Fitness, Nutrition and Health- All Welcome (Hardcore and “Light”)

It’s similar to a workout mirror. I have the Studio version, which I think they have just discontinued. It counts my reps, keeps track of my weight, tells me when to move up and has programs and challenges I can follow. https://tempo.fit/

1 Like

Never heard of that! Thanks for sharing.

I ended up being the single student at the orientation. (And was a little late… accidentally first went to the other location of the city rec center.) So had good individual attention. The instructor said that many of his students are recovering from various injuries etc because the straps can be helpful. For example, the straps enable one to lean back for a good form squat and then get back up easily (even if knee issues).

Will I attend any of the classes? Maybe, especially since I can do drop in ($7) instead of signing up for a series of sessions.

3 Likes

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaoncology/article-abstract/2841354

1 Like

Just checking in. I continue to play pickleball 3 times a week. I’ve more or less stopped riding outside for the winter, but I am trying to ride indoors a couple of times a week. I will likely start walking more (walked 5 miles today) and using the elliptical when the weather is chilly.

4 Likes

I was going to run today (have not been out in a lonnng time, due to travels and pickleball priorities). But it was pretty windy, so I decided to do stuff indoors and then in the yard. Now the lounge chair in the sun is calling my name - gonna finish my book club book. Worry not - I’ll be at indoor PB tomorrow 7am.

2 Likes

Spent the week at our condo in central Oregon. Between walking and golcing, hit my step goal every day

4 Likes

So as promised above, I did play indoor pickleball today at 7am. (Kindof have to show up, since I coordinate it - had 15 of us today, so fun!). Later the glorious weather encouraged me to get outside. Was not yet confident in doing my usually 5k run, especially in the 71 degree sunshine. So for some exercise variety I rode my bike to/from the lake (only 3 miles round trip - pretty flat), than ran 2.5k quite slowly. Still I feel happy to be starting to get back into my groove.

4 Likes

Got my bloodwork back from last week’s dr visit. Only out of range results were total cholesterol (but only 210) and once again a Vitamin D deficiency. Being darker skinned, I guess that I just don’t absorb it like I should, and I am radical about sunscreen, so that doesn’t help. Last time, doc gave me a Rx for high-dosage Vitamin D so I expect another, but clearly I need to take Vitamin D on the regular.

5 Likes

There is vitamin D in my multivitamin, but I still per recommendation of PCP do take Vitamin D too (though don’t remember it every day).

I would like to have 201 cholesterol. My last test was worst ever at 248. But since it is partly driven my my very high HDL 87, the PCP did not seem overly concerned. Your post is a good reminder that I need to pay more attention to health and exercise. In fact, it has probably pushed me over the fence on my decision about whether to run today.

3 Likes

I was worried about all my doctors ordering blood work without looking at what the others had ordered and, mostly, about me being charged for blood tests done too close together. My PCP said the insurance companies seem to care most about Vitamin D tests, which I thought was strange. Does it cost a lot more to test? Why would people be abusing vitamin D testing?

What I don’t get about Vit D3 is all the strengths it comes in. My first PCP said to take 2000 IUs per day and not the other dosages so I did, but why are 5000 IUs pills so much cheaper? and can I just double 1000 IUs (also cheaper)? My new preferred pill is K2/D3 and I had gummies from Costco and then those weren’t available in the store, so I ordered them and now THOSE are really expensive.

1 Like

Darker skin means that you need more UV exposure for any effects, whether good (vitamin D production) or bad (sunburn). Fortunately, it takes more UV exposure to sunburn than to generate vitamin D, but the amount to generate vitamin D without risking sunburn varies from one person to another.

Yes. That’s how I take mine.

1 Like

Hey, does anyone else use MyFitnessPal and find it down? What other food-tracking apps do people use?

1 Like

Im pretty sure that’s the one my sister has used for years. She likes it

I’ve used it for eight years, but now it’s gone! Says something about the beta experiment is done and thanks :flushed_face:

3 Likes

Someone here used it pretty religiously- I can’t remember who! That’s so weird it’s down!

OK, after trying it on both the desktop and laptop, it’s now working on my laptop! I already had created an account with MyNetDiary, which I don’t find nearly as intuitive.

1 Like

Wow, I haven’t thought about my fitness pal in a long time. I did use it many many years ago, but haven’t been a long time.

Interesting. I’ve been using MyNetDiary since 2017. Did not realize there wasany association with MyFitnessPal, for which I’ve heard good feedback.