Gambling it all away....

<p>I am planning on starting my supplement essays ( y'know since most schools have released them with the CommonApp) and I just had a question for the UVA College of Arts & Sciences. For the question regarding what work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, I wanted to talk about a particular poem but also write my response in a poem-like format. Is this a definite no-no?</p>

<p>It's certainly a gamble (considering that UVA is asking you to write a supplement essay), but if you really own it and make it meaningful, it (the poem) may very well justify itself. If anything, at least attempt to write it how you wish to write it. However, carefully consider the quality of whatever poem you end up producing and consult with a few "wise ones" before taking that gamble. Also, keep in mind that in a poem it's usually harder to say things as clearly and with as much detail as you can in/with an essay. Also, I'm going to go ahead and guess that the adcoms also want to see how well you write essays more than they want to see how well you write poems.</p>

<p>I think it depends a lot on how much experience you have writing poems. Most students have far more experience writing essays, so writing an essay makes much more sense for them.</p>

<p>Poetry comes in many forms and admission advisers may have their own particular taste in what types of poetry they like (e.g. minimalist, imagist, surrealist, free-form, rhyme, etc.), so I wouldn't want to gamble writing a style of poem that could potentially drop your chances of getting accepted, especially because the admission officer may not perceive it the way you do, because again, poetry is subjectively understood. </p>

<p>Remember, the admission officers have to read thousands of essays. They don't have the time to interpret what you are saying. They want the essay to be clear and concise. There are other ways of being creative other than writing a poem.</p>

<p>i think maybe i should clarify.. i want to talk about a specific poem from a well known poet ( i'm not going to elaborate further for the sake of keeping my ideas original, but when you see it you know its ____) and I want to write reaction/ emotional response in the same style of the poet.</p>

<p>I plan on majoring in either English or History... so I kinda feel like it isn't really that far of a stretch. Is it?</p>

<p>Well, you have to consider that the admission officer reading your essay/poem response may have never encountered the poem you are referencing to, so responding in that same manner may not help you at all. </p>

<p>Also, I attended a school for creative and performing arts, and majored in creative writing for four years in high school, so I can honestly say that responding to a poet's subject matter in the same style of the poem may be difficult, especially because you may be saying the same thing as the poet. It is very hard to "mimic" a poet's own style. I'm not saying that you can't do it; you really need someone to look over it to make sure you have a clear focus, a clear argument and response, and you are not mimicking the poet. You need to add your own flair to it, not the poet's.</p>

<p>How about trying part essay part poem? That way you can show that you can write about the poem in a essay like descriptive paragraph and then show your flare with some poetry of your own.</p>