Yesterday was my 2nd Tuesday of working out in the morning and playing soccer in the evening. TBH at around minute 70 I started to feel it in my thighs. Temperature was just shy of 90 and grossly humid so that may have been part of it.
Well you did it… Good Job ![]()
Thanks. I also had a monster game with a goal, assist, monster save , and some lovely defensive plays. So perhaps being tired has some benefits.
So when I read this post a few days ago, I had not heard much about creatine. LOL - when at Walgreens today persusing their protein powders and such, there was quite a variety of creatine options.
Be careful outside people… it sounds like the smoke from Canadian wildfires is going to be impacting many of us over the next couple of days.
It’s already here where I live. I was not able to walk this morning and my strength class was canceled due to the unhealthy conditions.
Being further south, it hasn’t hit here yet - nor will it hit as hard - but we are under an advisory. This morning the count was 84. We are normally between 35-65, so I figured that wasn’t too terrible and ran outside. I was much less enthused about the ultra muggy 77 deg at 5am.
Then I got a shock. 1 minutes into my podcast, I learned that one of the frequent traveling companions died in a plane crash. I saw the title “saying goodbye to Lydia” earlier, but they were in the middle of a multi-podcast series, where they rented a houseboat and were floating through Ireland. I figured, she had to leave to do something else, and they’d continue without her. This happens often. But no… she died in a plane crash in Brazil on July 3rd. Lydia Möcklinghoff, champion of the giant anteater, has died in a plane crash. She was 45 The podcast today was a very tearful tribute to her life and their friendship. It was very moving. I couldn’t complain about the heat/humidity/hills. At least I’m alive.
The other odd thing during my run… I’ve talked about before how after my grandfather died, pretty much every run at least one streetlight goes on/off as I approach. It’s usually a gentle on/off. I confess I barely notice them anymore. But this morning, as I was struggling up the first big hill, a light went pop right as I went by, then relit about 1-2 second later… A couple seconds later, it did it again. It was fine the next 2 loops past it. It startled me, but was a good reminded that my grandfather is still there. He always said he would watch over me and try to let me know it if he could. The only other time something was out of the ordinary (besides the usual) was the morning after H’s mom died a couple of years ago. So many turned off/on during my run, at some points it was like they were twinkling. Never have had that happen again even on the same route/same time the next day.
So it was a weird morning. But I got it done - 40ish min run, 20 min stairmonster, lift. Otherwise known as the usual.
Heading to the Canadian Rockies tomorrow for 2 weeks. I’m a little nervous, because of the grizzlies (not to mention the brown bears). Maybe this time both H and I will get bear spray. Last time we were there you had to have at least 4 to do certain hikes, which seems to be the case again. But it’s freaking me out a little now.
I have what some might think is an irrational fear of bears. I think it’s a healthy and reasonable fear!
I ditched an idea for early morning run when I saw air quality warning. Upon further checks two hours later, there were only ozone concerns not smoke. So I decided to run but had to deal with higher temps.
We have occasionally had black bears show up in or north Atlanta suburban neighborhood. But recently, we are having a lot of deer attacks. Lots of moms with babies in tow out and about in mid-day eating shrubs and low lying tree branches. They have been going after people getting out of their cars or walking their garbage cans to the street. Never realized you had to be afraid of deer. Warnings going out for people and pets to stay away if you see them munching in the yard.
Nice! Zion is on our bucket list. We did finally get as far west from home as Moab (Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse) a few years ago. But mostly we go east coast to see family. Setting out for 2nd summer trip to NY/MA (and also this time CT and NJ) next week.
A couple of years ago we did an amazing guided bike tour through Bryce and Zion, and we got to ride through the park early in the morning before they let cars in. It’s one of my favorite rides ever. We also went other places on that trip including Escalante including Hogs Back, or something close to that, which looked scarier to ride than it was.
We hiked/walked 13 miles in the Canadian Rockies yesterday. Today we rode our bikes 41ish miles with a couple we met on a bike trip to NZ. Smoke hasn’t impacted us so far, but next week may be different.
On Saturday I played pickleball 2 hours (with breaks, since loosers sat out). Since I had running shoes in the car, I ran a very slow mile on the nearby track. Today I again played 2 hours pickleball, with some of the time playing mellow threesomes. Had enough energy afterward to run 1.5 miles very slowly. But dang, the run was hot even though only 9:30am.
In health related news…
Today we did a lovely 3+ circular walk from Chipping Campden and Broad Campden. It was a good warm up for tomorrow’s 10 mile walk as we start the 102 mile Cotswolds Way.
We experimented with some new navigation tools and decided that downloading route to Garmin watch was not an optimal choice because it lacks context clues shown on Alltrails.
According to my Fitbit, I walked 29.4 miles yesterday, which is my 2nd highest total. The highest total occurred last month. Some stats from the earlier longer hike are extremely similar to yesterday’s hike, as summarized below.
- Miles Walked During Hike: Yesterday’s was was 0.05 miles longer
- Moving Time During Hike: Yesterday’s hike was 6 seconds longer
- Average Pace: Less than 0.01 mph difference
Some of the other stats have greater differences
- Elevation gain: Yesterday’s hike was 5200ft, earlier hike was 4700ft
- Max elevation: Yesterday’s hike was 10k, earlier hike was 11.5k
- Total Time During Hike: Yesterday’s hike was 14 minutes shorter
While the pace was the same, this hike felt easier than the earlier one. My dog also was more like her usual self. She was constantly sprinting after squirrels throughout the hike, never seeming to get tired. I suspect the difference largely relates to the earlier hike spending hours at >10k elevation with little shade, while yesterday’s hike did not exceed 10k and was through a forest with partial shade throughout.
Hiked 8ish miles yesterday, with lots of up and down hills, and today we rode another 41 miles on our bikes. Most of our ride today was the same as our Monday ride, but we also did a ride around a couple of lakes, which involved quite a bit of climbing. We saw a couple of “scary goats” (or some animal) along the side of the road with the horns or whatever that spiral. Fortunately, we went by them on the other side of a camper van, but it did freak us out a little. No bear sitings yet, although we think there was one near the road we were driving on yesterday, because lots of people had stopped and were looking into the woods.





