Hi everyone, I am really struggling with my final decision of Wesleyan University vs Kenyon College. The biggest factor right now is that Kenyon offered me a scholarship that would lower the overall cost of attendance to $50k per year, while Wesleyan remains at about $80k. Would the money saved be worth it, or would the advantages Wesleyan has in terms of prestige, location, and network benefit me most in the long run? I should note that I wouldn’t go into debt if I went to Wesleyan; however, I would have a lot less money saved if I wanted to go to graduate school, which is a significant possibility. Some things I’m taking into consideration:
- I am not quite sure what I want to major in, which is why a broad liberal-arts education appeals to me. Would either school be significantly better for the fields of journalism, politics, or economics?
- My biggest concern about Wesleyan besides the money is the culture of activism. Kenyon is obviously liberal but I didn’t get the impression that the social justice scene dominated campus like it seems to at Wesleyan. Would I fit in as a moderate to conservative person at Wes?
- I love the focus on writing at Kenyon and all the student-run publications. Wesleyan has a lot more prominent alumni, however. Is the value of Kenyon education at the same level?
- LACs are often known regionally and I’m not sure if a school in Ohio like Kenyon would give me the same opportunities on the East Coast as Wesleyan, which is well known in the area.
- Any info on the overall vibe of the campus? All the Kenyon students I’ve talked to have been incredibly friendly people, and I felt very welcome when I visited campus. Unfortunately, Wesleyan didn’t allow visits this year, so I don’t feel like I have quite as much of a grasp on the student culture/friendliness.
- Wesleyan seems great in terms of top graduate school placement, certainly better than Kenyon.
Any input would be appreciated! Thank you so much for your help!!