the point was not to just find a school in budget but to find one that can achieve near assured admission and budget - unless OP was ok attending UT Dallas.
Please don’t change the message that was given.