I own a house valued in the $1.1M/1.2M range in southern CA. My real estate taxes were $9650 last year, so about 0.85% . The official rate for SD county varies from 1.00% to 1.18%, depending on town within the county. However, the appraisal numbers used tend to be on the low side, often influenced by purchase price, so when you use actual values of homes, the overall rate is a little below 1%. </p>
<p>$1 million doesn’t go as far in SD county as most other areas. One of the most expensive areas of the country is La Jolla (particularly near beach). A couple examples are below:</p>
<p>For each town, north or east of La Jolla, prices become far less expensive. I live 3-4 towns north of La jolla and a few miles east of the beach. My home is 4000 square feet, 5 bed/bath, with a about 1/4 acre. It’s in a nice, suburban neighborhood with trails to walk my dog. Being a tech guy, the highlight of the home for me is the movie theater and home automation.</p>
<p>Mom60- true, " marginal neighborhood " is always going to be subjective. The house is just off San Remo Dr. which has sadly seen an increase in vandalism to cars and other troubles in recent years. Yesterday there were 3 SBPD squad cars on the little cul de sac where the house is located, though I don’t know what was up.</p>
<p>Dick Clark’s “Flinstone” house is not the same as “Flinstone” house I was referring to. One is in Los Angeles, the other is in San Mateo or Hillsborough, cannot tell. I guess Flinstone is every where…:)</p>
<p>For only half a million dollars one can buy a 7000 SF underground former atomic bomb shelter built by AT&T in Florida after the Cuban Missile Crisis in the 1960s as an emergency billing center. The first improvement I’d make to the place is attaching a seatbelt to the toilet seat sitting on an industrial spring designed to absorb shock from a nuclear blast.</p>