Facebook Issue

<p>I recently joined facebook and for the most part I enjoy it. I have re-connected with a friend from college as well as another friend whom I haven't seen for awhile.</p>

<p>But...I "friended" a family member (adult), and then received a friend request from one of her relatives (not related to me) whom I only know casually. I accepted. Now this person posts daily on my wall. Many of the postings are very political and not only extreme, but not my views at all. I have been ignoring those posts.</p>

<p>Is there anything else I can do besides the obvious "defriending"?</p>

<p>Ignoring and not commenting might work. Or you can just write on his/her wall and say, "hey, I enjoy Facebook casually and for fun - not really into big/serious discussions on it - thanks anyway" type thing.</p>

<p>I have actually "defriended" people that I was no longer friends with in real life. Their posts made me remember why we disconnected to begin with.</p>

<p>I wish there was a way on Facebook to designate whose comments can appear on our walls without defriending. LOL</p>

<p>There are ways to limit access of certain friends. In this case, though, it might be easier just to defriend the relative.</p>

<p>had similar experience. another option ~ you can "hide" the person's posts without defriending. hold the cursor to the right of the post and the word hide will appear. click on hide, and you can hide that person's post from appearing on your wall.</p>

<p>oh yes, thats right, lindz. I did that with one old college acquaintance. Good suggestion!</p>

<p>I hide people who start to tick me off. You can always unhide them later. Also, I try not to friend cross-gnerationally. Which ****es off my MIL! Bwaaaahahahahaha</p>

<p>I've hid a couple of people. Seems kinder then de-friending. First step is just hiding the farmville, mafia wars, etc...</p>

<p>
[quote]
I wish there was a way on Facebook to designate whose comments can appear on our walls without defriending. LOL

[/quote]
There is. There is a setting somewhere that can deny that person permission to post on your wall.</p>

<p>You can set up a limited profile and set which items those people can do, including whether they can see or post on your wall.</p>

<p>I do this with people from HS who I cannot recall, but feel like I should remember, so I want to take a little time to see if I can place them without revealing my entire life to them in the interim.</p>

<p>You CAN restrict certain people from seeing or posting on your wall. You can also easily delete posts on your wall. Go to the right of the post and there is a delete button. You can also block the feeds from that poster, so that you are not "un-friending" them, but you don't have to suffer through their status updates. I have a high school classmate "friend" who, unfortunately, had an accident and is brain-damaged. He posts inoffensive but very random things all over facebook in the wrong places- like under a picture I have of my family he will write a note to his daughter. I just delete them. No problem.</p>

<p>Darned if I remember how but I made a "list" for just these sorts of people. They see only what I want them to see of my wall, pictures etc and yes I also "hide" liberally.</p>

<p>It is hard for a lot of us female types to ignore a request for friendship but I do that too.</p>

<p>I have a hard time saying " no " to friend requests from people I used to know...but I also " hide " the ones who really get on my nerves with the non-stop posts and Farmville stuff</p>

<p>You can set up lists of who can see what by editing friends lists. Then you go to your security settings and select which lists can see what and limit which lists can post on your wall. Takes just a little to set up but not too hard. I have basically 2, one for immediate family that gets the family party pictures, and one that includes friends or friends of friends for wedding pictures,etc. I have also blocked all the silly games from my wall and notifications. You can actually do all this in a pretty granular fashion if you set up the lists correctly- and a list can have only one person if you need to :)</p>

<p>I just saw the new security settings and now the Scan for Privacy tool does not work. It seems as if you can still do the granular settings but can also choose more general ones.</p>

<p>So I can keep this person as a friend, but just block the political from my wall?</p>

<p>I also have some friends (in this case actual friends of mine) who play Farmville and other similar stuff. I would like to block the game junk, but still allow them to write on my wall. Is that possible?</p>

<p>Thanks, for all of your help. I was able to hide some junk with the right click thing.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I also have some friends (in this case actual friends of mine) who play Farmville and other similar stuff. I would like to block the game junk, but still allow them to write on my wall. Is that possible?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yep! Same way as mentioned above. As you hover over the post with your cursor, the option of 'hide' will appear to the upper right hand side of the post. When you click on hide, it will ask you the option of hiding 'Farmville' or whatever it is they play. From then on, whoever you are friends with that play Farmville, their posts will not show up in your feed. You have to do this for every game individually, though, but only once.</p>

<p>Thanks! I am going over to facebook now to do this.</p>

<p>Whoever thought that we really wanted to see the scores of our friends in Farmville or Mafia Wars in the first place?!</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up about "hide" !!!</p>

<p>I didn't know about that!!!</p>

<p>Thanks!!!</p>