Farmboy Chances

<p>ok, maybe not a hardcore farmboy, but i do live on a farm in rural virginia.</p>

<p>what you all think my chances are at the following schools regular decision for engineering</p>

<p>uva -instate
cornell
columbia
vanderbilt
johns hopkins
carnegie mellon</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA 4.0
Weighted GPA 4.5
Class Rank 5/400
SAT I 720M/630V=1350Combined
SAT II: Math IIC 780, physics/writing to come
4 on BC calc, 5 on AB</p>

<p>500+ hours at local engineering firm - kid that worked there before me got into MIT RD w/ a 1370, so it obviously carries something (good rec)
national honor society
TSA President, VICA
varsity baseball and golf
Parks and Rec volunteer
more extracurriculars that i dont feel like typing</p>

<p>recommendations are pretty good
same with essays, nothing that will jump off the page though</p>

<p>Anywayz, feedback please!
Thanks!</p>

<p>I think you have a really good shot at all of those colleges, except I'm not sure how bad the SAT score will hurt -- but otherwise, looks really good. Good luck.</p>

<p>Wow! 4.0 unweighted... I only know one kid with a GPA like that. you've got a good chance! Maybe you can use farmboyishness as a hook? That's what I would do!</p>

<p>"500+ hours at local engineering firm - kid that worked there before me got into MIT RD w/ a 1370, so it obviously carries something (good rec)"</p>

<p>Not necessarily...that student could have had some other major hook to get into MIT ED. i'd say you're good at UVa and maybe Vandy. your grades are great but your SAT I is low for Cornell or CM engineering (Cornell engineering hovers around 1450 avg and CM is about the same). JHU is a reach but you've got a shot as long as you're not going for biomed.</p>

<p>Random person:</p>

<p>Are you being facetious?</p>

<p>that kid had lower class rank and GPA than me... he took presidential scholarship to georgia tech (full ride) over MIT. kid before him took a full ride a VCU (crap) but a full ride none the less</p>

<p>was he an URM?</p>

<p>no, both of them were white males applying to engineering.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ditusa.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.ditusa.com&lt;/a> <- check it out</p>

<p>yeah, I don't know what to tell you...it's obviously not common for a white male with a 1370 and an "average" (for MIT's standards) to get in, especially RD. in fact it's downright rare. our valedictorian got dinged EA at MIT with a 1540, 5x800 SAT IIs, and he worked for some compsci firm. so, I don't know how to gauge your odds...</p>

<p>thats unbelievable</p>

<p>but we are from rural virginia, fewer chances than other places else... we have had only 2 ivy acceptances in the last 10+ years, both last year... and one was an athletic recruit for brown. the other was our valedictorian.. book worm that was accepted off the waitlist at brown. It is very rare in my county for a person to get 1400+, this year there are about 6-10 in the county... around 700 seniors this year (2 schools)</p>

<p>anywayz, back to the original question, what do u think my chances are?</p>

<p>bumpity bump</p>

<p>I'd say your chances are decent. Just retake the SAT1 and don't miss any questions.</p>

<p>haha yes that is the trick on the SAT's isn't it?</p>

<p>Haha. Great advice. Don't miss any? Why didn't I think of that!? </p>

<p>Man I love this board sometimes. Anyways, if I was you I'd apply to UVA and be thankful I live in a state with great in-state education.</p>

<p>haha dont listen to cavalier302, he missed like.. 2 math questions or something like that.... cavalier302, dont forget that andrew missed 2 and got 780, u a 750, scott a 770, and regina 800... =)</p>

<p>what are you talking about?^</p>

<p>uva - def. in
cornell - maybe
columbia - maybe
vanderbilt - great shot
johns hopkins - good shot
carnegie mellon - maybe</p>