For rising seniors

<p>Senior class selection is on the horizon. Dean J indicates taking the fifth year of language is pretty important even if the students already have four years completed. Clearly math, science, English and some sort of social studies are also required. Does anyone have advice or suggestions? My D is a strong student aspiring for an "accepted" notice from UVA next year. SATs are yet to be determined, but does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?</p>

<p>I offer the following advice to all aspiring UVa students when it comes foreign language. Unless you are looking the Engineering school, take as much foreign language in HS as you think you will need to meet your FL requirement as a student at UVa. Check out the placement requirements on the CLAS web pages. </p>

<p>Even if you take an AP level foreign language, consider taking the SAT II for that language as your performance on either test may exempt you from the FL requirement. If you are considering ending your HS FL instruction after junior year, take the SAT II for that language, if there is one. If you don't score at the level necessary to be exempted, you should consider that 5th year of FL. If you do score high enough and replace FL with another rigorous class senior year, I doubt you would be penalized in the admission process.</p>

<p>Unless you are planning to be a FL major in college or are planning to start a new language (search prior threads on the pitfalls of starting Spanish at UVa), you would do yourself a favor to put yourself in the best position to place out of the FL requirement at UVa.</p>

<p>If you can't fit in a foreign language or if there is a scheduling conflict (happened to me) you can always ask your GC to explain that there was a conflict. I could only fit in 4 years even though I was signed up to take AP. Same goes with other classes.</p>

<p>AVA has good advice. Students need to demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language at UVa. Many do it before they even show up because they have SAT II or AP testing. If there is no testing, students will take a placement exam around orientation to assess where they should be placed.</p>

<p>Obviously, demonstrating proficiency early on frees up the schedule a little bit. :)</p>

<p>Competency</a> Requirements | The Undergraduate College of Arts & Sciences, U.Va.</p>

<p>It's a pity that a foreign language is something to "get out of the way". 4 or 5 years of High school FL hardly constitute proficiency. DS took French 1st semester even though he placed out of the requirement.</p>

<p>Competency requirements are basic levels of proficiency that are usually met early in the college career. I think it's expected that students will see them as a hurdle to jump so they can move on to more advanced work.</p>

<p>Students seem to recognize the value of being bilingual and trilingual. We see many who have doubled up on language in high school and there always seems to be a good number interested in continuing language in college. As with any subject, there are some who are happy to leave FL behind once they demonstrate proficiency. </p>

<p>From experience, I can say that one can go abroad and hold their own with 5 years of high school language behind them...if they've retained their lessons, of course. :)</p>

<p>I would add to the excellent advise offered, even if your student is intending on entering the e'school, have them test for FL proficiency. Students do change their minds. It's better to cover their bases then to be faced with a FL requirement when they transfer into CLAS. Sure, they have the opportunity to take the test at that point, however most will have been out of FL for quite some time and not test nearly as well as if they'd done it leaving hs. Just think of it as insurance.</p>