Help other young leaders around the world.

<p>Chase community giving is hosting a contest to give $500,000 to the winning charity (and varying amounts to other high-ranked charities. I would like to encourage you to vote for Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership (HOBY). HOBY is a leadership program that teaches outstanding young people like many of us on CC to be leaders in their communities and the world. Their emphasis is on service learning, and they inspire youth to be more involved in volunteering and service projects. Their "Big Idea" for the contest is to host the first ever online Global Leadership Summit. This would be a week long event allowing Youth from 30 countries, many of which could not afford to attend similar seminars otherwise, to meet with international leaders through the power of video and social media. They would look to tackle worldwide issues like hunger, poverty etc.</p>

<p>Anyway, a regular HOBY seminar I attended last year was easily the best experience of my life to date. It has changed my perspective on service and leadership, not to mention I have met many of my greatest friends there. It truly is a life changing experience. Please help out a fellow CC'er and young leaders worldwide by voting for HOBY.</p>

<p>On facebook search "Chase Community Giving", then like it. Next in the charity search type HOBY and follow directions from there.</p>

<p>I hope given the circumstances I can just link you there: Chase</a> Community Giving on Facebook | Facebook</p>

<p>If this is not okay, mods please just remove the link rather then closing the thread. </p>

<p>Thanks so much from a fellow CC'er.</p>

<p>Bump,,, If you vote post here just so I can see if this post is helping at all :D</p>

<p>"Young leaders"? What, like [url=<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc%5Dher%5B/url"&gt;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc]her[/url&lt;/a&gt;]?&lt;/p>

<p>I'm all for young people getting involved, but are they really "leaders"? Should they be?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Their "Big Idea" for the contest is to host the first ever online Global Leadership Summit. This would be a week long event allowing Youth from 30 countries, many of which could not afford to attend similar seminars otherwise, to meet with international leaders through the power of video and social media. They would look to tackle worldwide issues like hunger, poverty etc.

[/quote]

I don't want to be mean, but what are they going to do besides talk about poverty and write it on their resumes? World powers, the Red Cross, billion-member churches, the UN, and countless activists haven't done nearly enough, yet a group of teenagers in a "leadership summit" will make a difference?</p>

<p>No, not the point. The point is to develop the next generation of "countless activists" and Presidents/CEO's of the Red Cross and so forth. I'm not talking about instant change, but like it or not today's youth are tomorrow's leaders. </p>

<p>And they ARE leaders. Not WORLD leaders, but within their school, families, churches, towns etc etc etc. They are doing good things, helping others, and learning about themselves. I would argue that most CC'ers could be called leaders in that they are setting the example for others in their schools by getting good grades, actively seeking knowledge, running StuCos, etc. </p>

<p>Either way, someone has to get that money from Chase and they are doing more for the world then about 15-17 of the charities above them in the rankings, so it couldn't hurt to vote. Not to mention it is a GREAT summer experience for people. It was possibly the greatest weekend of my life, and it has pushed me to do much more in my community. The "big idea" could give at least a part of this experience to kids across the world and in less fortunate countries where such camps don't exist and travel to the US in not conceivable.</p>