First Year Seminars and Course Selections

<p>I’m currently wading through all these courses and trying to pick an FYS to enter the lottery for. I was considering BIOL 0190D: Biology of Basic Vertebrate Tissues. I’m entering as a Biology Major, hoping to go pre-med and the CR said the course was challenging but informative. So, it seemed all good. Nonetheless, I had some questions:</p>

<li>If you are selected in the lottery to take an FYS, do you have to keep that course, no matter what?</li>
<li><p>As I begin my college career and get used to college level courses, I was wondering: Am I better off starting with One of the seminar “Biology Foundations” courses, or should I dive right in to the mid-level (<200) Bio courses? Both are suggested at the bio department’s website. But, I was wondering what would be more beneficial to help fill my major requirements, pre-med requirements, and my sanity requirements.</p></li>
<li><p>Are there any highly suggested courses for a freshman?</p></li>
<li><p>As a bio major, I’ll be taking a Bio course, and a Chem course. I’m trying to figure out whether to balance this with two humanities (like English and Politics), or try to get a Math requirement out of the way (regardless of my grade on the AP Calc, I have to take a math for med school reqs, right?)</p></li>
<li><p>I haven’t even STARTED yet, and I’m feeling overwhelmed. In a good way, in that I love seeing all these courses I want to take, and at the same time, feeling daunted by other requirements I might have to meet. I wanted to really do a PoliSci concentration as well, but seeing as Biology and Political Science are so polarized, suddenly, it seems impossible. For those of you who have double majored, how have you managed different subjects?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I am aware I will be getting an adviser soon, but I was hoping to get student comments and feedback.</p>

<p>-M</p>

<p>First step for you should be to read the requirements on the Biology webpage and on the DOC webpage for premed and for bio concentrators. Almost all of these questions have simple answers available in FAQs.</p>

<p>If you're sure you're going to do science even if bio/premed falls through, I'd be taking Chem, Bio and Math first semester. You may not need the math if you took the right AP and did well, however.</p>

<p>Thanks modestmelody. I've gone through all of the requirements for the Biology AB degree on their page, and I'll get course credit for any bio class (including FYS) but only NEUR 0010 will earn me an Focus credit. I'm debating now whether I should go with NEUR 10, go straight to a mid level (like BIOL 310) or do something with a FYS or <200 level. I don't want to overburden myself first semester when I'm still getting used to things. </p>

<p>What is the general atmosphere like in an FYS? Do most freshman take an FYS course? Are there any that come highly reccommended?</p>

<p>-M</p>

<p>Im kinda confused. Do we have to take an FYS course?</p>

<p>No, you don't have to take a First Year Seminar. However, you should look through the list and see if there's anything that is interesting to you. There may (or may not) be. It's a good idea to take one because it's all Freshmen, it's great profs who are probably particularly interested in teaching newbies, and the classes are pretty small.</p>

<p>If you get into a fys, you do not have to take it. During shopping period, you can try out several classes and then decide which you want to take. </p>

<p>The Critical Review is online; you can read student evaluations of many classes, including fys.</p>

<p>Ugh, confused again. So we DO get a shopping period? When is this?</p>

<p>Yes, you get a shopping period. It's the first (approx) two weeks of the semester. You will pre-register for your courses before you start. I think you enter the lottery for the FYS (if you want to take one) early, and then you will find out if you got into it. Then, probably in August sometime, you will pre-register for the other three courses. When you get to school and the registration opens up again, you will actually go to these classes, and you can go to any others that you might be interested in. That is the shopping period. If you find something that you like, and you don't like what you pre-registered for, you can change it. It is all done on line, so it's pretty easy if you take the time to do it. If a class that you want is full, you can usually talk to the prof and get an override so that you can register in it. At least this is what my D has told me, and others. I think that's about it!</p>

<p>Did you take AP Bio? If not, take Bio20, Ch33, and whatever math you need plus a completely different elective.</p>

<p>If you've taken AP Bio, I recommend not jumping into something like Bi50, Bi53, etc-- they're challenging courses for first semester students and something like BN1, a FYS, or something like a Cog Sci course would work better as a third math/sci. Maybe even Physics 3 if you need it.</p>

<p>I took AP Bio and I'll get credit for it. That leaves my first year pretty open. Pardon my ignorance, but when you say 'BN 1' do you mean Intro to Neuro? I've read the CR on NEUR 0010, and it seems to be a very worthwhile course. Does anyone have their own personal impressions of the course, it's difficulty and content? Also, I was considering taking BIOL 500 (Cell and Molecular) second semester (as suggested by the Bio Dept website)... would this be too much for a first year student?</p>

<p>Thanks,
-M, who can't wait to get an advisor.</p>

<p>Course numbers are generally given without that last 0-- that addition came only a year ago when we switched to Banner and most departments/students still refer to courses under their old, shorter numbers.</p>

<p>BN1 is what NEUR0010 was. It's the most popular course at Brown, so if you think you're interested, you should do it. EN9, or I guess ENGIN0090 may actually be a tad more popular, I'm not sure though...</p>

<p>does anybody know where i can see the list of first year seminars? because i cant find it</p>

<p><a href="https://apps.college.brown.edu/course_lottery/%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://apps.college.brown.edu/course_lottery/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Lottery closes Monday. You should have received this link in an email. Did you not activate your Brown account yet? If not, you better do so asap or you're going to miss out on a lot of requirements.</p>

<p>I know this is an old thread, but I had a query regarding CAPs. Will our CAP instructor most definitely become our Academic Advisor? Does this mean that I have to choose my CAPs very carefully? Also, are there some advisors who are better than others?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot everyone!</p>

<p>When a thread gets this old, best to start new one on your particular question. Then others don't have to read the old, somewhat OT early part of the thread.</p>

<p>If you take the course as a CAP course, they will be your advisor (though for most subjects, it doesn't matter in what field your advisor is as a freshman, since you'll probably change your mind on what you want to study and you can change advisors after freshman year). If you take the course without signing up for it as a CAP course, you won't have that person as the other.</p>

<p>There are definitely going to be some advisors better than others. What's more important, though, is that you go ask deans or other professors for advice when you need it. In that sense, your advising circle is much larger than your advisor.</p>

<p>@Uroogla: Thanks a lot Uroogla! You truly are a life saver!</p>

<p>@BrownParent: I will remember to keep that in mind the next time I post!</p>

<p>when do we hear what fys/cap we got?</p>

<p>That was what I was wondering too. I assume not until Tuesday at the earliest, but does anyone know for sure?</p>

<p>hey the second round starts tomorrow---anyone heard what they got/didnt get yet?</p>