Factors of the Presidential Scholarship?

<p>I know to be eligible for the Presidential Scholarship, I need an unweighted average of 95 or better and an ACT score of 33 or better. I have both, but what are the other deciding factors Admissions Officers look at when choosing the 25 recipients?</p>

<p>I think your involvement - leadership and service activities, etc, plays a decent role. Also the essay. The essay gets fairly decent weight from what I've heard.</p>

<p>Also, it's not the admissions dept that decides, it's the Honors College. Big difference there.</p>

<p>i don't have an UW GPA of at least 95 but UB emailed me recommending that I apply for it... is the min. GPA a requirement or a strong recommendation??</p>

<p>It is a requirement. "To be considered for this award, students must show outstanding academic merit with a minimum unweighted high school average of 95 and a combined SAT critical reading and math score of at least 1470. Students who receive Presidential Scholarships are automatically admitted to the Honors College and must maintain good standing within the program to keep their scholarship."</p>

<p>International</a> Education</p>

<p>I called the Honors college yesterday and there is no long a set GPA or SAT/ACT score that is required.</p>

<p>does anyone know when we find out decisions? I heard sometime in February but I'm not sure. Also does anyone know how Honors College determines along with the presidential scholarship whether you can have the seat at ub medical ?</p>

<p>

[quote="undertaker1664, post:4, topic:988993"]

It is a requirement. "To be considered for this award, students must show outstanding academic merit with a minimum unweighted high school average of 95 and a combined SAT critical reading and math score of at least 1470. Students who receive Presidential Scholarships are automatically admitted to the Honors College and must maintain good standing within the program to keep their scholarship."</p>

<p><a href="http://wings.buffalo.edu/intadmit/scholarshipsfresh.htm%5B/url%5D%5B/quote%5D"&gt;http://wings.buffalo.edu/intadmit/scholarshipsfresh.htm

[/quote]
</a>
The link you gave points the International Admissions page. I'm guessing the info on there is either outdated, or there are different requirements for international students, because my letter about applying for the scholarship says that students "typically present with" an academic average of 93 or higher, but that it isn't necessary.</p>

<p>Also, anyone know whether the academic average they're talking about is weighted or unweighted? I really hope it's weighted, because my teachers for my AP classes are really preoccupied with grade inflation (i.e., getting an A being the norm, rather than an indication of excellence), so most of the people in their AP classes get Cs, C-pluses, B-minuses and Bs, myself included... I hate it that so many scholarships don't weight grades... It's punishing me and others for not taking the easy way out...</p>

<p>This is a re-raise of an old thread. It's an unweighted average that they use for the scholarship, according to an honors college advisor who we spoke with at the Fall Open House.</p>